This is the version history page for DVBViewer, showing the last 20 software updates. You can return to the main page for this software by clicking here.
- Version 22.214.171.124 (Sep 8, 2019)
- Version 6.1.5 (Jul 23, 2019)
- Version 6.1.4 (Jan 28, 2019)
- Version 6.1.3 (Jan 14, 2019)
- Version 126.96.36.199 (Sep 21, 2018)
- Version 6.1.2 (Aug 20, 2018)
- Version 6.1.1 (May 15, 2018)
- Version 6.1.0 (May 1, 2018)
- Version 6.0.4 (Nov 2, 2017)
- Version 6.0.3 (Jul 19, 2017)
- Version 6.0.1 (Apr 20, 2017)
- Version 6.0.0 (Apr 13, 2017)
- Version 5.6.4 (Jul 12, 2016)
- Version 5.6.3 (Jul 5, 2016)
- Version 5.6.2 (Apr 3, 2016)
- Version 5.6.0 (Mar 7, 2016)
- Version 5.5.2 (Sep 14, 2015)
- Version 5.5.1 (Aug 30, 2015)
- Version 5.5.0 (Jul 27, 2015)
- Version 5.3.2 (Nov 19, 2014)
- Release Date: Sep 8, 2019
- Fix: Hardware: Switching between the DVB-S2/T2/C reception types with the TBS 5580 USB box did not work.
- Fix: Hardware: Auto-detection of DVB-T2 and additional DVB-T2 (MPLP) sub-streams on a channel search and reception of other than the first DVB-T2 sub-stream did not work with TBS devices.
- Added: General: Basic support for the Chinese video format AVS (including AVS+ and AVS2) and the audio format DRA, so that channels that are using these formats can be found with a channel search, received and recorded, but not played yet (see here).
- Change: Picture in Picture: Enhanced resize handling of the separate PiP Window if it sticks to one of the screen edges.
- Release Date: Jul 23, 2019
- Added: Picture in Picture: New items in the PiP context menu:
- Favorite Plus/Minus: Switches PiP playback to the next / previous favorite that is available for PiP. The items are only visible if favorites are configured.
- Channel List: Opens/closes the channel list window or puts it to the front in full screen mode. The window allows to select the channel for PiP playback by right-clicking it and selecting “Picture in Picture” in the context menu (provided there is a tuner available for additionally playing the channel).
- Show in a Separate Window: Switches PiP display to a separate (independent) video window or back to the window embedded in the DVBViewer main window. The separate window can be moved freely to any screen position. Since it redirects keyboard input to the main window, PiP can be controlled as usual with the OSD, particularly with the OSD context menu that appears after pressing OSD Blue (by default F8).
- Full Screen: This item is only available in “separate window” state. The command switches PiP to full screen or back to window mode. The same can be achieved by double-clicking the PiP area. When changing to full screen mode, PiP audio playback is automatically switched on and main window audio playback off. This can be toggled at any time by using the “Picture in Picture Audio on/off” context menu item or clicking the PiP area with the middle mouse button.
- Change: Picture in Picture: Faster channel swapping between Picture in Picture and the Main Window by avoiding unnecessary device deallocation and reallocation if different devices are used. The Channel Plus/Minus items of the OSD context menu for PiP now respond to the “Favorites based OSD navigation” tweak (see Tweaker.exe) by changing to Favorite Plus/Minus.
- Fix: Picture in Picture Options: PiP playback was not rebuilt after a change in the PiP options (e.g. a different decoder). In a new DVBViewer installation PiP used the wrong video renderer as default, though the PiP options displayed the correct one as selected, causing no picture under Windows 10.
- Added: Channel Editor: Picture in Picture tool button and context menu item that plays the selected channel as Picture in Picture. The function is disabled if there is no tuner available for (additionally) playing the channel.
- Fix: Recorder: When recording in MPG format a flag in the video header (sequence parameter set) was changed erroneously, particularly affecting video editing software (see here).
- Fix: Recording Timers: Timers with weekly repetitions for programs that start at or a short time after midnight with a lead time extending into the previous day were not handled correctly and not displayed in the EPG as already scheduled.
- Change: Timer Recordings: DVBViewer omits a forced channel switching caused by a starting timer recording for which the tuner is needed, if timeshift is active and the playback position is in the past (also in pause mode). Although Timeshift recording has to be stopped, the timeshift file is kept, so that timeshift playback can continue. This also applies, if DVBViewer is configured as Media Server client and the server can't deliver the current channel anymore due to a starting timer recording.
- Fix: Media Server Client: If timers were delegated to the Media Server, editing them always let the selection jump to the last added timer in the Timer Recordings window instead of keeping it. Options → DVBViewer Media Server → Download channel logos from the server did not work with logo filenames containing blanks (see here).
- Added: RTSP Client: Automatic port detection if Tvheadend as server uses the non-standard port 9983 for RTSP, because port 554 is not available due to missing Linux root rights. Additionally DVBViewer tries the alternative RTSP standard port 8554, if the “Automatic RTSP server IP:Port correction” tweak is switched on and the configured server is unreachable via the RTSP standard port 554.
- Added: Hardware Options: “Scan Sat>IP Servers” button. It lets DVBViewer search for Sat>IP (RTSP) servers in the home network and automatically insert RTSP network device entries for all tuners (DVB-S/T/C) reported by the server at the top of the device list. Please note that this button is disabled if DVBViewer is configured as Media Server client (see Options → DVBViewer Media Server). In this case the search should be performed in the Hardware Options of the associated Media Server, followed by Help → Media Server Wizard in the DVBViewer client for updating the RTSP network devices, if necessary.
- Change: Hardware Options: Selecting a server in the RTSP Sat>IP settings dialog automatically sets the tuner type to a type offered by the server, if the information is available. Previously it was always set to “Satellite” as default for newly added devices.
- Change: Hardware Options: The “Status” drop-down list (previously offering “Do not use” and “Normal”) has been replaced by a simple “Use device” checkbox below the device list.
- Fix: Hardware Options: After hardware configuration changes DVBViewer did not recalculate if timers can be executed.
- Change: Media Server Wizard: The Wizard does not delete RTSP devices from the device list entries anymore that belong to other Sat>IP servers than the associated DVBViewer Media Server, but only disables them by switching “Use Device” off.
- Added: Main Window: Help → Change Log menu item that displays the DVBViewer change log in the browser. It contains hints for new or changed functions. By using the search function of the browser (Ctrl + F) you can find topics that you are interested in.
- Fix/Change: Recording/Device Statistics Window: Some adjustments on the Device Status tab (automatic adjustment of the column width to the window width, useless device status display removed, the device list did not respond to auto-creation of a new TS Stream device).
- Change: Channel List / Playlist: Enhanced handling of M3U import if additional information preceding the channel name in #EXTINF tags contains commas. Now DVBViewer assumes that the channel name begins after the first comma outside of double quotes.
- Release Date: Jan 28, 2019
- Fix: EPG Window: Text in the simple timeline view was not centered vertically.
- Fix: Recording Timers: Potential access violations or read of undefined (random) memory contents, if the timer list contained timers for the TS Stream reception type.
- Fix: Recording Timers: New timers (particularly those created on the “EPG per Channel” tab of the EPG Window) were not automatically selected and scrolled into view in the Timer Recordings window, if open.
- Fix: Hardware: If the handling of TBS 5520 SE / TBS 5580 / 5590 USB boxes as DVB-S2/T2/C hybrid tuners failed, the whole device initialization failed (see here). Now it falls back to normal mode where the demodulator type has to be selected by using an external TBS switching tool. Failure logging has been added.
- Release Date: Jan 14, 2019
Added: EPG Window: New “Record Series” command in the context menu and as button. It is only available if DVBViewer is configured as Media Server client (version 2.1.3 or later required), with Options → DVBViewer Media Server → Send timers to the server switched on. The command lets the Media Server create timers for all programs of the same channel with the same title (without appended season and episode numbers) that are currently present in the EPG. Additionally the Media Server creates a search preset that enables automatic timer creation for further episodes. Program repetitions yield deactivated timers that are not executed. For this purpose the Media Server compares the programs with already existing recordings and timers. Please note that this function may create scores of timers at once. For programs that are always broadcasted at the same time on the same day(s), recurring timers with daily/weekly repetition are much more efficient.
Added: Media Server Client: “Parameters for series recording” tweak (→ see Tweaker.exe). It allows to modify the /api/searchadd.html URL that DVBViewer sends to the Media Server to let it execute the "Record Series" function offered in the EPG window (see above). Further information about this topic will be provided on demand in the DVBViewer Forum.
A forced early recording stop by closing DVBViewer or shutting the PC down keeps the timer in a waiting state, causing the recording to be restarted as soon as DVBViewer is relaunched or wakes up, provided the end time has not been reached yet.
Please note that deactivating a timer manually always stops a corresponding ongoing recording (as before).
Fix: Recording Timers: Recording timers for TS Stream channels were wrongly marked as “not executable” in the timer list, if there was no TS Stream device in the hardware list. The functions that checks if timers are executable did not consider that TS Stream devices are auto-created on demand. However, only the UI was affected. The timer was executed anyway.
Change: Recording: The TV/Radio → Recording Statistics → Recording Status context menu → “Split” menu item now requires the new tweak “Allow manual split of recordings” to become visible (see Tweaker.exe). It also lets this menu item appear in the Main Window → “Record Current Channel” submenu for ongoing manual (instant) recordings. The “Split” function lets the recorder continue the recording in a new file with a number 00x appended to the filename. The split is lossless, so that the parts can be concatenated gaplessly (e.g. by using the TSPlayer). DVBViewer is able to play them as if they were one file. However, the Media Server only considers the first part.
Added: Recording: TV/Radio → Recording Statistics → Recording Status context menu → “Delete and Restart” menu item. It stops and deletes an ongoing recording and immediately restarts it. Previously this function was only available in the “Record Current Channel” submenu for ongoing manual (instant) recordings. Please note: DVBViewer Media Server 2.1.3 or later is required for this function, if DVBViewer delegates recordings to it.
Fix: TV/Radio Playback: Live stream playback (particularly via UPnP, HbbTV or the Open URL dialog) could fail if Options → TV/Radio → Fast Channel Switching was switched off.
Fix: TV/Radio Playback: Missing video format detection in case of switching channels with HEVC video and Lentoid decoder usage. A changed resolution caused a wrong picture size.
Added: TV/Radio Playback: Method for performing adjustments to the video/audio format later if a necessary format detection on playback start does not succeed within a 3 seconds timeout. This enables for example HEVC playback with the Lentoid decoder or ADTS AAC playback with the Microsoft audio decoder in certain cases where it previously failed.
Added: Subtitles: Support for ATSC closed captions (CEA 608) embedded in H.264 video, including US internet streams. Please note that DVBViewer only searches for captions in live H.264 video if the reception type is ATSC or TS Stream, the latter requiring Options → Subtitles → Always check for ATSC captions to be switched on.
Program appearance and behavior
Added/Fix: General: Color management that enhances the DVBViewer appearance in case of Windows designs with a dark background. Several DVBViewer defined colors that don't correspond to system colors are now adjusted to the Windows design. The color definitions for bright and dark designs can be tweaked in the file setup.xml. More information about it will be published on demand.
Fix: Main Window: Under Windows 10 a framed main window snapped to the screen edge did not keep this position after a DVBViewer restart. If View → Show Frame was switched off, but a temporary frame for resizing was visible, switching to another display mode like full screen and back changed the “Show Frame” setting to on. Additionally a frameless window, that was snapped to the screen edge, moved away from it after resizing.
Added: General: Additional windows (besides the main window) snap to the screen edge: EPG, Timer Recordings, Recording Statistics, Teletext, Channel List etc.
Change: OSD: Channel switching by number input now uses the Mini EPG for channel preview, not the display at the main window top anymore. Additionally DVBViewer immediately switches over to the channel and does not wait for another digit if the previous input already specifies the channel unambiguously, e.g. favorite number 4 if there are only 35 favorites. In case of 1-based channel numbering the zero key now switches back to the previous channel (formerly without effect).
Change: EPG Window: New timeline design that indicates the program genres by colors (see here). The tweak “Simple timeline view in the EPG window” (see Tweaker.exe) allows to revert to the simpler timeline view of version 6.1.2 and earlier. The colors and properties of both timeline views can be tweaked in the file setup.xml. More information about it will be published on demand.
Network & Hardware
Added: Channel Editor: Channel list import plug-in (ImportConf.dll) for the channel.conf files of the Linux VDR, particularly those offered by Vodafone/Kabel Deutschland for cable reception in different regions. Simply drag & drop the downloaded file into the Channel Editor. Additionally future Transedit uploads will be able to create transponder lists out of conf files.
Change: TS Stream / Channel Editor: HTTP header instructions for Kodi appended to URLs are now automatically translated to the corresponding DVBViewer commands on M3U playlist import (previously only on manual URL input, see here).
Fix: TS Stream: Channel auto-update issues if a TV server (e.g. Dreambox) delivered the originally broadcasted PAT (Program Allocation Table), that enumerates all services of a transponder. In certain cases DVBViewer was not able to determine in a timely manner which service and which video/audio/subtitle streams were actually contained in the received transport stream (see here).
Added: IPTV: Batch file DVBViewer_IPTV_Firewall_Rules.bat for setting up firewall rules that allow to receive (multicast) UDP IPTV originating from outside the home network, e.g. T-Entertain/Magenta TV. Please note: The file must be executed with administrator rights (right-click it → Run as administrator). Only use this file if DVBViewer is running behind a router. The file DVBViewer_Firewall_Rules.bat can be used to return to the normal (default) firewall setup.
Fix: Hardware Options: The Unicable dialog did not display the Unicable 2 slot number range correctly. After being reopened it showed a wrong Unicable 2 slot number (see here). Internally the values were stored correctly.
Added: Hardware: Handling of TBS 5520 SE / TBS 5580 / 5590 USB boxes as DVB-S2/T2/C hybrid tuners. Switching between the tuner types, which previously had to be performed with a TBS tool, is now done inside DVBViewer according to the type of the selected channel. In case of an already existing DVBViewer installation Options → Hardware → Scan Devices is required to let the additional tuner entries appear.
Fix: Hardware: Wrong detection of some Hauppauge devices as hybrid tuners, though they were dual tuners (see here).
- Release Date: Sep 21, 2018
- I published a new demo build on the server. With this version you can now see on the DVBViewer Filter - Property Page if there a problems in the reception
- Release Date: Aug 20, 2018
- Removed: Recording: Writing the EPG data of recordings as NTFS file properties has been dropped. However, reading file properties on recording data base updates (if there is no EPG information file) is still supported.
- Fix: Timer Recordings Window: Timers could not be edited if the channel was excluded by the filter options of the channel list on the left.
- Fix: Timer Recordings Window: The timer end time was not displayed if the additional follow-up time exceeded midnight (e.g. 23:55 + 10 minutes).
- Fix: Timer Recordings- and EPG-Window: Up/Down buttons in time input fields were displayed too wide if Windows was configured for a large text size (see here).
- Fix: EPG Window: The “EPG at...” tab did not respond to time selection (e.g. the Now button) if it displayed search results.
- Added: EPG Window: A pipe character '|' between search items is interpreted as a logical OR, which means, a search for Tom|Jim|Joe will yield search results that contain the name Tom, Jim or Joe. As before blanks between search items are interpreted as logical AND. Thus a search for Tom Jim Joe yields results that contain all three names. AND and OR can be combined: Tom Jim|Joe yields results that contain Tom and Jim or Joe.
- Change/Fix: EPG: New strategy for handling arriving EPG data in relation to already present data that enhances the EPG update behavior. Additionally potential access violations after EPG data deletion were fixed.
- Fix/Change: TV/Radio Options: Channel switching with the mouse wheel (see Options → Input → Mouse) only caused MiniEPG changes if “Browse in MiniEPG” was enabled. The “Browse in MiniPG” and “Channel plus/minus switching delay” settings are not mutual exclusive anymore, so the latter can be enabled for channel switching with the mouse even if “Browse in MiniEPG” is enabled for channel switching via keyboard.
- Change: Wake on LAN: DVBViewer now sends the WOL magic packet via all available network cards (previously the choice was up to Windows), in order to avoid problems with multihomed PCs.
- Fix: Scanner: Several channels on Astra 28.2° E, 12207 V were erroneously flagged as data channels due to “hide channel duplicates without Freesat EPG” measures.
- Added: Hardware: Basic support for Unicable 2 (JESS). Options → Hardware → Unicable allows to configure a device for the conventional (EN 50494) or the advanced (EN 50607) Unicable system, that supports up to 32 user bands (slots) and more than 2 satellite positions.
- Added: Hardware: Support for DigiBest ISDB-T devices (unencrypted channels only, see here).
- Fix: Hardware: Tuning ATSC frequencies with Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 950Q﻿ did not work (see here).
- Added: Hardware: Support for Freenet (SMiT USB Dongle) DVB-T2 Sticks
- Change/Fix: Downloader: Several enhancements and fixes particularly concerning the handling of errors, HTTPS and user name/password.
- Release Date: May 15, 2018
- Fix: EPG Window: The Timeline tab was not updated to “now” when opening the EPG Window. On EPG updates the Timeline view did not keep its vertical scroll state, but jumped to a position where the last selected channel was visible. Additionally the timeline view did not immediately respond to changes in the timer list by displaying scheduled items in red. In certain cases the date displayed at the top did not match the content of the TV Guide tab.
- Fix: Channel Editor: The Direct Address button for retrieving the direct URL of a stream without redirections remained hidden in case of HTTPS URLs.
- Added: Recorder: SDT data in recordings in addition to EPG data (if configured) enabling VLC to read the EPG (see here).
- Fix: Media Server Client: If the configured Media Server address was a name instead of an IP address (except “localhost”), DVBViewer did not resolve it before comparing it with the sender IP address of received Media Server broadcasts/multicasts, thus erroneously discarding prompts for updating the timer and recording list (see here).
- Added: Hardware: Support for Elgato Netstream 4C devices.
- Release Date: May 1, 2018
Added: Recorder Options: Separate radio recording format setting. The default is pure MP2 / MP3 / AAC / AC3 audio without TS containers depending on the broadcasted format. The previous general recording format setting now only applies to TV recording and has been renamed accordingly.
Removed: Recorder Options: “Adjusted PAT/PMT” checkbox. It is still available as tweak (launch Tweaker.exe for changing it) and switched on by default. It makes sure that the table of contents in TS files specifies the recorded, not the broadcasted elements (like audio tracks, teletext, subtitles), in order to avoid issues with other players than DVBViewer.
Added: Timer Recordings: The lead and follow-up time can now be specified / edited individually per timer in the Timer Recordings Window and the corresponding OSD dialog (default skin only). Transferring these values to / receiving them from the DVBViewer Media Server is now fully supported.
Change: Timer Recordings: The description and channel IDare now stored as Unicode in the file timers.xml . Please note: This may cause compatibility issues (garbled non-ASCII characters) when reverting to a version before 188.8.131.52.
Fix: Recorder: Filename schemes containing backslashes could result in file paths with double backslashes and cause follow-up issues.
Fix/Change: Recorder: Better error handling in case of a Service ID in the channel list data that does not match the Service ID in the received data (which previously disabled “all audio tracks” recording).
Change/Fix: Recording Database: On database recreation / refresh reading the EPG Info files (.txt) now precedes reading the NTFS file properties of recordings (previously the other way round). This and other measures avoid messed up duration values that were not stored and processed correctly in the past.
Change: EPG Window: Parts have been restructured and unified/simplified. The search bar and the button for showing/hiding it are now placed at the bottom. The time bar has been removed. The contained elements (date & time input, Now Button) are now permanently visible at the top. There is one uniform context menu for all tabs (previously three different menus). Time related menu items like “Time +/-” or “Evening” now apply to all tabs (previously only to “EPG at...” and “Timeline”). The additional navigation bar at the top of the TV Guide tab has been removed. The functionality is covered by the permanently visible time navigation and the context menu.
Fix: EPG Window: After sorting the content of the “EPG at...” tab by clicking a column title the Details panel showed the wrong EPG item (not the selected one, see here). Additionally numerous functional bugs and inconsistencies have been fixed.
Added: UPnP Window: Buttons for copying the URL of UPnP items to the clipboard, playing an item and transferring the displayed items to the DVBViewer playlist, so they can be played successively without having to start the playback of each item individually.
Fix: UPnP Window: The window was not able to display Unicode characters, that are not contained in the local character set.
Fix: UPnP / OSD: Some flaws on OSD Menu → htpcHome → UPnP, particularly the missing help via OSD Blue (F8) and the non-working automatic display of discovered UPnP servers. The page remained empty unless the user pressed OSD Yellow (F7).
Added: Subtitles: Ability to obtain SRT subtitle files associated with video files from the DVBViewer Media Server (requires DMS version 2.1 or later). This also applies to Playback → UPnP Server. They appear in the Settings → Subtitles menu.
Added: Subtitles: Ability to recognize multiple SRT files for different languages that are associated with a video file, provided the SRT filenames follow the usual naming convention. If the video filename is movie.mkv, recognized SRT subtitle file names are movie.srt, movie.eng.srt, movie.ger.srt etc. They all appear in the Settings → Subtitles menu.
Fix: Subtitles: Several issues concerning SRT subtitles. SRT files with UTF-8 BOM bytes couldn't be read. The subtitle update frequency was too low (once per second) causing bad sync with video and omitted subtitles on fast changes.
Fix: Subtitles: DVBViewer did not handle video files with both internal (embedded) and external SRT subtitles correctly (see here).
Fix: Subtitle Options: The slider for adjusting the background transparency of SRT subtitles didn't take effect.
Added: Teletext Options: Sliders for adjusting the background transparency and outline thickness of teletext subtitles.
Added: Hardware Options: The complete device name is displayed as hint on mouse over if it exceeds the list box width.
Fix: Hardware: The connection timeout configured for virtual TS Stream devices was ignored internally.
Change: Hardware: “No hardware available” error message replaced in the English language file by the more meaningful “"There is no matching DVB device available for this channel!" (see here).
Fix: HbbTV/MHEG5: Measure to enable the coexistence of HbbTV and MHEG services for the same channel. OSD Red (F5) preferably activates HbbTV, if available and enabled. The OSD main menu allows to select HbbTV or MHEG5 (by Christian).
Fix: Channel List Views: If the grouping was set to Root + Frequency empty category names were displayed for TS Stream channels (because they have no frequency).
Fix: Main Window: Enabling/Disabling the Playback → Playback Rate menu item in the main window did not work as intended. It is supposed to be enabled on DVD playback (except for DVD menus) and for file playback without the DVBViewer Filter.
Change/Fix: Media Server Options: The method for sending Wake On LAN to the server PC now conforms more to the standard expected by network devices.
Fix: General: The “User Data Error” message box appeared without text. After clicking OK DVBViewer was not terminated properly, but was still running invisibly and had to be terminated with the task manager (see here).
Updated: DVBViewer Filter to version 3.9.6 (H.264 format detection enhancements particularly for handling problems with H.264 baseline profile and the LAV Video Decoder in DXVA2 Native mode).
Updated: Default satellite transponder lists, default satellite and internet channel lists.
- Release Date: Nov 2, 2017
Added: Teletext Window: Navigation tree view showing the available pages and sub-pages. A “+” icon indicates a page with sub-pages, an “S” icon a subtitle page and an “N” icon a news flash page. Please note: The tree view changes the navigation with the arrow keys, page up/down etc. according to the tree view standard behavior. Additionally holding down the Ctrl key lets the Teletext Window respond as before.
Change/Added: Teletext Window: The (non-graphical) teletext representation for the visual impaired that appears after activating Options ? Extended ? Support for visual impaired users is now adjusted to the current window size (thus being more readable for non-impaired users) and provides additional keyboard functions:
Placing the text cursor on a page number and pressing Return switches over to this page. Placing the text cursor on an internet address and pressing Return opens a browser window with the corresponding page (does not work if the address contains a line break). Ctrl + C copies the selected text to the clipboard, Ctrl + A selects the whole teletext page. Ctrl + arrow keys are for teletext navigation (up: previous (sub-)page, down: next (sub-)page, left: back to the last visited page, right: forward).
Change: Teletext Subtitles: They are now synchronized with video according to the broadcasted presentation time stamps (PTS) and displayed at the position and with the color intended by the broadcaster.
Added: Subtitles: DVB and teletext subtitles are labeled as “for the hearing impaired” in menus if they are flagged by the broadcaster accordingly.
Fix: Subtitles: DVBViewer only remembered the last selected teletext subtitles for a channel. Other subtitle types were excluded.
Fix/Change: Subtitle Options: The font size grew after each change on this page and OK/Apply in case of a Windows/Resizer text size greater than 100%, particularly affecting teletext subtitles. Additionally the Subtitle Options have been generally reworked. They don't apply to teletext subtitles anymore (the corresponding settings are now completely covered by the Teletext Options).The misleading Delay setting, that only takes effect under exceptional/error conditions has been moved to Tweaker.exe.
Added: Main Window: Toolbar Editor for rearranging and extending the toolbar. It can be opened by right-clicking the toolbar. The icon set selection in the upper part was located on Options ? General in previous versions. On the left side it shows the icons (sorted in categories) that are available in the currently selected icon set. The right side shows the icons that are currently assigned to the toolbar including dividers. You may use the buttons or drag & drop to add, delete and rearrange icons.
Added: Main Window: VisionX icon set that covers almost all commands that are available in the DVBViewer main window and allows to add them to the toolbar, if VisionX is selected in the Toolbar Editor. Please note that VisionX is a modifiable external icon set on disk (see below).
Added: Main Window: Possibility to add external icon sets for the toolbar (also self-made sets). They must comply with the following rules:
The icons must be *.png files carrying the internal name of the corresponding DVBViewer action object, e.g. actRecord.png (see the fairly complete VisionX set as example – in case of doubt ask in the DVBViewer forum).
The icons must be located in the installation directory (containing DVBViewer.exe) in sub-directories of \Images\Icons\ . The sub-directory names (e.g. \Images\Icons\MyIcons\) appear in the Icon Set drop down list of the Toolbar Editor.
If the sub-directory name equals the name of an internal standard set (like “XPedition” or “Vision”) DVBViewer uses the external icons in addition to the internal icons of this set. In this case the external icons must have a size of 16x16. Such extension sets don't need to provide icons for actions that are already covered by the standard set.
If the sub-directory name does not match an internal standard set name DVBViewer regards its content as additional independent icon set. It should at least provide icons for the actions covered by the standard sets.
Independent Icon sets that contain actRecord.png (for recording the currently played channel) must also contain actRecordStop.png that is shown while the currently played channel is recorded.
Icons of independent sets may have any (uniform) square size (e.g. 24x24). If the size is not 16x16 it must be specified in a Settings.ini file contained in the icon set subdirectory. It may also specify the width of separators and a default toolbar assignment that is used when the user clicks the Default Button in the Toolbar Editor. If no Settings.ini is present DVBViewer assumes the following content:
Added: Main Window: Help menu item “Order/Unlock Add-Ons...” that launches KeyTool.exe.
Change: Main Window: The signal strength field of the status bar (with four display modes switchable by mouse clicks) has been reworked. The former “None” display mode that showed an empty field has been replaced by a time of day display. Hints have been added for each display mode (elapsed time / remaining time / signal / time of day) indicating its meaning. The elapsed/remaining time modes consider timeshift playback by calculating “now” accordingly. On HLS Internet TV playback they are used for displaying the position in the timeshift buffer provided by the broadcaster. On file playback the signal display mode that formerly only showed 0% now displays the elapsed time as percent value.
Added: Recorder/Timeshift: “Remove video filler data” now also applies to HEVC video (previously only to H.264 and MPEG2). Thanks to Martin K for coding!
Fix: Timer Recordings: Changing the start time of a Media Server timer in DVBViewer also changed its end time.
Change: Timer Recordings: The lead and follow-up time of recordings are now stored internally as separate data fields (previously they had to be reconstructed from the difference of the EPG and timer start and end times). Additionally they are stored in the file timers.xml and are sent to / received from the Media Server.
Fix: Timer Recording Window: Several minor issues concerning language files, the selection of control elements with accelerator keys, the activation of buttons, tuner type icons etc.
Fix: Recording Statistics Window: The Recordings list wasn't updated on some occasions when it was visible. Recording Status ? Context Menu ? Delete Recording also deleted a corresponding auto-repeat timer. General cleanup and adjustments, particularly concerning language file entries.
Removed: Recorder Options: “MPG with DVD packet size” checkbox that enabled enhanced MPG file recording compatibility with (old) DVD players. The setting is still available as tweak (see Tweaker.exe).
Fix: Recorder: A wrong (non-existing) Service ID in the channel data prevented recordings from starting. Please note: Without a correct Service ID the recorder output is restricted in any case. Decryption is not possible, DVB subtitles and additional audio tracks are not available and the Adjust PAT/PMT option does not take effect. Clients / Players may be unable to play the result. New debug and recording log entries inform about the issue (“Service ID not found in PAT”).
Added: UPnP Window (Playback ? UPnP Server): Optional thumbnail display that can be switched on and off in the context menu of the media list.
Fix: UPnP Window: Some minor fixes and adjustments (the window couldn't be closed with Esc, no minimum window size, child nodes were indicated in the left tree for nodes that had no children, language file corrections etc.)
Added: TS Stream: Tweak “Automatically create TS Stream devices on demand” (see Tweaker.exe, default “on”). It allows to disable the automatic internal creation of Virtual TS Stream devices in order to limit the streams to the number of manually added TS Stream devices on Options ? Hardware.
Fix: TS Stream: A HTTP host header field as part of an addhdr URL parameter did not replace the host header field created by the Media Server, but was attached as an additional header field. Requesting an AES key for encrypted HLS from the server didn't use the intended user agent string in the HTTP header and ignored an addhdr URL parameter. In order to fix problems with Deluxe Music TV the number of buffered segments (with an intended overall duration/timeshift of 30 seconds) is now based on the actual duration of segments, not on the announced target duration value anymore.
Fix: Movie Options: The Clean Up Database button performed a cleanup of the recording database (TVDatabase.db3), not the indicated cleanup of the movie database (MediaDatabase.db3). The main purpose of the movie database is storing the last playback position. Now the clean up works in the following way: Entries referencing a file on the local PC are deleted if the file does not exist anymore. Entries referencing a remote file (by URL, UNC path, network drive) or a removable medium (DVD) are deleted if the object hasn't been played in the past 12 months.
Change: General Options: The menu style selection has been removed. All installations are changed to the DVBViewer menu style that supports a user defined font and font size (by means of Resizer.exe). The standard Windows menu style can still be activated by switching the new tweak “Use DVBViewer menu stile” off (see Tweaker.exe).
Fix: Input Options: The action Open File=94 (see actions.ini) did not work. Access violations under certain conditions could cause various malfunctions. The command list was not re-translated after a language change.
Change: Input Options: The action names in the file action.ini, the default command list and the English language file have been reworked in order to make them more comprehensible. The actions Window Size 40%=2018, Open URL=141 and UPnP Server=142 have been added to the file actions.ini so that keys can be assigned to them. Invalid entries have been removed.
Added: Hardware Options: The connection timeout (= maximum waiting time until the server responds) for RTSP Network Devices is now configurable in the settings dialog.
Fix: HbbTV: Issues if a HbbTV application was terminated and another one was started because the OSD was closed in between and other problems caused by certain broadcaster habits.
Change: Channel Handling: When the channel list is loaded DVBViewer now unifies root and category names with different upper/lowercase in order to avoid inconsistent display at different UI locations, particularly that such categories are merged in the Channel List/ Channel Editor Window, but are displayed separately in the OSD.
Added: Actions: New action “FavEdit=10” (see actions.ini). It replaces the former useless “ChanSave=10” that was a duplicate of “ChannelEdit=117”. The new action opens the Channel Editor with active Favorites page.
Fix/Change: Channel Logo Options: The “Select Logo” function in the context menu could not assign logos that were located in sub-directories of \Images\Logos\. The navigation bar in the file dialog has been removed because assigning images from other directories is not possible.
Change: Media Server Recordings Playback: The Tweak “Method for playing remote recordings” has been redesigned and renamed to “Access mode for remote recordings”. It introduces a new “automatic” mode, to which all DVBViewer installations are changed. In this mode DVBViewer automatically uses streaming for playback if accessing the recording directly (on hard disk or via network shares/drive) fails. The other fixed modes (1=network shares/UNC path, 2=media server streaming, 3=web server streaming) may let playback start faster. For testing purpose mode 2 and 3 can also be used with a local Media Server on the same PC.
Change: Media Server Handling: If DVBViewer is associated with a Media Server on the same PC, it checks if the Media Server is running before trying to connect to it and waiting for a response, thus accelerating the DVBViewer start considerably if the Media Server is offline. Same applies to RTSP Network Devices associated with the local Media Server. Initialization fails immediately if the Server is not running.
Added: Media Server Options: Checkbox “Download channel logos from the server”. It enables DVBViewer to request channel logos from an associated Media Server, so they don't have to be installed on the client PC. They are downloaded on demand. Requires the DVBViewer Media Server 3.0.4 or later! Please note that in this case logo assignments cannot be changed on Options ? Channel Logos. It has to be done in the Media Server options.
Fix: Media Server Options: Possible crash caused by the server detection when leaving the Options ? DVBViewer Media Server Page, particularly if it was entered a very short time before.
Updated: DVBViewer Filter to version 3.9.5. The default buffer size has been doubled generally for fixing HEVC / UHD playback issues. If still required the buffer size for HEVC playback can be set independently from the host application by tweaking the file DVBSource.ini (see configuration folder) and adding a line HEVCBufferSize=xxx in the [Params] section, where xxx is the buffer size in KB. In extreme cases a size greater than the default size may be required for 4k HEVC playbackr, e.g. 1024 = 1 MB (see here).
Updated: Default Channel and Transponder Lists.
- Release Date: Jul 19, 2017
- Change: General: Default configuration files including the transponder lists shipped with DVBViewer are not stored in the installation folder anymore, but in the Default sub-directory.
- Change: Main Window: When the DVBViewer main window is restored from the minimized state all other minimized DVBViewer windows are also restored. Previously each window had to be restored separately.
- Added: File Playback: Jumping to the previous/next chapter, if a MKV file contains chapter markers.
- Added: File Playback: Tweak “Use chapters for Previous/Next actions” (see Tweaker.exe). Applies to DVD and MKV playback, provided chapter markers are present. Enables jumping to chapters instead of 1 minute back/forward. The default is “on”.
- Change: File Playback: The default playback method for DVBViewer Media Server recordings from another PC is now “Media Server Streaming” except for recordings with UNC path (also see “Method for playing remote recordings” setting in Tweaker.exe). Streaming allows DVBViewer to access the recordings without network shares.
- Fix: Teletext Window: Teletext pages saved as .bmp or .png were rendered with too large characters overlapping each other if the Windows text size was greater than 100% (see here).
- Added: Teletext Window: Tweak “Width of saved teletext images” (see Tweaker.exe) for specifying the width of teletext images saved as .png or .bmp in pixels. The height is scaled accordingly.
- Change: Channel Logos: Enhanced handling that uses less memory. Please note: On next channel logo access the file ChannelLogos.ini (containing logo → channel assignments) is converted to a more efficient format and stored as ChannelLogos2.ini.
- Added: Channel Logo Options: New “Default Logo” context menu item that resets the selected logo → channel assignment to its default. It does the same as the Reset button, but for a single entry.
- Fix: Channel Logo Options: Cancel did not undo changed logo → channel assignments.
- Fix: Timer Recording Window: After opening the Window the currently played channel was assigned to the channel field in the input area, not the channel of the selected timer recording (see here).
- Fix: EPG Window: The timeline view was restricted to displaying the EPG only one week ahead (see here). The keyboard shortcut for opening the Timer Recording Window did not work correctly. It is now Ctrl+M.
- Fix: OSD: The OSD menu timeout set on Options → OSD General did not work anymore (since 6.0.2, see here).
- Fix: Actions: Missing entries in the file actions.ini (see installation directory), particularly “Video Window 1” and “Radio Window”. The former “Hide All” entry has been renamed to “Video Window 2” (see here).
- Fix: Hardware: DVB Tuner allocation did not work correctly in case of competing access to hybrid tuners and tuners that were configured for “Shared LNB”. They were used simultaneously though they shouldn't. (since 6.0.2).
- Fix: COM Interface: Deleting favorites with the RemoveFavorite function did not work correctly (see here).
- Change: TS Stream: Enhanced Handling of relative paths in URLs. Required for playing certain HLS streams.
- Updated: Default channel lists for internet TV / Radio in \Default\Channels\.directory.
- Release Date: Apr 20, 2017
- Fix: Main Window: Under Windows 8 and 10 the control bar disappeared completely or turned into a small button when it was visible while the main window was minimized and restored (particularly in DVBViewer 6.0.0 radio window mode).
- Change: Main Window: Restoring the minimized main window under Windows 8 and 10 now also restores all other open DVBViewer windows (like under Windows 7). Previously each window had to be restored separately.
- Fix: Main Window: On DVBViewer start the main window always appeared on the primary monitor, not where it was previously closed, when Options → General → Start in full screen mode was switched on.
- Fix: OSD: Creating thumbnails for movie folders (in htpcHome → Movies) did not work correctly. Possibly the content of Images ThumbsVideosTitle in the Configuration Folder must be deleted to force image recreation.
- Fix: COM Interface: EPG-related bugs affecting add-ons, particularly EPGPlus and Zappi.
- Fix: Subtitle Options: “Enable if available” (supposed to let DVBViewer automatically display subtitles if available for the selected languages) did not work anymore.
- Fix: Channel Editor: The import open dialog did not offer M3U as file type.
- Fix: RTSP Device: DVBViewer did not respond correctly to forced channel switching signaled by the DVBViewer Media Server, e.g. when a timer recording starts in the Media Server requiring a device that currently is used for playback in a DVBViewer client).
- Release Date: Apr 13, 2017
Change Log DVBViewer Pro 6.0.0
Please take note of the following important changes before installing DVBViewer Pro 6.0:
Removed: Unicast Network Device: This out-dated way of connecting to the Recording Service is not available anymore. Its functionality is now fully covered by RTSP (Sat>IP) Network Devices that can be used as replacement. If Unicast Network Devices are essential for some reason please stay with Recording Service 1.33.2 beta and DVBViewer Pro 5.6.4.
Updated: Key Tool (KeyTool.exe) to version 1.1. It allows to order a Media Server license (more about it here) and to enter the password that you will receive after having purchased it.
Added: Channel List: DVBViewer Pro 6.0 provides an easy way to try the new streaming capabilities that allow to store Internet TV/Radio channels in the channel list.
Click TV/Radio → Reception Settings in the main menu.
Select “TS Stream” in the list of available reception types.
Click the Load Channel List button and select one of the sample lists from the drop-down menu.
Please note that the channels contained in German (ger) channel lists may not be receivable outside of Germany due to geo-blocking. In other countries you may rather want to try the international (int) lists. Please also note that URLs of channels belonging to the new TS Stream (Live Stream) tuner type are stored in an additional file ChannelsURL.ini that is located in the configuration folder. A backup or copy of a channel list containing TS Stream entries requires saving the files channels.dat and ChannelsURL.ini together. Without the additional file or after loading/saving the file channels.dat with previous DVBViewer Pro / Recording Service versions all TS Stream channel list entries are lost!
The new feature is only usable with DVBViewer Pro 6.0 (stand alone) or in combination with the DVBViewer Media Server 2.0 and later. Please take care that a channel list containing TS Stream entries is not accessed by older DVBViewer Pro / Recording Service versions.
If you are using Xepg for importing EPG data, please update to Xepg 0.7.0.0 that complies with the changed EPG handling in DVBViewer Pro 6.0 / DVBViewer Media Server 2.0 and supports assigning EPG data to internet channels belonging to the new TS Stream tuner type. Please note that Xepg 0.7.0.0 must not be used with older Recording Service / DVBViewer versions (and older Xepg versions not with DVBViewer Pro 6.0 / Media Server 2.0).
Since it is not possible to describe all aspects of the new TS Stream tuner type in the following log, a series of articles dealing with the details will soon be published in the forum.
Added: Streaming: Handling of URL based entries in the channel list, provided the source delivers a transport stream (TS) or something that DVBViewer can convert to a transport stream (“TS Stream” tuner type). The “Channel List” section (see below) describes how such channels can be added to the channel list. The following stream / URL types are supported:
HTTP carrying a transport stream, as for example used by broadcasters providing TV streams via HbbTV.
HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) based on M3U8 playlists and transport stream segments. This format has been introduced by Apple and is frequently used for Internet TV. AES 128 encrypted streams are supported if the provider allows to access the key.
UDP/RTP multicast and unicast carrying a transport stream, similar to DVB IPTV as already supported by previous DVBViewer versions. Multicast URLs may specify a source IP and the IP of the local network adapter (NIC) in the following way: rtp://[Source-IP@]Multicast-IP:Port[/Adapter-IP]. The parts in square brackets are optional.
RTSP carrying a Sat>IP compliant transport stream letting DVBViewer work as a Sat>IP thin client that uses static RTSP URLs as provided by a some Sat>IP servers as M3U playlist (e.g. by the DVBViewer Media Server as RTSP channel list). However, Sat>IP with a virtual RTSP Network Device should be preferred, if possible, since it is more effective.
HTTP containing AAC or MP3 audio (internet radio). Internally the streams are converted to transport streams. Metadata like artist and title appears as EPG data, if available.
Paths of local TS, MP2, MP3 and AAC files which are handled “as if broadcasted live”.
Change: Stream/URL Playback: The handling/playback of URLs originating from Playback → Open URL, Playback → Open UPnP, from the playlist and other sources has been reworked and enhanced in the following way:
Everything that is detected as live stream containing a transport stream or MP3/AAC audio (like HLS and internet radio) is played as channel, including the possibility to use recording, timeshift and PiP. However, there are drawbacks resulting from such streams not being contained in the channel list. So the URLs should rather be added as TS Stream tuner type entries to the channel list.
All URLs referencing a remote file with a media format that the DVBViewer Filter can cope with are played by using it. This includes the capability to handle growing files correctly (particularly ongoing recordings).
All URLs referencing a remote file originating from HbbTV (mostly MP4) are handled by the VOD Source Filter. It has been reworked for this purpose and preferably cooperates with the LAV Splitter for playback. Please make sure that the LAV Filters are installed.
All URLs not covered by the points above are handled by the LAV Source Filter, if available (recommended), otherwise by standard Windows DirectShow mechanisms.
Added: Stream/URL Playback: Support for HTTPS live streams (see first point above). For this purpose the OpenSSL files libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll are installed.
Added: Stream/URL Playback: URLs can now be passed as command line parameters to DVBViewer (in the same way as file paths).
Added: Hardware Options: Possibility to add virtual TS Stream Devices to the device list in order to change the default settings. By default TS stream devices are created dynamically on demand without showing up in the device list. Furthermore, in order to save network bandwidth, DVBViewer only creates new TS Stream devices dynamically if there is no alternative like taking the device away from a lower priority task for a high priority task. So if you don't want a TS Stream timer recording to stop playback of a different TS Stream, just add enough TS Stream devices to the device list. DVBViewer regards them as “available in any case”.
Added: Hardware Options: Settings dialog for virtual TS Stream Devices. It allows to specify the connection timeout and receive buffer size, the amount of pre-read data (before playback starts), a “per device” HLS data rate limitation and the network interface card / adapter over which UDP / RTP streams shall be received.
Added: Channel Editor: Import (also by drag & drop) and export of M3U playlists containing TS Stream URLs. DVBViewer supports reading / storing the category of the channels in a format used by the Kodi IPTV Simple Client add-on. Please note that in case of M3U imports DVBViewer does not know the type of the contained streams, particularly whether they are video or audio streams. You may preselect whether they are imported as video or audio by selecting a video or audio node (or one of their sub-nodes) before importing the file. Wrongly assigned channels are automatically moved to the matching category when they are played for the first time.
Added: Channel Editor: Export of DVB IPTV channels as M3U channel list, so they can be re-imported as TS Stream channels for conversion (see above). The new TS Stream tuner type integrates DVB IPTV (which was already supported by previous DVBViewer versions) and provides a more convenient handling.
Added: Channel Editor: Means for manually adding / editing TS Stream channel list entries (including their URLs): For new TS Stream entries click New → TS Stream on the Channel Data page. Enter the address and the channel name and click Add. All other data is detected automatically when the channel is played for the first time.
Added: Channel Editor: Special streaming settings and functions on the Channel Data page if a TS Stream entry is selected:
Channel Name button: Only applies to internet radio. Automatically detects the channel name belonging to a given address and copies it to the name input field if the channel provides Shoutcast metadata.
Direct Address button: Applies to internet radio and simple HTTP streams containing a transport stream. Detects the direct stream address without redirections or playlist references and copies it to the address input field. The direct stream address speeds up channel switching.
Remove clock reference / Ignore PTS discontinuities checkboxes: Applies to HLS and simple HTTP streams containing a transport stream. May help to fix issues caused by wrong time stamps in the stream.
Time Offset input field: Applies to HLS. Some channels allow to “timeshift” streams to the past. The Time Offset input field enables creating channel list entries like “ZDF 30 minutes ago”. Please note that in case of HLS playback the main window control bar shows the current position in / the total duration of the timeshift buffer provided by the HLS server. However, if DVBViewer timeshift is active the control bar shows the values resulting from the DVBViewer timeshift buffer.
Max. Rate input field: Applies to HLS. Some channels allow to select streams with different data rates affecting the video resolution and quality. The Max. Rate input fields enables to limit the data rate. It lets DVBViewer select a stream with a data rate below the specified value, if possible. The default is 0 (= unlimited, highest possible quality). Please note that the hardware options → TS Stream Device settings provide a “per device” HLS data rate limitation that is superseded by the per channel setting if not zero.
Added: Channel Search: Possibility to perform a TS Stream channel search based on M3U lists that are handled as transponder lists if they are stored in the Transponders sub-directory of the configuration folder. In contrast to direct M3U import (see above) scanning only adds working entries to the channel list, saves the auto-detection of channel data on first tuning and assigns the channels to the correct video/audio category.
Fix: Channel Search: The channel search did not detect DVB-T2 and sub-streams (MPLP) correctly with DVB-T devices that support auto-detection (e.g. Digital Devices, DVBSky).
Added: Channel Search: Transliteration of channel and provider names with Cyrillic and Greek letters to Latin if the local character set does not contain such letters (since the channel list does not use Unicode yet, see here).
Change: Channel Search: Duplicate BBC channels appearing on Astra 28° East without assigned Freesat EPG and MHEG5 are dropped automatically.
Added: Channel Editor: The per-category settings (if a category is selected) can now be applied to a multi-selection of categories. The same applies to the “Set Channel Group” sub-menu in the context menu of the tree view.
Changed: Channel Editor: The “New DVB-S” button on the Reception Settings page has been replaced by a permanent generic DVB-S entry in the list of the available reception types (provided a DVB-S device is present). It can be used to define a new DVB-S reception type for another satellite position.
Added; Channel Editor: “Load Channel List” button on the Reception Settings page. It allows to select and load one of the DVBViewer default channel lists if available for the selected reception type (Astra 19/23/28° East and Hotbird 13° East for DVB-S, additionally Internet TV/Radio for the TS Stream reception type). Please note: DiSEqC should be set up correctly if necessary before loading a satellite channel list because it is adjusted to the DiSEqC settings.
Change/Added: Channel List Window: The former buttons have been replaced by a tool bar providing the following functions: “Channel Editor”, “Last Channel”, “Add to Favourites”, “Only Favourites on/off”, “Only TV on/off”, “Only Radio on/off”, thus making the main filter functions more accessible. The change also applies to the popup channel list in the main window and the channel lists embedded in the EPG- and the Timer Recordings window.
Added: Media Server Options: “Download Channels Now” button for getting the channel list from a remote DVBViewer Media Server (including channels.dat, ChannelsURL.ini and DiSEqC.xml). It can be undone with the Reload function in the Channel editor.
Main Window & OSD
Change/Added: Main Window: The handling of the Main Window views (“Hide All”, Full Screen”...) has been completely reorganized and enhanced in several respects. Each active view can be configured independently from the others with the options in the lower menu part (if available for the view) and the window position and size. Clicking the currently active view lets DVBViewer return to the previous view.
Change: Main Window: The “View → Hide All” menu item has been renamed to “Video Window 2”. By default it looks like the former “Hide All” view (without title-, menu-, tool- and status bar), but can be configured independently from the normal view, which means, it can be equipped with the mentioned bars.
Added: Main Window: “View → Video Window 1” menu item. It switches over to the “normal” view that by default contains a title-, menu-, tool- and status bar. However, this view can also be configured in different ways.
Added: Main Window: “View → Radio Window”. Enables to manually switch over to the radio view that hides the video area (even if TV or a video is played). Previously is was only available via “Options → TV/Radio → Hide video display area on audio only playback” letting DVBViewer switch to it automatically. Additionally the Radio Window now permanently displays the Main Window Control Bar for navigation.
Added: Main Window: “View → Show Frame” menu item that hides / shows the frame of Video Window 1/2. Please note that even in “frame off” mode some Windows versions still shows a (thinner) frame if the title bar is visible. Since Windows does not allow to resize a Window in “frame off” mode, DVBViewer automatically switches the frame on while the mouse cursor is close to the window border.
Added: OSD: The (internet) radio text OSD (see Options → TV/Radio → Show radio text) can now occupy up to three lines, so that long text is not cut off anymore. If no radio text is available it displays the EPG title of the current program or at least the channel name. In case of internet radio the Radio Text OSD shows metadata like artist and title. Internally the metadata is converted to EPG data and can also be viewed in the EPG window.
Fix: File Playback: Unicode subtitles from SRT files were not displayed correctly.
Change: MHEG5/HbbTV: The main window control bar is now usable while MHEG or HbbTV is active, thus enabling to jump / seek with the mouse in HbbTV videos.
Change/Fix: HbbTV: Measures for speeding up navigation in HbbTV pages, various fixes and enhancements.
Fix: Movie Thumbnails: The function for generating video thumbnails was not able to create thumbnails from some important video formats and tended to crash if it was canceled. The resulting thumbnail files could not be processed in the OSD. Please note: It is recommendable to delete all old files in the Configuration FolderImagesThumbsVideosTitle sub-directory.
Change: Movie Thumbnails Creation / Mosaic Preview: A considerable speed-up of both functions due to optimization. The maximum video thumbnail width/height has been increased from 128 to 256 pixels.
Removed: Movie Options: “Movie Thumbs” page including the faulty generation of movie thumbnails for selected directories. The thumbnails are now created automatically on demand if the corresponding option is switched on (see below).
Added: Movie Options: The “Movies” page now contains a “Create Thumbnails” checkbox that switches the automatic on-demand creation of video thumbnails on/off. The default is “off”. Additionally a “From Position” input field allows to specify from which file position (in seconds from the beginning) the thumbnail shall be taken. Please note: Thumbnail creation now requires the LAV Filters to be installed!
Change: Channel Editor/EPG: Previously the EPG settings in the channel editor specified which EPG types (DVB/MHW/External) are accepted and stored for a channel. Now all arriving EPG data is stored and the settings decide which EPG type is displayed for a channel, allowing to switch between them. Data from different sources for the same channel can coexist in the EPG data base without being mixed up or overwritten. If more than one EPG type is allowed and available for a channel, DVBViewer prefers external (imported) EPG data over MediaHighway data over DVB data.
Removed/Change: EPG Options: The three checkboxes “Receive standard / MediaHighway / Freesat EPG data” have been removed. EPG reception is now always enabled, particularly Freesat EPG reception if the orbital position of satellite channels is 28.2° East (previously switched off by default). Additionally the “MHW/Freesat” page (allowing to enter frequencies on which MediaHighway and high speed Freesat EPG is broadcasted) has been merged with the main EPG page.
Change/Fix: EPG Handling: General restructuring of EPG related code, including support for the import of external EPG data from Xepg for TS Stream channels. Some problems and inconsistencies have been fixed.
Fix: EPG Window: Parts of the EPG timeline were not scaled according to the Windows text size. On program controlled tab changes (not directly triggered by the user) the content of the filter drop-down list was not adjusted to the active tab.
Fix: EPG Import: The EPG import from the Recording Service after waking up from sleep mode / hibernate tended to fail due to network adapters not being ready at this early stage. It is now performed after a delay of 30 seconds (see here). Additionally the import is now performed in the background in order to prevent the UI from freezing for several seconds due to waiting if the server is unreachable.
Added: RTSP Device: CAM menu display for virtual RTSP devices. Requires DVBViewer Media Server 2.0 or later. For accessing TV/Radio → CAM Menu “Has CI module” must be checked for the RTSP device (see Options → Hardware), playback using this device must be active in the main window and a DVB device with CI/CAM must be associated with it on the server side.
Added: RTSP Device: Tweak for letting the RTSP Device send a complete DVB-T parameter set to a Sat>IP server including some fake values, in order to formally comply with the specifications. (see here, (2)). The tweak can be added to RTSP Network Device sections in the file hardware.xml:
Fix: CI Handling: Tuning an unencrypted channel could stop or disturb decryption of another channel from the same transponder and spoil an ongoing recording of this channel (particularly concerning DVBSky and FireDTV).
Fix: Hardware: Windows messages reporting the arrival or removal of a DVB USB device did not update the executable state of recording timers.
Added: Hardware: DVB-T2 and sub-stream (MPLP) detection for EMPIA based DVB-T2 devices (e.g. Hauppauge WinTV-soloHD, dualHD and PCTV triplestick).
Fix: Hardware: The Hauppauge WinTV-soloHD, dualHD and PCTV triplestick hybrid tuners were erroneously regarded as USB 1.1 devices that are not able to deliver more than one TV channel at the same time. Please note: A new device detection must be performed on Options → Hardware to fix this issue.
Fix: Hardware: DiSEqC with Sundtek DVB-S2 sticks did not work. Please note: A new device detection must be performed on Options → Hardware to fix this issue.
Updated: Hardware Database.
Change: Recorder: Parts of the recorder have been restructured. Recordings are now started after reading the broadcasted service information, thus making it unnecessary to split and restart recording immediately due to channel data changes.
Change: Scaling: Resizer.exe and DVBViewer.exe now support user defined window and font size scaling up to 300%.
Fix: COM Interface: After registering a COM event handler the action ID 16382 for minimizing DVBViewer did not work anymore (see here).
Fix: DVBViewer Media Server Options: After being opened the page did not display the currently selected Media Server, but the first Media Server that was found in the network, which could be misleading.
Updated: DVBViewer Filter (DVBSource) to version 3.9.4.
Added: Playback: Support for HEVC playback with the Lentoid Decoder. Please note: Requires DVBViewer Filter 3.9.4. The measures are optimized for German DVB-T2 (HEVC Full HD 50 fps). They enlarge the buffer size in the DVBViewer Filter so that it exceeds the maximum video PES packet size. Otherwise artifacts may occur. This special size can be tweaked in the file DVBSource.ini (see configuration folder) by adding an entry BufferSize=... in KB to the [Params] section. The default is 320. Increasing the value further for UHD may cause a very high memory consumption, particularly if playback is too slow so that the DVBViewer Filter uses up to 1000 buffers of this size.
- Release Date: Jul 12, 2016
- Fix: Main Window: In case of new installations and installations in which no changes on Settings -> Options -> TV/Radio had been performed yet the "Channel Plus/Minus" and "Favourite Plus/Minus" buttons in the DVBViewer main window tool bar unintentionally opened the OSD EPG display ("Mini EPG"), requiring to press [Enter] for channel switching to take place.
- Fix: Channel Editor: In case of DVB IPTV clicking Apply on the channel data page of the channel editor stored wrong data preventing further reception of the channel.
- Fix: Channel Editor: A change of a satellite frequency on the channel data page of the channel editor did not adjust the LOF and 22 kHz signal settings accordingly.
- Fix: HbbTV: Under certain circumstances redirections were not handled correctly yet.
- Release Date: Jul 5, 2016
- Change: HbbTV: The ce-html and HbbTV web page loading algorithm has been completely rewritten.
- Added: HbbTV: Tweak “Automatic color key detection for HbbTV” (see Tweaker.exe). It activates an algorithm that determines if a color key is necessary. Auto-detection may help if DVBViewer does not show the expected HbbTV content, e.g. a background picture instead of foreground video.
- Fix: Main Window /OSD: Channel switching and/or the Mini EPG OSD did not work correctly with certain combinations of settings (particularly Options → EPG Options → Show EPG Info on channel change, TV/Radio → Browse in MiniEPG, TV/Radio → Channel plus/minus switching delay).
- Fix: OSD: An OSD-embedded video window did not work correctly in EVR Custom mode with DXVA scaling switched on when the chain of playback components was (re)built while the OSD was visible. It caused the video to be stretched to the whole video area, thus hiding the OSD.
- Fix/Change: OSD Options: The OSD pages in the Options have been reworked and reorganized (including the corresponding English and German language file sections). Some flaws have been fixed. All mouse related OSD settings are now located on a new OSD Mouse page that replaces the former OSD Appearance page. Appearance related settings have been moved to the OSD General page.
- Removed: OSD Tweaks: The tweaks “Auto-close OSD channel list”, “Auto-close OSD recording list” and “Auto-close OSD EPG window” are no more available. They are now covered by Options → OSD General → Close OSD on video and TV playback start / Close OSD on audio and radio playback start with extended functionality. Please note that these options only apply to playback started on OSD pages.
- Fix/Change: Options: The Shutdown and Subtitles page have been reworked (including the corresponding English language file sections), some flaws have been fixed.
- Fix: Channel Editor: The F10 keyboard shortcut for “Main Audio Track” function did not work and has been replaced by F8.
- Fix: General: Icon scaling produced ugly results if the screen was set to another color depth than 32 bit.
- Added: Recorder Log: Three additional lines in the recorder log (timer name, intended end time, timer options). Teletext and DVB subtitle streams are also logged now.
- Fix: Recorder Log: In some countries the recorder wrongly used the 12 hour format for logging the duration.
- Fix: Recorder: Corrections concerning the PMT handling. After detecting a wrong PMT PID the recorder did not record the correct one (applies to TS recordings with auto-split switched off). If the “Adjusted PAT/PMT” option was switched on the first PMT in the recording did not indicate all audio streams, causing problems with other software. The PMT was not adjusted if the PMT PID in the channel list was initially 0. No PAT/PMT was written in case of a wrong Service ID.
- Added: Recording Service Options: Tweak “Method for playing remote recordings” (see Tweaker.exe). It can be used if DVBViewer is configured as client of a Recording Service running on another PC and Options -> Recording Service -> Connect to recording list is switched on. The tweak allows DVBViewer to play remote recordings by means of streaming, so that no network shares and UNC paths are required. There are three possible values: 0 = network shares/UNC path (streaming off, default), 1 = media server streaming, 2 = web server streaming (only Recording Service 1.33 or later).
- Change: Hardware Options: The “Has CI module” checkbox is now enabled for IPTV network devices.
- Change: CI Handling: General CI handling enhancements. Inducing decryption does not require a valid PMT PID in the channel list anymore (missing in channels that were scanned while being inactive), thus saving a retune with the corrected PMT PID. Additionally the internal CI handling is not executed uselessly anymore if a required vendor-specific DLL is missing. Some more exceptions are caught and logged.
- Added: File Playback: Tweak “Search Depth in MB” (see Tweaker.exe). Applies to file playback with the DVBViewer Filter. The search depth specifies how many MBs DVBViewer analyzes before playing an MPG or TS file in order to detect the contained streams and the video/audio format. Increasing the value may help if streams are not found, but also increases the time that is needed for analysis.
- Release Date: Apr 3, 2016
- Fix: Mosaic View: The Mosaic View did not apply the Options → OSD Appearance → Overscan Adjustment settings correctly and displayed the pictures with a wrong aspect ratio (depending on the OS aspect ratio).
- Fix: Zoom Settings: The effect of “Stretch vertically up/down” was swapped throughout DVBViewer, including Settings → Zoom, OSD → System → Settings → Zoom and the corresponding actions.
- Change: Zoom Settings: The handling of the Zoom Setting has been reworked and simplified; several inconsistencies have been fixed. DVBViewer now uses only one set of zoom settings for all aspect ratios, not two separate sets for 4:3 and 16:9 anymore. You may revert to the previous behavior by activating the tweak “Separate zoom settings for 4:3 and 16:9” (see Tweaker.exe).
- Fix: DiSEqC: The Preset Position setting was reset to 0 on each (re-)loading of the channel list (channels.dat) and each DVBViewer start..
- Fix: Channel Editor: The additional input elements for the DiSEqC settings “Preset Position”, “Angular Position” and “Extended” were not shown anymore after re-opening the Reception Settings Page.
- Fix: UPnP Window: On a Windows text size of more than 100% the column widths in the Playback → UPnP Window became wider each time when the window was opened, up to a limit of 10000 pixel. In order to fix this issue DVBViewer Pro 5.6.2 resets the column settings to their default when it is launched for the first time.
- Added: Hardware Database: Consideration of (known) DVB-C devices requiring the symbol rate to be multiplied by 1000 before it is passed to the driver. “Scan Devices” automatically adds the SRx1000 flag to the hardware settings in this case.
- Fix: Recorder: Recording all audio channels as TS did not work anymore (in version 5.6.0).
- Fix: EVR / Custom EVR: Issues caused by wrong EVR Video Processor handling if the corresponding tweak was switched on. The default is now “off”.
- Change: Channel Search: After a channel search the Channel Editor automatically selects and shows the first found new channel.
- Fix: Channel Numbering: Under certain conditions the favorite number was not displayed correctly in “Favorites based OSD navigation” mode.
- Fix: Channel Numbering: The status bar still displayed a zero-based channel number if the “One based channel and favorites numbering” tweak was switched on.
- Fix: OSD: After opening the EPG details from the Mini EPG with OSD Green/Yellow and performing OSD Back the last state of the Mini EPG was not restored.
- Fix: OSD: Assigning channel logos to channels failed in certain cases (particularly concerning audio track sub-entries).
- Fix: OSD: Browsing left/right in the Mini EPG only worked for the current (played) channel, not after browsing up/down.
- Added: Main Window: “Hide mouse cursor” tweak (see Tweaker.exe) specifying when the mouse cursor gets hidden in the video area: 0 = never, 1 = only in full screen mode (default), 2 = always (tweak already available in 5.6.0 release).
- Added: Main Window: New menu item View → Windows Size → Source Resolution plus a corresponding action. It adjusts the size of the main window so that TV or a video is displayed in its original resolution. In case of anamorphic video (non-square pixels) DVBViewer preserves the aspect ratio and adjusts the window size either to the horizontal or to the vertical source resolution (depending on the tweak “Best window size by only changing the height”).
- Release Date: Mar 7, 2016
Channel and Favorites Editor
- In the channel list multi-selection is restricted to items belonging to the same level, so a selection cannot contain categories besides channels. Additionally the items (except root nodes) must be located in the same Video or Audio folder, so a selection cannot contain TV and Radio channels or items from different root folders.
- In the favorites list multi-selection is restricted to items of the same type, so a selection cannot contain categories and channels. However, a selection may contain channels from different levels, which means, channels outside and inside of categories.
Added: Channel Editor: Cut, Copy and Paste functions for moving or copying (multi-)selected channel list or favorite items to another location. The functions are available in the context menu of the channel / favorites editor or by using the standard keys Ctrl + X/C/V. Please note that DVBViewer does not use the standard Windows clipboard in this case, but a file in the Windows temp folder that even survives a reboot. Cut, Copy and Paste may serve the following purpose:
- Moving channels or categories within the channel list or favorites list by using Cut and Paste (as keyboard substitute for drag & drop).
- Copying channels or categories from the channel list to the favorites list (as keyboard substitute for drag & drop).
- Copying channels or favorites from or to other DVBViewer instances resp. installations on the same PC (particularly DVBViewer GE). Please note that favorites can only be copied to favorite lists, not to channel lists.
- Copying scan results from the TransEdit Scanner Window to the DVBViewer channel list by using “Copy to clipboard” in the Scanner Window context menu or Ctrl + C. TransEdit exports a mixture of channels from different transponders as category folders and a mixture of TV and Radio channels as root folder, which are inserted as such (including their content, of course) in the DVBViewer channel list. Only channels of the same type (TV or Radio) from the same transponder (frequency) are copied as pure channels.
Please note the following restrictions:
- The favorites editor actively prevents duplicates, so it does not make sense to use Copy and Paste within the favorites. After drag & drop or copy & paste of channels to the favorites a message box informs about how many of the selected channels were rejected because they are already present in the favorites list.
- Favorites only work if they are also present in the channel list (the favorites list is a subset of the channel list), so it is no good idea to use Cut and Paste for moving channels from the channel list to the favorites. It may result in data loss since it is not possible to to move/copy channels from the favorites back to the channel list.
Added: Channel Editor: “Sort Alphabetically” function in the context menu of the channel editor (Ctrl + O). Sorts the categories contained in the selected video/audio folder or the channels contained in the selected category folder(s) in alphabetical order. Please note that this kind of sorting changes the channel list permanently, unlike the sort functions in the channel list (without editor) that only influence how the channel list is displayed.
Added: Channel Editor: Context sensitive help function for the different editor pages. Please use the question mark tool button or F1 to open the corresponding Wiki page in your browser.
Change: Channel Editor: The auto-expand delay for drag & drop has been increased from 1 to 2 seconds.
Added: Channel Editor: “New” Button on the channel data page. It opens a pop-up menu allowing to select the tuner type for new channel data that can be entered on a page where all parameters are blank resp. set to zero.
Fix: Channel Editor: File names containing a dot were cut off at this position on export.
Change: Favorites Editor: New icons for the favorites indicating the tuner type (DVB-S/T/C) and if the channel is encrypted. Please note: A red cross indicates that no matching channel can be found for this favorite. Additionally it is disabled in the Favorite Menu and skipped on Favorite Plus/Minus. To make it work again such a favorite must be recreated, or the missing channel must be added again to the channel list.
The channel ID based assignment of favorites to channels is handled more strictly than before. A maximum of one deviating Channel ID attribute is accepted (and subsequently corrected). Otherwise the favorite is regarded as “not assignable”. However, a new internal favorite auto-update function continuously synchronizes the favorites with channel ID changes while DVBViewer is running. For example if a channel is renamed, the associated favorite is renamed in the same way. This measure avoids broken links between favorites and the corresponding channels.
Reception Settings and Channel Search
Removed: Channel Editor: Satellite reception settings like DiSEqC, LOF and Tone cannot be set up per folder or channel anymore. They are only displayed as information on the channel data page. Please use the new Reception Settings page to configure reception of a satellite position (see below).
Added: Channel Editor: Clicking the gear wheel tool button opens a new Reception Settings page. The list on the left shows the available reception types (depending on the available tuner types). The list on the right shows the available transponder resp. frequency lists for the selected reception type. They are required for a channel search.
The Update Button updates both lists after changes in the hardware configuration, channel list or the transponder list directory. The “New DVB-S” Button creates a new satellite reception type item. It becomes permanent after selecting a transponder list for it and performing a channel search. The Transponder List Directory link opens an Explorer window showing the files in the transponder list directory.
The settings section allows to change the name of the selected transponder list and to set up DiSEqC and the LNB type for satellite reception. Clicking Apply updates the selected transponder list and all channels belonging to the selected reception type accordingly. Additionally Apply creates a permanent link between the reception type and the transponder list so it only has to be set up once for a channel search.
Please note that each satellite position is regarded as a separate reception type. Internally it is identified by its orbital position originating from the transponder list that has been used for scanning. However, if channel list entries are very old or have been created by a scan without transponder list, no orbital position may be assigned to them. They will let a “DVB-S 0°” item appear in the reception type list. Please select a matching transponder list for this item and click Apply to prevent issues that may result from missing orbital position assignments.
Change: Channel Search: The Channel Search Window has been integrated in the Channel Editor. It does not lock the DVBViewer UI anymore, that now remains accessible while a channel search is going on. The scanner engine and UI has been adopted from the DVBViewer GE scanner, entailing several fixes and updates, including new options, correct handling of DVB-T2 transponders, scanning for DVB-T2 MPLP sub-streams with appropriate hardware (Digital Devices, DVBSky) and the possibility to scan DVB IPTV lists (as for T-Entertain, INI and M3U format supported).
Please note that the new scanner engine does not support “blind scans” without transponder list anymore. A transponder list is now mandatory for scanning. If the Reception Settings Page does not offer a matching transponder list for your satellite position, or if it is outdated, please download an according INI file from one of the following web pages
and drag & drop it into the “Transponder Lists” field of the Reception Settings Page. This will store the file in the transponder list directory and make it available in the “Transponder Lists” list box.
Added: Channel Editor / Channel Search: “Scan this Frequency (F10)” item in the channel editor context menu. It is only available if the scanner page is visible, not scanning and a channel with a matching reception type is selected. The command sets the start transponder resp. frequency on the scanner page to the channel's transponder, thus enabling to scan it with “Scan Frequency”.
General Channel Handling
The recorder's auto-update activities do not depend anymore on at least one of the “All Audio Tracks”, “DVB Subtitles” and “Auto-Split” options being switched on. The channel data in the channel list is updated in any case provided the channel is not flagged as “don't update automatically” (see below). Streams are dynamically added to TS recordings in any case if the auto-update function detects that one of the initial PIDs is wrong. Please note that streams cannot be dynamically added or corrected in ongoing MPG and pure audio (e. g. MP2) recordings. They require a restart resp. the auto-split option for being corrected.
Added: Channel Editor: “Don't update automatically” checkbox on the channel data page. It declares a channel as “solely handled manually” and prevents all auto-update and auto-correction, including updates by a channel search, auto-split of recordings on channel data change or adding audio tracks that are not present in the channel list when recording.
“Don't update automatically” may be useful for keeping manual corrections if wrong channel data is broadcasted in service information tables, e. g. causing EPG data not to be assigned to a channel or similar issues. It can also be set / reset per category if a folder is selected. In this case it applies to all contained channels. However, only use this checkbox if inevitable because of the functional restrictions.
Fix: Channel List: Jumbled numbering after performing import, channel search and other functions.
Change: Channel List: The Hide Submenu items in the context menu have been moved to the Filter Submenu and renamed, so that all items are conforming to a “Only *** Channels” scheme.
Change: Channel List: In “Only show favorites” filter mode the channel list now shows the favorites with their original structure and numbering, not as reduced channel list anymore. This applies to all channel list representations in the UI except the channel editor.
Added: Channel List: “Only Channels with H.264/265” filter option in the context menu.
Change: Favorites: The tweak “Favorites based OSD navigation” (see Tweaker.exe) now also swaps the meaning of the number actions, so that Channel0...Channel9 are used for favorite number input and Fav0...Fav9 for channel number input.
Added: Channel Numbering: The “One based favorites numbering” tweak (see Tweaker.exe) now also applies to channel numbering. Please note that the one-based numbering is now switched on by default on new installations resp. installations without keeping the settings.
Added: Channel Numbering: A leading asterisk (*) now indicates that a number displayed in the main window is a favorite number, not a channel number.
Change: Channel List: If there is no channel list (channels.dat) in the configuration directory or if it is empty the default channel list containing channels from the main European satellite positions is only loaded from the installation directory if a DVB-S device is available.
Change: Channel List: If f there is no channel list (channels.dat) in the configuration directory or if it is empty or if the default channel list has been loaded, DVBViewer automatically opens the Channel Editor after being launched, provided DVB devices are available. The Editor shows the Reception Settings page, allowing to select a reception type, to configure it and to perform a channel search.
Main Window / OSD / D3D / MadVR
Added: DirectX Options / MadVR: Checkbox “Low Latency OSD Mode”. Lets the OSD respond faster if MadVR is used as video renderer, but may cause video to become less fluid while the OSD is active.
Added: MadVR: Tweak “Use extended OSD capabilities of recent MadVR versions” (see Tweaker.exe). Lets DVBViewer use the capability of recent MadVR versions to output the OSD in stop/pause resp. still picture mode, thus enabling visual seeking and fast forward/rewind. The default setting is off (for now). Please note: Only use this tweak with MadVR version 0.90.10 or later!
Added: Mouse Options: The Input → Mouse Options contain a new “Ctrl + Mouse Wheel” section. It specifies which function is executed if the mouse wheel is used in the Main Window while the Ctrl key is pressed. Additionally there are two new checkboxes allowing to use the mouse wheel for brightness and contrast adjustment.
Change: Mouse Options: The options for the function of the middle mouse button in the OSD have been moved from Input → Mouse to OSD General.
Added: OSD: The OSD temporarily shows percent values that have been changed by the actions for brightness up/down, contrast up/down etc. and the zoom / stretch actions. This also applies to the mouse wheel (see above).
Added: Mouse Wheel: Channel selection with the mouse wheel now uses the Options → TV/Radio → Channel plus/minus switching delay, so that the Mini EPG can display the channel / favorite that will be selected in advance, provided Options → EPG → Show EPG Info on channel change is switched on.
Fix Mouse Wheel: Mouse wheel messages were processed more than once by the DVBViewer main window under Windows 10 with “scroll inactive windows” configuration, causing the mouse wheel to appear “hypersensitive”.
Fix: General: Windows did not dock gaplessly to the desktop edges or other windows under Windows 10. Please note: This issue cannot be avoided completely since it is caused by the Windows 10 design resp. theme. The visible window dimensions are smaller than the dimensions reported by the Windows API.
Change/Fix: OSD Mosaic Preview: The middle mouse button now executes as intended the “OSD Back” command in the Mosaic Preview, thus closing it.
Fix: UPNP OSD Window: The list was not updated when UPnP servers were added or removed in the network.
Fix: Mini EPG: On channel plus/minus the MiniEPG temporarily displayed the wrong channel if the tweak “Favorites based OSD-Navigation” was active (channel numbers were mistaken as favorite numbers).
Fix: Audio Settings: The checkmark in the Settings → Audio Channel submenu was not updated correctly after a change.
Fix: Visualizations: Visualizations did not work in case of floating point audio decoder output.
Recording / Recording Service / Hardware / Plug-ins
Fix: Recorder: Channels with MPEG video and AC3 or AAC audio were recorded as TS, though MPG was selected as output format.
Change: Recorder / Timeshift Options: The default value for the minimum free disk space has been increased to 300 MB (takes effect on new installations).
Changed: Recording Service Wizard: The handling has been simplified by removing some special settings, that are still available on Options → Hardware and Options → Recording Service, however. After wizard completion the last channel is retuned.
Fix: Recording Service Usage: Under certain circumstances (particularly non-latin character sets) an insufficient character coding could cause garbled descriptions after editing timers and sending them to the Recording Service.
Added: Logging: Logging of DVB device removal in the DVBViewer.log (in debug mode) and the recording log (if an ongoing recording is affected).
Change: RTSP Device: The RTSP Network Device (for Sat>IP) now closes and re-opens the session on tuning if the RTSP server delivered no data within the last two seconds. This allows manual retuning after the network connection has been interrupted.
Change: Plug-ins: The DVBViewer setup does not allow plug-ins anymore to write to the Plugins Directory. Plug-ins should read the configuration directory path from the file UserMode.ini in order to save their data. Please note: If you are still using old / out-dated plug-ins it may be necessary to adjust the access rights for the Plugins Directory manually after the DVBViewer 5.6 installation.
- Release Date: Sep 14, 2015
- Fix: HbbTV: HbbTV video playback did not work (since 5.5.1).
- Fix: Stream Playback: Decoder / Renderer selection for streams in filter graph presets did not work.
- Fix: Channel List Editor: Drag & Drop of channels into empty category folders did not work.
- Fix: Channel List Editor: Wrong numbering of exported INI channel lists, so that the import function only read the first channel.
- Add: Channel List Editor: “Delete Duplicates” item in the context menu. It deletes multiple entries for the same channel except the first one. Audio track sub-items are excluded. Different audio tracks of the same channel that are stored as separate channel entries (not as sub-items) remain untouched.
- Add: TV / Radio Options: Possibility to select if the Popup Channel List shall appear on the right or left side of the main window.
- Change: Main Window: The width of the mouse sensitive area that lets the Popup Channel List appear is scaled according to the window width.
- Fix: Hardware: “Retune on missing stream” was repeated endlessly after Unicable reception failure, even when data arrived again.
- Fix: Hardware: DiSEqC problem with latest Sundtek SkyTV driver.
- Add: Hardware Options: Virtual RTSP (Sat>IP) network devices are displayed in red if no server IP is configured.
- Change: Hardware Options: Adding a virtual RTSP network device, unicast network device or file device automatically opens the corresponding configuration dialog.
- Updated: EPG Window: The file EPG_URLList.ini contains new and corrected EPG Window → Search → Internet popup menu items. In case of an DVBViewer Pro update installation please copy the file from the installation folder to the configuration folder if you want to use it.
- Release Date: Aug 30, 2015
- In Memoriam - Lars Gehre
- Fix/Change: Main Window: Several window state related issues concerning “Hide All” mode, Radio Window etc. The Radio Window is now always shown with title bar, menu bar, tool bar and status bar. These elements cannot be hidden anymore (the variable height caused some unwanted effects). The Radio Window width is now handled and stored independently from the Video Window width...
- Add: General: Scaling of tool button icons and other graphical elements according to the Windows text size settings in the Control Panel → Appearance and Personalization → Display section (with regard to 4k displays).
- Fix: Playlist Window: The toolbar icons at the lower right were not displayed. Additionally the toolbar icons on the left side were displayed with magenta background if the channel list editor was opened before the playlist (old bug already in 5.1).
- Change/Fix: Stream Playback: Playback of RTSP and RTMP (Flash) URLs is now delegated by default to the LAV Source Filter if installed (previously to the VOD Source Filter that couldn't handle it). Additionally the DVBViewer Playlist now recognizes RTSP and RTMP URLs in .m3u playlist files as URL. Previously they were wrongly treated as local file paths. In combination this enables import and playback of RTSP channel lists (as provided by Sat>IP servers).
- Change/Fix: Stream Playback: Filter graph presets for playing URLs (containing “stream” as condition) took only effect partly. Now it is possible to create presets for certain protocol types by specifying them as pseudo file extensions (e. g. .http), particularly for forcing the usage of a source filter like LAV. Please note that this may prevent playback of HbbTV content that requires a certain user agent.
- Change: General: The “Large Address Awareness Flag” is set again.
- Add: General: Detection of the ATSC E-AC3 stream type.
- Add: Recorder Options: “Scheduler launch attempts” tweak (see Tweaker.exe). Specifies whether the Windows Task Scheduler shall try to launch DVBViewer Pro one time or two times for a scheduled recording. The default is 1.
- Add: Channel Auto Update: DVBViewer now also updates / corrects the Network ID, thus avoiding failure of channel -> EPG data assignment.
- Change: Channel List Editor: The Delete buttons were replaced by a single waste bin tool button.
- Add: Channel List Editor: “New Category” tool button and context menu item. Inserts a category folder at the selected position.
- Add: Channel List Editor: “New Root” context menu item. Adds a root folder to the channel list.
- Add: Channel List Editor: “Default Audio Track” context menu item (F10). Turns the selected audio track sub-entry into the main audio track.
- Change: Channel List Editor: Scan, Edit Favorites and Close buttons replaced by tool buttons.
- Change: Channel List Editor: The current channel resp. audio track played in the main window is displayed in bold (also applies to all channel list views except in the OSD). Previously bold channel names indicated in a faulty way channels that had already been handled by the automatic channel update.
- Fix: Channel List Editor: Incomplete and faulty handling of the “Changed” flag indicating whether the channel list in memory differs from the channel list on disk. The activation / deactivation of the Save and Reload tool button now indicate the current state (also applies to the Favorites Editor resp. favorites list).
- Fix: Channel List Editor: Missing update of the favorites menu in the main window after changes in the Favorite Editor on some occasions.
- Change/Fix: Channel List Editor: Some Icons have been changed / corrected, particularly those of the “New Folder” and “Reload/Undo” tool buttons in the favorites editor.
- Fix: Channel List Editor: The in-place edit box for changing category names showed no text cursor.
- Add: Channel List Editor: In-place edit box for changing channel, category and root names. It is activated by slowly double-clicking an item (aslike in Windows Explorer).
- Add: Channel List Editor: After rebuilding the channel list tree view the editor re-selects the last selected channel instead of displaying the tree in collapsed state. Particularly applies to the “Reload” function and to automatic channel updates.
- Fix: Channel List Editor: The Favorites Editor did not auto-scroll the content of expanded nodes into view.
- Change/Fix: Channel List: General code cleanup and various minor fixes concerning the channel list management. “Same transponder” detection does not require identical DiSEqC settings anymore.
- Change: RTSP Device / Sat>IP: The “Hardware → Retune on missing stream” option now reconnects to the server resp. starts a new session, thus being able to re-establish a lost network connection (previously it only repeated the tune command).
- Fix: Hardware: The TerraTec Connect N3 network tuner was not handled correctly.
- Updated: Tweaker.exe to version 1.0.6. It displays settings that differ from the default in italic. A new Default Button allows to reset the selected setting individually. The former Default Button is now labeled “All Default”. It resets all settings to their default.
- Release Date: Jul 27, 2015
- Change: Hardware: The “Retune on missing stream...” function now ensures that the interval between (!) two tuning processes is at least twice as long as the time needed for tuning, thus preventing DVBViewer from getting completely occupied by repeated tuning.
- Removed: Hardware Options: The device status cannot be set to “Preferred” anymore. Free devices are now allocated solely according to the device list order. The first (topmost) entry has the highest priority.
- Add: Hardware Options: The selected device list entry can be moved up and down by using the shift key plus arrow up/down, thereby influencing its priority.
- Fix: Hardware Options: The Delete button in the DVB File Device settings did not perform any action.
- Add: Hardware Options: Tweak for devices / BDA drivers that expect a symbol rate value multiplied by 1000 (applies specifically to the PCTV 291e/461e DVB-C tuner). The following line has to be added manually in the corresponding section of the file hardware.xml:
- <entry name="SRx1000">1</entry>
- Fix: RTSP Device: The Sat>IP Frontend Tweak (to be added manually in the file hardware.xml) did not work correctly.
- Fix: Unicast Device: Switching between scrambled channels did not work anymore.
- Change/Add: Channel List: The keyboard shortcuts for the filter options are now Ctrl + function keys (previously function keys without Ctrl colliding with standard functions like F1 for help). Shortcuts for other functions have been added (see channel list context menu).
- Fix: Channel List: Adding a favorite via the channel list context menu did not update the favorites menu in the main window.
- Add: Channel List: If the file channels.dat can neither be loaded from the configuration folder nor from the installation folder, DVBViewer tries to load the backup file channels.bak.
- Fix: Channel List Editor: Right-clicking the favorites panel did not select the according entry.
- Fix: Options: In certain cases the Options Window did not show the last selected page when it was re-opened and radio buttons did not show the current settings.
- Fix: Music Options: The “FreeDB Audio CD lookup” checkbox did not activate the Apply button. Under certain circumstances the “Cleanup Database” function caused an access violation, which caused an hourglass cursor to remain active until DVBViewer was restarted.
- Fix: EPG Options: The “Offset to GMT” field in the time zone settings displayed the value as time of day formatted according to the Windows regional settings (e.g. with AM/PM), not as a simple time offset. Selecting “Automatic time zone” did not reset the offset to the standard value.
- Fix: EPG Window: Several language file related issues (@language file authors: requires language file update). The search settings were not stored in the file setup.xml and got lost when DVBViewer was closed. Additionally right-clicking the timeline did not select the according entry.
- Change: OSD: Several default skin pages reworked.
- Fix: OSD: Truncated EPG descriptions of Freesat / Freeview programs.
- Fix: OSD: The caption of the currently played playlist item was invisible in the default (Envy) skin.
- Fix: OSD: After browsing channels in the Mini EPG and closing it, the OSD Main Menu showed the logo of the last Mini EPG channel, not the logo of the currently played channel.
- Fix: OSD: The OSD Menu → htpcHome → UPnP page could let DVBViewer freeze for a long time.
- Fix: OSD: While being shown OSD dialogs prevented UI status updates. Additionally the pop-up channel list did not disappear.
- Change: OSD/Weather: MSN weather has been replaced by OpenWeather and GeoNames.org. Microsoft seems to have abandoned the support for its weather forecast system. Please note: The cities in the weather options need to be updated since the IDs have changed.
- Fix: MHEG-5 / OSD: Some flaws when receiving and displaying BBC MHEG-5 content.
- Fix: General: The support for visually impaired resp. screen readers in the Virtual TreeView component was broken again.
- Add: Recorder: Removing video filler data includes an additional filler data type (adaptation field stuffing).
- Change: Recording Service: DVBViewer only responds to shutdown messages (by showing a confirmation dialog) sent by the Recording Service with which it is associated. Formerly shutdown dialogs for other Recording Service instances in the network showed up, but the Cancel Button had no effect (did not stop shutdown).
- Change: Recording Service: DVBViewer uses the value in Options → General → Shutdown → Shutdown Warning Timeout for the “Recording Service will shutdown” dialog instead of hard-coded 20 seconds. This also allows to disable the dialog completely.
- Fix: Playlist: DVBViewer did not recognize .m3u8 files as playlist and tried to play comments and unknown extended M3U directives (with leading #) as a file.
- Fix: Custom EVR / DVD Playback: Selection changes in DVD menus remained invisible if the Custom EVR was used in combination with certain decoders.