This is the version history page for Aegisub. You can return to the main page for this software by clicking here.
- Version 3.2.2 (Dec 8, 2014)
- Version 3.2.1 (Sep 15, 2014)
- Version 3.2.0 (Jul 29, 2014)
- Version 3.1.3 (Apr 7, 2014)
- Version 3.1.2 (Feb 3, 2014)
- Version 3.1.1 (Jan 13, 2014)
- Version 3.1.0 (Jan 5, 2014)
- Version 3.0.4 (Jul 5, 2013)
- Version 3.0.3 (Jun 29, 2013)
- Version 3.0.2 (Oct 23, 2012)
- Version 3.0.1 (Oct 9, 2012)
- Version 3.0.0 (Oct 1, 2012)
- Version 2.1.9 (Feb 5, 2012)
- Version 2.1.8 (Jan 30, 2010)
- Version 2.1.7 (Jul 15, 2009)
- Version 2.1.6 (Nov 26, 2008)
- Version 2.1.5 (Nov 23, 2008)
- Version 2.14 (Nov 14, 2008)
- Version 2.13a (Oct 29, 2008)
- Version 1.10 Beta (Aug 8, 2006)
- Release Date: Dec 8, 2014
- Update Spanish, Ukrainian, Hungarian and Finnish translations
- Skip writing the Aegisub project stuff when exporting to ASS
- Fix some ugliness in the OS X icon
- Update the selection and scroll position after opening subtitles from video
- Fix crash on a certain kind of malformed shift times history file
- Don't set the YCbCr header field to "None" when resampling resolution without changing colors
- Release Date: Sep 15, 2014
- Actually register the SSA file handler so that SSA files can be opened and exported
- Deduplicate Extradata entries created by Automation scripts
- Fix loading subtitles from Matroska files which have [Aegisub Extradata] sections
- Handle parsing errors when loading Shift Times history
- Add Ukrainian UI translation
- Release Date: Jul 29, 2014
- Please refer to the changelog (http://www.aegisub.org/changelog/3.2.0/) for a complete list of changes
- Release Date: Apr 7, 2014
Fix memory leaks when automation errors occur
Add an error check for trying to interact with an expired subtitles object rather than just crashing
- Return a rgba string for coloralpha lua controls (rather than just rgb)
Update to moonscript 0.2.5
- Fix a crash when deleting lines with audio open
- Sort the actor and effect dropdown lists (#1715)
- Fix crash on startup when the config file can't be written
- Fix some performance issues with very large selections
- Fix some cases where the taskbar progress indicator would get stuck at nearly complete
- Speed up passing subtitles to libass a bit
- Fontconfig reads installed fonts from the registry on Windows, adding support for fonts installed via font managers to the fonts collector
- Release Date: Feb 3, 2014
- Actually install the Dutch translation
- Update Basque translation
- Add Bulgarian translation
- Bug Fixes
- Fix some issues with file associations on Windows 7 and later
- Make subs.deleterange(start, end) not do totally incorrect things
- Fix some cases where the row to extend shift-click selections in the grid was not updated correctly
- Fix assertion failure when built with boost 1.52
- Release Date: Jan 13, 2014
- Update Spanish translation
- Update Simplified Chinese translation
- Update Hungarian translation
- Bug Fixes
- Fix spellchecker dictionary listing on Vista
- Reenable shift-enter to insert \N in the translation assistant
- Don't modify the "YCbCr Matrix" header when dummy video is opened
- Fix constant codecvt errors on OS X
- Release Date: Jan 5, 2014
- Please refer to the changelog (http://www.aegisub.org/changelog/3.1.0/) for a complete list of changes
- Release Date: Jul 5, 2013
- Windows: Fix context menus in many controls (#1619)
- Windows: Work around access denied errors from antivirus scanners (#1618)
- Translations: Update Basque translation
- Release Date: Jun 29, 2013
- Please refer to the changelog (http://www.aegisub.org/changelog/3.0.3/) for a complete list of changes
- Release Date: Oct 23, 2012
- Please refer to the changelog (http://www.aegisub.org/changelog/3.0.2/) for a complete list of changes
- Release Date: Oct 9, 2012
- Please refer to the changelog (http://blog.aegisub.org/2012/10/aegisub-301-released.html) for a complete list of changes
- Release Date: Oct 1, 2012
- Please refer to the changelog (http://www.aegisub.org/changelog/3.0.0/) for a complete list of changes
- Release Date: Feb 5, 2012
- The release mainly consist of bug-fixes.
