This is the version history page for PopCorn MKV AudioConverter. You can return to the main page for this software by clicking here.
- Version 1.88.03 (Aug 1, 2018)
- Version 1.88.02 (Jul 9, 2018)
- Version 1.88.01 (Jan 21, 2018)
- Version 1.88 (Dec 24, 2017)
- Version 1.87.77 (Dec 28, 2016)
- Version 1.87.76 (Jan 10, 2016)
- Version 1.87.75 (Sep 28, 2015)
- Version 1.87.73 (May 26, 2013)
- Version 1.87.71 (Mar 17, 2013)
- Version 1.87.7 (Mar 4, 2013)
- Version 1.87.6 (Dec 4, 2012)
- Version 1.87.4 (Aug 24, 2012)
- Version 1.87.3 (Jul 21, 2012)
- Version 1.87.2 (Apr 16, 2012)
- Version 1.87.1 (Apr 14, 2012)
- Version 1.87.0 (Apr 7, 2012)
- Version 1.86.0 (Mar 5, 2012)
- Version 1.85.1 (Jan 8, 2012)
- Version 1.85.0 (Dec 25, 2011)
- Version 1.84.0 (Feb 6, 2011)
- Version 1.83.4 (Jan 1, 2011)
- Version 1.83.3 (Dec 30, 2010)
- Version 1.83.2 (Oct 23, 2010)
- Version 1.83.1 (Oct 4, 2010)
- Version 1.83.0 (Sep 20, 2010)
- Version 1.82.12 (Sep 8, 2010)
- Version 1.82.11 (Aug 24, 2010)
- Version 1.82.10 (Aug 9, 2010)
- Version 1.82.9 (Aug 7, 2010)
- Version 1.82.8 (Aug 6, 2010)
- Version 1.82.7 (Aug 5, 2010)
- Version 1.82.5 (Jul 27, 2010)
- Version 1.82.4 (Jul 13, 2010)
- Version 1.82.3 (May 24, 2010)
- Version 1.82.2 (May 10, 2010)
- Version 1.82.1 (Apr 25, 2010)
- Version 1.82.0 (Apr 11, 2010)
- Version 1.81.4 (Apr 1, 2010)
- Version 1.81.2 (Feb 27, 2010)
- Version 1.81 (Feb 6, 2010)
- Version 1.80 (Dec 27, 2009)
- Version 1.79.5 (Nov 25, 2009)
- Version 1.79.3 (Oct 31, 2009)
- Version 1.79.1 (Oct 2, 2009)
- Version 1.79.0 (Sep 14, 2009)
- Version 1.78.5 (Sep 13, 2009)
- Version 1.78.4 (Sep 12, 2009)
- Version 1.78.3 (Sep 9, 2009)
- Version 1.78.2 (Sep 9, 2009)
- Version 1.78.1 (Sep 6, 2009)
- Version 1.78.0 (Sep 3, 2009)
- Version 1.77.2 (Aug 26, 2009)
- Version 1.77.0 (Aug 22, 2009)
- Version 1.76.4 (Jun 14, 2009)
- Version 1.76.3 (Jun 3, 2009)
- Version 1.76.2 (Jun 2, 2009)
- Version 1.76.1 (May 26, 2009)
- Version 1.76.0 (May 25, 2009)
- Version 1.75.5 (May 21, 2009)
- Version 1.75.4 (May 19, 2009)
- Version 1.75.3 (May 14, 2009)
- Version 1.75.2 (May 3, 2009)
- Version 1.75.1 (May 3, 2009)
- Version 1.75.0 (Apr 21, 2009)
- Version 1.71 (Aug 24, 2008)
- Version 1.70 (Jul 18, 2008)
- Version 1.62.4 (Jun 8, 2008)
- Release Date: Aug 1, 2018
- Stereo downmix AAC -> AC3: Didn't instruct eac3to to downmix multi-channel to stereo.
