Roku has just released a firmware update for its HD XR line of multimedia boxes that fixes various bugs, has playback optimizations, and enables 1080p playback.
If your device hasn’t yet automatically retrieved the update, you can manually grab the firmware by going to Settings, then Player Info, then Check For Updates.
Here are the release notes for firmware v2.9b1509:
- Enabled 1080P support for XR units.
- Hulu application optimizations for quicker trick play navigation and start of playback.
- Hulu application optimization for improved playback performance on networks with higher latencies.
- Fixed a bug that could result in a crash if an app tried to load an image that was too large (greater than 1280x720).
- Fixed playback of poorly interleaved video streams which resulted in rebuffers around the 25 minute mark in Roku Newscaster programs.
- Fixed a remaining case of playback at the incorrect aspect ratio.
- Changed option menu action name from “change order” to “change position” for re-arranging channels.
- Fixed a bug in channel re-ordering related to presence of screen savers.
- Modified channel store “go to channel” behavior to launch the selected channel instead of only focusing the icon on the Home screen.
- Added screensaver preview and set options to the channel store springboard.
- Fixed a subtle audio playback issue in UFC streaming.