- Completely rewritten SRT parser, much more robust and handles formatting codes much better.
- Karaskel (and thus kara-templater) now correct for script/video resolution mismatch, you no longer have to make sure they match to get correct positioning in karaoke effects.
- The Windows installer no longer includes spell checker and thesaurus dictionaries. This has made it about 10 MB smaller. Dictionaries are now instead offered as separate downloads.
- Autocommit in audio karaoke mode works again.
- We now ship with FFmpegSource 2.17 on Windows which has much improved media support, including 10 bit H.264 and MKV header removal compression.
- After numerous complaints, the splash screen is completely gone now.
- Rewritten ALSA audio player, meaning much more stable audio playback on Linux. Also fixed the PulseAudio player.
- The Mac OS X build should be more stable overall, largely due to bug-fixes and improvements in wxWidgets.
- Added translations to Farsi and Polish.
- Attachments: The Attachments dialogue will now properly set undo points
- Attachments: When closing the Attachments dialogue, any empty attachment sections are cleaned up from the file
- Audio: Fix a handle leak and a rare deadlock in the DirectSound audio player
- Audio: Might be a little faster when displaying keyframe markers (pink lines)
- Audio: No more "You pressed cancel!" pseudo-errors when canceling audio loading
- Automation: Fix for rare furigana layout issue in karaskel
- Automation: The append operation for the subtitle object now intelligently appends dialogue lines to the end of the Events section instead of absolute end of file, solving issues with appending dialogue after attachments
- Automation: Returning selections from Lua macros now works correctly, no longer shifts the selection down by one from the intended
- Automation: The table.copy_deep function in utils.lua now works as advertised and handles self-referencing tables and circular references
- Automation: Added new "remember/recall" suite of functions to Karaoke Templater
- File i/o: Selecting charset/text encoding after opening a non-Unicode file now properly respects your choice
- File i/o: Added support for writing the EBU STL (tech 3264) subtitle data exchange format
- File i/o: Warn if trying to load a binary .sub file, which is likely a VobSub file (which is not supported)
- General: Changed compilation settings to make the Windows binaries smaller without sacrificing speed or functionality
- General: VSFilter is now linked as a normal DLL dependency instead of dynamically discovered at runtime, using alternative CSRI renderers no longer possible, this should make loading a wrong vsfilter almost impossible
- General: Various input methods on Linux should work more reliably now
- General: Fixed a variety of memory leaks
- Help system: The locally installed help would never actually get used when using Help buttons or the Help menu
- Hotkeys: Fixed a bug where having a hotkeyable item having no hotkey would cause wrong key combinations (try to) activate that anyway
- Installer: Various changes making it more stable, issues with Kapersky Internet Security 8 should be solved now
- Installer: The portable version is now (again) a self-extracting RAR archive, rather than an InnoSetup installer
- Select Lines: The active line is now always one of the selected lines after using the Select Lines dialog
- Shift Times: Made the shift times history display one-based frame numbers when shifting the selection onwards
- Spell checker: Updated list of "word separator" characters, meaning punctuation such as hyphens should now behave better
- Spell checker: You now get an appropriate message when no dictionaries are installed and you try to spell check
- Style Manager: Duplicating a style and renaming the copy no longer gives a rename warning
- Style Manager: Fixes to copying styles between storage and script
- Style Manager: All controls are now dynamically resized, as a result it is overall a little larger and adjusts size to fit translated texts
- Subtitle grid: The subtitle grid now also takes the width of column title texts into account when calculating column sizes, allowing translations more freedom in choice of column texts
- Subtitle grid: Fixed the "clicking near top/bottom of grid selects multiple lines" issue, and other row selection issues
- Timing post-processor: The "make adjacent" threshold now has the end of the range be inclusive
- Translation Assistant: Fixed a control layout issue on Mac, preventing it from working properly there
- Translations: Added Polish
- Translations: Added Farsi (Persian)
- Update checker: Fix a possible crash
- Video: Canceling FFmpegSource indexing now stops video loading, instead of trying another video provider
- Video: Fixed a bug related to first loading timecodes, then loading a video, causing subtitle rendering to break
- Video display: Detached mode should work properly (again?)