- Stereo downmix Simple Audio Conversion: Misspelled -DownDpl switch of eac3to as -DownEpl which meant that eac3to didn't understand what I was trying to tell it.
- Release Date: Jul 9, 2018
- FLAC conversion: Conversion of FLAC audio tracks didn't work (wrong track number sent to eac3to utility) - fixed.
- MKV Tools: Updated parser to handle changed output from MKV Tools v24 (and possibly earlier versions with changed output as well)
- Release Date: Jan 21, 2018
- Quick Conversion tool: Conversion of DTS audio tracks didn't work - fixed.
- Quick Conversion tool: Several new conversion options (hold mouse over the various options to see popup tool tip with explanation of the option)
- Release Date: Dec 24, 2017
- Quick Conversion tool: There is now a quick conversion tool available for conversion of some specific audio formats (Dolby Digital Plus/E-AC3, TrueHD and DTS) to FLAC/AC3/AAC format. See this post for details. This function requires (has only been tested with) at least v3.34 of eac3to to work.
- Release Date: Dec 28, 2016
- H265/HEVC support: Fixed: MKV files containing H265/HEVC video track can now be converted (previus version gave Unsupported Video Codec: V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC error).
- Release Date: Jan 10, 2016
- Volume adjustment: Fixed: If one of the channels (the LFE/Sub-Woofer channel, f.ex.) didn't contain any data (was silent) for the entire file, AudioConverter would be unable to apply volume adjustment.
- Release Date: Sep 28, 2015
- DTS-HD: Fixed: Better handling of DTS-HD audio format with more than 5.1 channels
- Release Date: May 26, 2013
- AAC/SBR: Fixed: A change in the way that the MKV tools report an AAC/SBR audio track lead to AudioConverter not recognizing a track as such.
- Release Date: Mar 17, 2013
- Temp directory: Performing an extraction across a date boundary would lead to AudioConverter not being able to find extracted file(s), due to adding date specification to specified temporary directory location (this makes it possible for AudioConverter to automatically clean up old temporary files, if any are left over by accident).
- Release Date: Mar 4, 2013
- Temp directory: Specifying "same as source" or "same as target" when the file specified there doesn't exist would result in an infinite loop, ending in a crash.
- TrueHD conversion: Selecting "Convert to Dolby Digital" would not allow you to specify how the conversion should be done. Fixed.
- Build events: Explanatory text now given for the two build events.
- Release Date: Dec 4, 2012
- Explorer Context Menu: New button to create a "Convert Audio Tracks" Explorer Context menu for .MKV files. Side effect if this is also that "Open With"->"AudioConverter" should now work.
- Release Date: Aug 24, 2012
- AAC/SBR conversion was broken after the great Matroska Track Number mess. Fixed.
- Release Date: Jul 21, 2012
- exFAT drives no longer considered as FAT32 drives (with regards to max file size being 4 Gb).
- Release Date: Apr 16, 2012
- Drag'n'Drop adjusted to be more useful.
- French (and other languages) now supported for MkvMerge configuration (AudioConverter overrides regional settings and instructs the tools to output in English when run from within AudioConverter.
- Release Date: Apr 14, 2012
- Drag'n'Drop completely rewritten to be more useful.
"Use setting from DTS tab" now implemented on the VORBIS, AAC and FLAC tabs.
- Release Date: Apr 7, 2012
- MKV Tools v5.30 now included in tools package.
- Header Compression would be ON for preserved DTS tracks. Fixed.
- Release Date: Mar 5, 2012
- MKV Tools later than v5.21 (ie. v5.30 and on) are now supported.
- New option. Options->Cut Sample now extracts a 5 min sample from a file that is at least 12 min long. Use this to extract a simple file when I ask you to do so and verify that the problem you are having is reproducible on this sample. Then you can forward this sample to me so that I can investigate further.
- Release Date: Jan 8, 2012
- MKV Tools up to (and including the "fixed") v5.21 is now supported. Please note, that the support for v5.21 and on is experimental and I haven't been able to test all combinations of audio tracks and conversions, so if you are using any of the newer versions of MKV Tools, you should beware that it may produce incorrect output. Use at your own risk. If you encouter re-muxing problem (ie. tracks that disappear or wrong tracks processed/converted/copied to output file) and you are using MKV Tools v5.21 or later, please report your problems in the support forum: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=20887. REMEMBER to have a small sample file ready that reproduces the problem. If you do not, all I'll do is ask for it.
- Alternate output file name. Specifying an alternate output file name using the internal file selector didn't work (it always used the original file's file name). Fixed.
- Release Date: Dec 25, 2011
- MKV Tools up to (and including the buggy) v5.2 is now supported. Please note, that there is a confirmed bug in v5.2.0 that I have tried to work around, but if you are using this version you should beware that it may produce incorrect output. Use at your own risk.
- Dolby TrueHD can now be converted to either Dolby Digital or FLAC format. Please note, that this conversion requires at least eac3to version 3.24 and if you attempt to enable it (on the TrueHD conversion tab) and don't have the program pointing to a compatible version, you'll be warned about it and given the option to reconsider your ill-advised attempt. You can try to use the menu Options->Download external utilities to download the updated utility pack (containing MKV Merge 5.0 and eac3to 3.24), or you can download the utility manually.
- Unattended mode has a new command line option: [/TrueHD-] which disables conversion of Dolby TrueHD tracks.
- Directory Prompt now has an additional button that can scan for files containing Dolby TrueHD tracks.
- Uninstall now possible using the File->Clear Setup menu option (it deletes the registry information for the program and terminates - it doesn't delete the program itself). Can be used to reset the settings back to "factory defaults".
- Release Date: Feb 6, 2011
- E-AC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) tracks can now be down-converted to ordinary AC3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) tracks via the "Re-sample AC3 audio tracks" menu option.
- Release Date: Jan 1, 2011
- File Names with "(" or ")" in them should now be processed correctly by the file parser.
- Release Date: Dec 30, 2010
- FLAC 6.1 and 7.1 audio tracks can now be converted as well (downmixed to 5.1).
- Release Date: Oct 23, 2010
- Unattended mode can now specify /S on the command line to scan sub dirs as well (will also select "Retain dir structure").
- Unattended mode fixed to circumvent various prompts that could be displayed during the conversion process
- Release Date: Oct 4, 2010
- S_TEXT/SSA (and other S_TEXT subtitle types) now supported (as in "doesn't prevent conversion").
- Release Date: Sep 20, 2010
- Convert frame-rate completely re-written. Now utilizes eac3to's ability to read audio tracks directly from .MKV files and to convert multiple audio tracks in one go. Also support for converting frame rate of PGS (Blu-Ray) subtitles via external program BDSup2Sub, defined on the new Subtitle Tools tab of the main program. You can also choose to have the conversion steps saved in a batch file or executed right away, and you have the option of selecting which tracks will be converted (and thus be present in the final file) via the "Advanced" button.
- Release Date: Sep 8, 2010
- PopCorn MKV ReMuxer: Now informs a running PopCorn MKV ReMuxer every time a file has been converted so that ReMuxer can import that file, ready for ReMuxing.
- Release Date: Aug 24, 2010
- HideFileExt: Attempts to read this value on environments where it wasn't defined (read: MAC) would produce error. Now tests to see if the value exists before attempting to read it.
- Write Access denied: When attempting to convert a file saved to desktop in non-English Windows Vista/Win7 would result in faulty detection of writability for the directory. Fixed.
- Release Date: Aug 9, 2010
- Directory Mode: Scanning sub directories didn't work - now fixed. Also, if scanning doesn't find any valid .MKV files, you are now told so instead of just exiting without any feedback.
- Release Date: Aug 7, 2010
- Auto-Update: An error was introduced in the auto-update code which prevented download ("CRC error on download"). This should now be fixed (once you have manually downloaded v1.82.9)
- Release Date: Aug 6, 2010
- Re-Sample AC3 Audio: Previous versions would only transfer one subtitle track to output file. Now properly transfers all subtitle tracks to output file.
- Header Compression: Re-Sample AC3 Audio and Convert Frame-Rate options in the "File" menu now obey the "Header Compression" check box as well.
- Release Date: Aug 5, 2010
- Header Compression: This check box now also controls if header compression is active on video tracks as well as audio tracks. PopCorn Hour NMTs have no problems with files with Header Compression enabled, but some other devices and most TVs can't cope with this, so make sure to disable this option if your file doesn't play back after conversion.
- 1.82.6: Error reporting: In case of "Skipping conversion - none of the audio tracks can be converted or the conversion has been disabled" message, AudioConverter now attempts to explain why it won't convert the various audio tracks in the file (ie. AC3 tracks cannot be converted, only SBR-format Stereo AAC tracks can be converted, etc.)
- Release Date: Jul 27, 2010
- Debug logging: If you press Ctrl while clicking the "Run" button you'll get a log of the commands executed at the completion of the conversion. If you press Ctrl+Shift, you'll also get the programs' output in the log. If you press Ctrl+Shift+Alt, you'll get complete debug output of the process. Hopefully this can help people locate some problems, or if not, they can probably help me when finding out what's going on.
- Release Date: Jul 13, 2010
- Header Compression: New option to combat MKV Merge's change of default compression for video and audio headers.
- Release Date: May 24, 2010
- Directory Mode + Prompt + DTS now also select files with DTS tracks if "Remove Track" selected on DTS tab.
- "Remove Track" on DTS tab was broken due to earlier improvements. Should now be working again.
- Release Date: May 10, 2010
- Defensive coding to try to eliminate the elusive "Access Denied".
- Better error handling when using "Extract support information"
- Release Date: Apr 25, 2010
- Conversion of low-sample-rate AAC/SBR audio tracks now possible without getting "Skipping conversion" error
- Release Date: Apr 11, 2010
- Extract Support Information in the Help menu allows you to extract important information to be used in any support case directly from within AudioConverter.
- Open Support Case in the same menu allows me to allow you to initiate a priority support case with direct communication via AudioConverter program. To do this, I need:
- Show my License Key shows you your unique license key which I need in order to enable you to file support cases via the "Open Support Case" menu item. This value is simply a GUID (Globally Unique IDentifier) that I generate if it hasn't already been done so. I cannot use this to track who you are or anything - it is a completely anonymous way for me to identify the various users of my program.
- Release Date: Apr 1, 2010
- DTS-to-AC3 in Directory+Prompt mode now possible to not convert MKV files with noth DTS and AC3 tracks (presumably because it has already been converted).
- Options->Verbose Logging setting now possible to give extended log information in bottom window on completion of conversion.
- Release Date: Feb 27, 2010
- Downmix to Stereo option now available in the File->Resample AC3 audio tracks
- Maximize volume across all channels setting now remembered and restored between sessions
- Language problems with external MKVINFO (resulting in "Video Track not found" errors) should now be solved.
If you get an error from MKVINFO on startup or when trying to convert, try updating to the latest version before reporting it as an error...
- Release Date: Feb 6, 2010
- Volume Normalization of a converted DTS-to-AC3 track is now possible for better playback on those TVs that have a bad dowmix from 6ch to 2ch
- Release Date: Dec 27, 2009
- Volume Adjustment to individual channels in 6ch DTS-to-AC3 conversion is now possible.
- Release Date: Nov 25, 2009
- Download external utilities now possible in both .ZIP and .EXE editions, thanks to user AdelphiA putting up server space and bandwidth.
- FLAC conversion could result in "Required file 2.ac3 missing" if a too old version of eac3to was found and used (the old version returned without setting an Error Level, so AudioConverter thought the conversion went fine until it discovered that the expected output file didn't exist). AudioConverter now tests for the version of eac3to in this case and refuses to run with anything less than v3.15 (the version in the tools package) if converting from FLAC to AC3/DTS.
- