VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms (95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images.
I basically started VirtualDub in college to do some quick capture-and-encoding that I wanted done; from there it's basically grown into a more general utility that can trim and clean up video before exporting to tape or processing with another program. I released it on the web and others found it useful, so I've been tinkering around with its code ever since. If you have the time, please download and enjoy.
Modified versions of VirtualDub:
- VirtualDubMod - A popular modified version of VirtualDub with improved stream handling and other features
- VirtualDub MPEG-2 - modified to support MPEG-2/ASF/WMV input
For your VirtualDub questions, please refers to our VirtualDub Forum
, and let our resident experts answer them for you.
The official change log for version 1.8.1 is as follows:
- [features added]
- The 'run as job' setting is now saved in the Save AVI dialog.
- Added distributed job queue mode.
- Added bob and non-interlaced field display modes to render preview.
- Added new test video mode: interlaced cube.
- Added option to run video compressor in a separate thread for better dual
- YCbCr resampler is now SSE4.1 optimized.
- Added command-line switches for minimizing/maximizing the window on
startup and setting process priority.
- AMD64: The threshold, grayscale, levels, logo, and brightness/contrast
video filters are now available.
- Plugins: Fixed bugs with and raised size limits for serialized input
plugin options data.
- [bugs fixed]
- Fixed cases where the crop/letterbox to aspect ratio options in the resize
filter were broken.
- Fixed another rare crash when exiting filter list dialog.
- Fixed Postpone and Delete buttons in job control dialog sometimes not
updating when a job state changes.
- Fixed swapping of AVI superindex and subindex settings.
- Fixed bugs with cropping in filter chain with YUY2 or UYVY formats.
- Mouse wheel scrolling with Shift held down (by key frame) now works
- Fixed infinite loop when attempting to convert a pal8 source to 4:2:0
- The initial load of AVI files is now faster over a network.
- TARGA files are no longer written all black when 32-bit RGB output is
- Added workaround for "image not in Y or YCbCr format" errors when reading
JPEGs from a RAZR V3 phone.
- Deleting a filter in the filter list no longer causes the checkboxes to
desync from the actual filter enable states.
- AVI: Files with truncated hierarchical AVI indices no longer result in
"missing 'movi' chunk" errors and can now be recovered.
- DV: Fixed decoding issue that resulted in some lost blocks.
- DDraw: Fixed occasional crash when another application forces full-screen
- Capture: Fixed crash in OpenGL screen capture mode related to occlusion
query based frame dropping.
- Capture: Fixed hang on shutdown when exiting with OpenGL screen capture
- [regressions fixed]
- Fixed crash when a script specifies arguments for a video filter that
doesn't take any.
- Data rate was reported incorrectly for the video stream in the status
- Fixed audio display.
- Fixed crashes and decompression errors with paletted video.
- Filter preview no longer shows bogus frames when previewing a filter chain
with edits on the timeline and no frame rate changing filters.
- Filters: Codec-friendly alignment works in resize filter again.
You may download this updated version here