- Video display: Zooming video in works correctly again, it no longer compresses the video
- Video display: As a side effect of the above, there is now no longer a sunken border around the video
- Video display: The video display was consistently a little too small in each direction, causing blurry display
- Video display: Other minor optimisations and improvements to error reporting
- Video display: Fixed minor bugs with opening a new video without closing an already open one
- Video display: The visual typesetting tools are now hidden when video is playing
- Video display: Maybe made the OpenGL initialisation for the video display more reliable on poor drivers, might fix issues with some ATI/AMD and Intel driver versions
- Release Date: Jan 30, 2010
- Official Mac, Linux and Unix versions. The Mac version is still alpha quality, though, and we don't have specific binary packages for many Linux distributions.
- Fixed the "Could not lock buffer for filling" problem when playing audio on Windows 7, and rarely on Vista too.
- The video display is now much more compatible with limited OpenGL drivers and should work on all systems, notably Windows Vista and 7 with standard drivers.
- Clicking "Play" on the video now only plays audio if you have explicitly opened audio from the Audio menu. If you want to hear any sound you now must load audio via the Audio menu.
- The Portable version is now (almost) full-featured, only missing is ASSDraw3, because making a portable version of that is non-trivial. We also have an upgrade installer saving you a lot of download, if you already have 2.1.7 installed.
- Release Date: Jul 15, 2009
- DirectSound audio player has been completely rewritten (again) - this should give much better stability of audio playback. Note that the old DirectSound player is still available, you can change to it in Options. If you're using Windows 7, the old one seems to be more reliable.
- PCM WAV audio provider actually works again, and with files of any size. (No more crashing with files bigger than 256 MB.)
- Tip of the Day has been removed.
- Loads of changes to FFmpegSource2 (FFMS2) giving better support for almost everything, making it more stable and so on.
- Lots of memory leaks have been fixed, Aegisub should use less memory now.
- Bug fixes in many file format readers and writers. Loading and saving subtitles to foreign formats should be more reliable now. Problems with frame-based/SMPTE timecode-based formats fixed.
- The Kanji Timer function has been almost completely rewritten, squashing all known bugs and giving a prettier GUI. The use is the same.
- OpenGL errors in the video display are no longer fatal. You will get an error message, and video won't open if Aegisub doesn't support your graphics card/driver, but it shouldn't crash. See below for a workaround if video doesn't work for you.
- Some additions to Karaoke Templater, you can now create loops with variable iteration counts (including infinite!) making a lot of effects more feasible.
- The "Local configuration" option was removed from Options. If you want a "portable" version of Aegisub (as it was intended for making) we now have a separate download package for that. It also actually works as advertised now. See the download page for details.
- An innumerable amount of other minor, cosmetic changes that just makes everyday use more convenient and smoother.
- Release Date: Nov 26, 2008
- pparently the fix on 2.1.5 caused audio selection to become much slower. This release will hopefully fix all of those issues. Since this is a very minor change, you can download a RAR with only the new executable (plus its pdb) and extract it over the 2.1.5 install (typically "C:\Program Files\Aegisub").
- Release Date: Nov 23, 2008
- Fixed a bug in audio display that caused it not to update properly (introduced on 2.1.4)
- Fixed a bug that caused Aegisub to crash if you attempted to load any ASS subtitles with malformed embedded fonts
- Tweaked the layout of the visual typesetting bar
- Release Date: Nov 14, 2008
- Hopefully removed the dependency on Visual C++ 2005 SP1 runtimes
- Greatly improved the draw speed of audio display (should make committing on spectrum mode much faster, depending on your settings) - please let me know if any instabilities are caused by this
- Fixed the aspect ratio of video when the audio display is too tall
- Added Hungarian translation
- Fixed a styling glitch in the fonts collector and translation assistant
- Made Aegisub capable of running if ffms2.dll isn't found
Version 1.10 Beta
- Release Date: Oct 29, 2008
- FFmpegSource2 is the new default audio and video provider, replacing Avisynth. This should provide frame-exact seeking (with keyframe support) on AVI, MKV and MP4 files, as well as other benefits. This is still a bit experimental, however. If you have any issues, just switch back to Avisynth in options.
- The DirectSound audio player was reverted to what it was in 2.1.1, since 2.1.2 seems to have critical issues related to it.
- Many small issues around the program were fixed.
- VSFilter has been updated to the MPC-HC 2.39 version, which includes jfs's new patches (see this post)
- Aegisub is now built against Visual C++ 2008 SP1 runtimes. Hopefully there will be no issues related to this (ASSDraw is still built against 2005 SP1 runtimes, due to library issues). If you can't run Aegisub, try installing this and reporting how it goes
- Release Date: Aug 8, 2006
- Always defaults to Audio Cache=1 (ram) now (Myrsloik)
- Automation: Added xor(a,b) boolean logical function to utils.lua (jfs)
- Automation: Various changes to karaskel.lua and karaskel-adv.lua: (jfs)
- Added some debug-calls (which are disabled by default; aegisub.output_debug is replaced with a do-nothing function (you can change this in karaskel.lua)
- The regular aegisub.output_debug is aliased to aegisub.output_warning, in order to always be able to show real warnings, in case something goes wrong
- Fixed bug, triggered when a line had a style not defined in the subs. A warning is now shown instead.
- Fixed bug in parser that would cause Aegisub to crash if you had a \fn without parameters and tried to pick font. (AMZ)
- Fixed crash when opening audio that appeared in 1.08 (Myrsloik)
- Karaoke mode changes: (jfs)
- New syllable-splitter: Click "split" to enable splitting-mode, click in syllable view to set split-markers, then click commit to do the splitting
- The correct \k tag (\k, \kf, \ko, \K) is now kept when splitting/joining
- When editing karaoke-timing for a line and not splitting/joining, all tags are kept intact, so only the \k tag timings are changed
- Right-click in karaoke area to change the tag (\k, \kf, \ko)
- Click and drag to select multiple syllables
- Fixed bug where \t tags (among others?) would lose their parameters when being rebuilt (happens with Framerate Transport export filter, Automation and during the karaoke timing improvements listed above, among other places) (jfs)
- Implemented FexTracker, for automatically tracking positions on the video and placing text accordingly (Tentacle)
- Drag-and-drop files onto the program no longer causes the subs to be unloaded every time, even if no subs were dropped (jfs)
- 1,1+2 recombining lines where 1 is a substring of 2 no longer causes incorrect behavior. 1+2,2 similarly fixed. This fix also gives more sanity-checking in the recombining (jfs)
- Replaced the subtitles grid with a custom control, which should hopefully behave and look better. (AMZ) Changes are:
- Currently active line is now highlighted with a border.
- The grid can optionally no longer receive focus (this behavior is disabled by default, change "Grid Allow Focus" to 0 in config.dat to prevent it from getting focus).
- Fixed bug related to tag cycling, which would reset grid, move video and force a refresh of everything (slow, and could undo uncommited changes).
- Rows colliding with the currently active one will now be highlighted in grid.
- Selected comments are now highlighted in a different color.
- Fixed behavior of deleting and joining lines on grid.
- Inserted lines will now be automatically selected.
- Alt+Click on grid will activate the clicked line, without modifying selection.
- Actor and effect columns are now only visible if they are being used.
- Double clicking a row will jump video to it, regardless of auto go to option.
- Unhandled keypresses in grid will now be sent to the audio display.
- Toolbar will now properly disable the Jump To buttons if more than one line is selected. (AMZ)
- Fixed the toolbar "grey area" glitch (was actually a wxWidgets issue). (AMZ)
- Default video zoom can now be set in config.dat and is defaulted to 100%. (AMZ)
- Fixed crash in Translation and Styling assistants, when you attempted to move past end of file, and then play. (AMZ)
- Fixed linked commit of times, so it will only commit both times if the other was changed (to prevent damage when editing multiple lines). (AMZ)
- Fixed some bugs related to inserting overrides via the buttons over the edit box. (AMZ)
- Implemented Redo (and there was much rejoicing). (AMZ)
- Fonts collector will now default collection to same folder as script (Set to "?script" on config.dat). (AMZ)
- Alt+Left/Right on the video seek bar will now seek by increments of 10 frames (increment is customizeable in config.dat). (AMZ)
- Added a simple audio resync method for video playback. (AMZ)
- Audio timing will now apply to all selected lines, as well as active line. (AMZ)
- Added a volume slider bar to audio mode. (AMZ)
- Fixed some internal workings, which should make Aegisub use considerably less RAM (especially for large Karaoke files, 8-10x less RAM usage was measured with a 9 MB file). (AMZ)
