This is the version history page for Submerge. You can return to the main page for this software by clicking here.
- Version 3.4.6 (Oct 14, 2017)
- Version 3.4.5 (Oct 7, 2017)
- Version 3.4.4 (Apr 2, 2017)
- Version 2.2.3 (Oct 9, 2014)
- Version 2.2.2 (May 28, 2014)
- Version 2.2.1 (May 8, 2014)
- Version 2.2 (Jan 31, 2014)
- Version 2.1.5 (Dec 5, 2013)
- Version 2.1.4 (Nov 19, 2013)
- Version 2.1.3 (Nov 15, 2013)
- Version 2.1 (Apr 27, 2013)
- Version 2.0.1 (Oct 28, 2012)
- Version 2.0 (Aug 23, 2012)
- Version 1.9.6 (Feb 4, 2011)
- Version 1.9.5 (Feb 3, 2011)
- Version 1.9.4 (Dec 5, 2010)
- Version 1.9.3 (Apr 21, 2010)
- Version 1.9.2 (Apr 15, 2010)
- Version 1.9.1 (Feb 21, 2010)
- Version 1.9 (Feb 11, 2010)
- Version 1.8.4 (Dec 13, 2009)
- Version 1.8.3 (Nov 5, 2009)
- Version 1.8.2 (Oct 6, 2009)
- Version 1.8.1 (Sep 25, 2009)
- Version 1.8 (Sep 10, 2009)
- Version 1.7.2 (May 29, 2009)
- Version 1.7.1 (May 10, 2009)
- Version 1.7 (Apr 24, 2009)
- Version 1.6.2 (Mar 29, 2009)
- Version 1.6.1 (Mar 9, 2009)
- Version 1.6 (Feb 4, 2009)
- Version 1.5.6 (Dec 2, 2008)
- Version 1.5.5 (Oct 7, 2008)
- Version 1.5.4 (Oct 1, 2008)
- Version 1.5.3 (Aug 26, 2008)
- Version 1.5.2 (Aug 20, 2008)
- Version 1.5.1 (Jun 22, 2008)
- Version 1.5 (Apr 28, 2008)
- Version 1.4 (Mar 4, 2008)
- Version 1.3 (Jan 9, 2008)
- Version 1.2.2 (Nov 7, 2007)
- Version 1.2.1 (Oct 31, 2007)
- Version 1.2 (Oct 16, 2007)
- Release Date: Oct 14, 2017
- Release Date: Oct 7, 2017
- Support for HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding or H.265) export compatible with iOS 11, tvOS 11 and macOS High Sierra.
- FFmpeg updated to the 3.3.3 "Hilbert" release.
- The exported file now has the subtitle language code as part of it's file extension. Like mymovie.eng.mov.
- Now supports WebVTT time codes in the 00.00.000 form.
- Various bug fixes and tweaks.
- Release Date: Apr 2, 2017
- ProRes now supports 4K output up to 4096x2160 pixels.
- ProRes will now always pass through audio without conversion.
- Adjusting volume for mp4 and mov files now works again.
- Various bug fixes and tweaks.
- Release Date: Jan 31, 2014
- Various user interface updates.
- Fixed the annoying bug where the last subtitle would stay on screen until the end of the movie.
- Now using AVFoundation for export instead of QuickTime whenever possible.
- Can now find and render subtitle files outside the sandbox using security scoped bookmarks.
- Better support for text formatting in .srt subtitle files.
- Localized in Simplified Chinese by Dr. Lee.
- Release Date: Dec 5, 2013
- Includes an optimized FFMPEG version for all you Mavericks users out there. Huge speed boost!
- The drop shadow for subtitles rendered without a plate is back.
- The text color attribute is now working again.
- Better rendering of sample subtitles in the Preferences window.
- Release Date: Nov 19, 2013
- Fixed a bug that could cause subtitle rendering to halt for malformed html formatting.
- Release Date: Nov 15, 2013
- Added support for rendering bold, italic and underline style tags in .srt files, (whole-line formatting).
- Using a negative Time Offset to sync subtitles now works as expected.
- Now correctly handles srt subtitle lines with an index of 0 (zero).
- Fixed a bug that caused Custom export to fail.
- Fixed a bug that would fail to render the last subtitle in a .srt file.
- Various fixes for 10.9 Mavericks.
- Release Date: Apr 27, 2013
- FFMPEG encoding for super-fast exports.
- Now defaults to FFMPEG encoding. Change in Preferences... if you still want QuickTime.
- PS3 1080p preset.
- Removed the Save to .mov functionality since it didn't actually hard-code the subtitles.
- [BUGFIX] Average fps information for completed exports now more accurate.
- Release Date: Oct 28, 2012
- Retina graphics.
- Subtitle rendering almost twice as fast.
- Toggle the inspector window with cmd+i.
- Support for Mountain Lion Notification center.
- Localization fixes.
- Experimental AVFoundation export. Turn it on in Preferences to try it out.
- Read/Write access to the Movies folder for automatic subtitle inclusion and export (Mac App Store version).
- [BUGFIX] No more "Export failed: You do no have sufficient permissions for this operation" (Mac App Store version).
- Release Date: Aug 23, 2012
- New icon.
- New toolbar.
- New movie inspector.
- New built-in subtitle search feature.
- Now using Universal Detectors to better guess subtitle file encoding.
- Export a movie without subtitles.
- Support for ssa/ass files in the Choose subtitles dialog.
- Now properly shows if a font can be rendered in bold and/or italic.
- Checks if Perian is installed and informs if not.
- Checks if the movie is DRM-protected.
- Support for resuming window states in OS X 10.7 Lion and greater.
- Signed with Developer ID for OS X 10.8 Gatekeeper.
- Localized in Polish by Robert Dyro.
- [BUGFIX] Temporary files are now properly removed when closing a file.
- Release Date: Feb 4, 2011
- Subtitles are now rendering correctly on export.
- Release Date: Feb 3, 2011
- Danish localization by Elias Krause.
- [BUGFIX] Now properly removes temporary rendering files.
- Release Date: Dec 5, 2010
- Added a workaround for the QuickTime bug (rdar://8722256) that would fail to export a file if using the iPhone, iPod, iPad or Apple TV preset running Submerge in Deutsch, Swedish, Finnish or Russian.
- Added a function to wrap lines that would overflow the width of the movie.
- Added a check for corrupted files with zero data size.
- Disabled the avi export component since it doesn't work with subtitle tracks.
- Release Date: Apr 21, 2010
- iPad export preset.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug that could cause Submerge to crash when exporting to some devices.
- Release Date: Apr 15, 2010
- Russian localization by Slavyshensky Alexandr.
- Traditional Chinese localization by Ayee.
- Added a new workaround for the 10.6 bug in iPhone, iPod and Apple TV exporters that could cause a black bar behind the subtitles.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug that could cause Submerge to crash when cancelling a subtitle rendering.
- Release Date: Feb 21, 2010
- Localized in Slovak by Martin Vyrostko.
- [BUGFIX] No longer showing DO NOT LOCALIZE when using the Turbo.264.
- [BUGFIX] Closing a movie that needs to "Save as" now works as expected.
- Release Date: Feb 11, 2010
- New Movie controller.
- New HUD controller.
- New method for localization. Much easier to add new languages.
- Better vertical alignment of subtitles on background plate.
- Set the distance in pixels between subtitle lines in Preferences.
- Removed a performance bottleneck when opening movies. Significantly faster now.
- Removed a lot of 10.4 specific code.
- Growl framework updated to version 1.2.1.
- Sparkle frameworkk updated to version 1.5b6.
- Compiled with Clang LLVM 1.0.2.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when opening and closing several mkv movies.
- Release Date: Dec 13, 2009
- Icons for each export preset.
- [BUGFIX] Applied a fix from Elgato that enables Submerge to use the built-in presets from the Turbo framework.
- [BUGFIX] Subtitle files created by Aegisub will now have linefeeds as expected.
- Release Date: Nov 5, 2009
- PS3 presets now about 4-5 times faster. Uses single pass encoding and a slightly lower bitrate.
- Xbox 360 preset now about twice as fast. Uses single pass encoding and a slightly higher bitrate.
- eSellerate framework updated to version 220.127.116.11.
- Disabled the avi export component since it doesn't work with subtitle tracks.
- Now only loads thread safe export components.
- Release Date: Oct 6, 2009
- Yet another workaround for the "black bar" QuickTime bug in 10.6. This time the Apple TV export should work better.
- Dropped support for 10.4 Tiger. 10.5 Leopard is now the minimum system version required.
- Elgato Turbo.264 HD support is back.
- The Playstation 3 (480p) exporter preset will now use the Turbo.264 HD if available.
- Release Date: Sep 25, 2009
- Found a new clever workaround for the "black bar" QuickTime bug in 10.6. Submerge will now finally be able to benefit from the faster performance of the iPhone, iPod and Apple TV exporters under Snow Leopard.
- Better memory management when rendering subtitles in high resolution movies.
- Window title now shows file name again.
- Release Date: Sep 10, 2009
- Compatibility with Snow Leopard.
- Due to a bug in QuickTime X, Submerge will not use the built-in export components for iPhone, iPod or Apple TV when exporting in 10.6 until the bug is fixed.
- Save and Save as now works from the File menu as in any document based application.
- The Save button has been removed from the toolbar.
- Export flattened has been added to the Export to menu.
- Custom export option in the Export toolbar item.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a couple of potential memory leaks.
- [BUGFIX] Added Windows Media .wmv to the list of possible files to open.
- [BUGFIX] Window name now correctly set from movie metadata.
- Release Date: May 29, 2009
- [BUGFIX] Export operations running in the main thread now works as expected again.
- Release Date: May 10, 2009
- Threaded export re-written for better stability using NSThread instead of ThreadWorker.
- The Save to disk shortcut in the toolbar will now always save and flatten, as this is the behaviour most users expect.
- Purchase Submerge from inside the application using the eSellerate embedded web store.
- Release Date: Apr 24, 2009
- Support for the Elgato Turbo.264 HD. Super speedy re-encoding!
- More exporter presets. Now have built-in presets for iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Cellphone, PSP, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360.
- Release Date: Mar 29, 2009
- German localization by Enrico Richter.
- French localization fixes.
- Release Date: Mar 9, 2009
- [BUGFIX] The application will no longer crash when you try to export a movie that had been exported and cancelled earlier.
- [BUGFIX] Unknown subtitle tracks are now disabled on import.
- Release Date: Feb 4, 2009
- Basic support for SubStation Alpha subtitles. SSA v4 (.ssa) & SSA v4+ (.ass).
- Support for modern audio export features intruduced in QuickTime 7.
- [BUGFIX] .srt files starting with a negative subtitle index are now handled correctly.
- [BUGFIX] Toolbar and menu items are now disabled until the movie is fully loaded.
- Release Date: Dec 2, 2008
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug that would cause subtitles not to render properly if the subtitle file contained a negative time value, ie a subtitle ending before it started.
- [BUGFIX] .srt files starting with a subtitle index of 0 (zero) are now handled correctly.
- Release Date: Oct 7, 2008
- [BUGFIX] Aperture mode was not working and has been removed.
- Release Date: Oct 1, 2008
- Time offset adjustment is superfast and you will see your changes immediately.
- Aperture mode is now working correctly for movies with non square pixels.
- Document icons for various formats like avi and mp4 and so on.
- [BUGFIX] Time offset controls gets enabled only after rendering the subtitles first.
- [BUGFIX] Offsetting subtitles using a negative time offset now works as expected.
- Release Date: Aug 26, 2008
- The movie can now be scaled to half it's normal size using the main menu or the keyboard shortcut cmd-0.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug that would cause Submerge to crash when trying to save a movie with corrupted data. The error is now reported correctly.
- Release Date: Aug 20, 2008
- Better framerate calculation for MicroDVD subtitle files.
- Better handling of malformed subtitle lines.
- [BUGFIX] .sub files can now be dragged and dropped to the main window.
- Release Date: Jun 22, 2008
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a movie aspect ratio bug caused by QuickTime 7.5.
- Release Date: Apr 28, 2008
- Portuguese (Brazilian) localization by Fabio Roselet.
- Greek localization by Evripidis Argyropoulos.
- [BUGFIX] Export to iPod in the toolbar now works as expected.
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug that could cause some subtitle files not to render properly
- Release Date: Mar 4, 2008
- Dutch localization by Lex van der Helm.
- Localization updates and fixes for the Italian, French and Finnish languages.
- Decreased the vertical space between subtitle lines to save valuable screen space.
- Subtitles without a plate are now rendered with a subtle outline and a stronger drop shadow for better visibility.
- Extra vertical offset now defaults to 5%.
- Time Offset can now be entered directly in the text field from the keyboard.
- Support for Matroska files with the .mkv file extension (Perian needs to be installed).
- [BUGFIX] You can now switch back and forth between different aspect ratios without ending up in a bad format.
- [BUGFIX] You can now select xlarge as the default relative subtitle size in preferences.
- [BUGFIX] Empty subtitle lines no longer makes subtitle rendering to fail.
- Release Date: Jan 9, 2008
- Support for the Elgato Turbo.264 (version 1.2 needed). Just plug it in and export using the toolbar shortcuts or Export... in the File menu.
- All settings from Export... are now saved between sessions.
- Better handling of filename conflicts when exporting using the toolbar shortcuts.
- Progress sheet now shows encoding speed in frames/second.
- File extension is now correctly handled when using File -> Export...
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug which could cause the progress sheet not to close when saving.
- Release Date: Nov 7, 2007
- Spanish localization.
- [BUGFIX] Squashed an ugly bug that would cause the app to crash after saving a movie.
- Release Date: Oct 31, 2007
- Added an Xtra Large subtitle size to make text more readable on the video capable iPod nano.
- Added support to force a 3:2 aspect ratio as seen on the iPod touch and the iPhone.
- Added Drag and Drop support for subtitle files to the main window.
- Interface tweaks on the movie controller.
- [BUGFIX] Saving as a reference movie no longer sets the application in an infinite loop.
- Release Date: Oct 16, 2007
- Growl nofication support. Get notified on Render Complete, Save and Export.
- Export to iPhone toolbar shortcut.
- Interface tweaks.
- Leopard compatibility.
- Information about time remaining in the progress sheet.
- Better handling of write failures.
- Crash Log handling and reporting.
- [BUGFIX] Not able to render subtitles in a new empty movie anymore.
- [BUGFIX] Export to iPhone, iPod and Apple TV are now disabled until the movie has been saved.