- Aegisub will now dump the stack to stack.txt when it crashes with a fatal exception, which might or might not work. (AMZ)
- Audio display in SSA mode will no longer ignore clicks if it wasn't focused (AMZ)
- The font override button in the subtitles edit box can now modify font size, italics, bold and underline as well as font face (no strikeout, as wx does not provide an interface to access that data). (AMZ)
- Now requires Avisynth 2.5.6a or later, added an option ("allow ancient avisynth") to override it to config.dat. (Myrsloik)
- Added reading of keyframe and timecode data from Matroska files (which are still not recommended, due to their dependency on DirectShowSource). (AMZ)
- Added forums and bugtracker to Help menu. (AMZ)
- Fixed Fonts Collector behavior with font shortcuts. (AMZ)
- Better error reporting when loading Automation scripts (jfs)
- Attempting to load a file which does not exist no longer unloads previous subtitles. (AMZ)
- Dragging timecode files into the Aegisub window will now work as expected (instead of attempting to load it as subtitles). (AMZ)
- Middle clicking the video seek bar and audio display will now focus them. (AMZ)
- Search and Replace dialogue made modeless. (Pomyk)
- Fixed bug related to moving elements up and down in File Export dialog. (Pomyk)
- Scrollbar and sliders in audio box can no longer receive focus. (Pomyk)
- Select lines dialog now has an option on how to deal with comment lines. (Pomyk)
- Last folder for all the file selection dialogs are now remembered in config.dat. (Pomyk)
- Audio current play position cursor will now always be visible. (AMZ)
- Removed video frame/subtitles time sync controls from the grid context menu. (AMZ)
- Timeline is now drawn below audio display. (AMZ)
- Dragging the timeline will now scroll audio display. (AMZ)
- Fixed bug which caused extra newlines to be added at the end of file. (AMZ)
- Added a horizontal scrollbar to shift times history. (AMZ)
- Removed the "Help" button from Find/Replace dialog. (AMZ)
- Added a bias slider to the "make times continuous" function in timing post-processor, which sets the point between the subs where the two lines will meet. (AMZ)
- Separated keyframe thresholds on the timing post-processor in start and end. (AMZ)
- Aegisub no longer enjoys littering your temporary files folder with 0 kB files. (AMZ)
- Pre-Rendered Subtitles (PRS) export added. (AMZ)
- Not directly related, but PRS Avisynth filter added to Aegisub SVN tree. (AMZ)
- New languages available:
- Spanish (thanks to NeSuKuN)
- Italian (thanks to EmBoLo)
- Korean (thanks to oblisk)
- Danish (thanks to mulrich and jfs)
- Hungarian (thanks to Yuri)
- Style editor now uses a dropdown for the encoding field, with encoding names taken straight from wingdi.h. (AMZ)
- Added 2.35 and custom aspect ratio support for video display. (AMZ)
- The manual has been extensively re-written and extended to include documentation about a lot of new (and some not so new) features. It's reasonably complete... for the moment. (TheFluff, Motoko-chan, jfs)
- Text edit boxes in the subtitle editing area will now revert to unmodified if you restore the original text. (AMZ)
- Re-arranged the controls in the subtitle editing area. (AMZ)
- Added a text box in subtitle editing area to edit the "Effect" field. (AMZ)
- Right-clicking on the header of the subtitles grid will now bring up a popup menu that allows you to disable columns. (AMZ)
- Saving back to SRT directly (that is, via "save", not "export" or "save as") is now allowed, as long as no data will be lost. (AMZ)
- Aegisub now supports file attachments, which are stored decoded (to save memory) and are not part of the undo stack (for the same reason). Previously, they were simply left ignored in the file as unknown lines. (AMZ)
- Implemented an Attached files list, where you can attach new fonts and graphics, extract them, or remove them from the script file. (AMZ)
- The Font Collector can now collect fonts as script attachments. (AMZ)
- Added recent menu to Video Timecodes. (AMZ)
- Playing in video mode will now play the audio as well even if it hasn't been previously loaded into audio mode (experimental). (AMZ)
- Added hotkey to Audio's "play to end of file" (defaulting to "T"). (AMZ)
- Fixed the default resolution for video display and resolution resampler when the script's field is blank. (AMZ)
- Stopping audio playback will now stop video playback as well. (AMZ)
- Implemented sorting of subtitles by start time. (AMZ)
- Recovered subtitle files are now saved in their own subfolder (customizeable in config.dat). (AMZ)
- Fixed crash with changing font properties via the subtitle edit box when there was a \fs override tag earlier in the line. (AMZ)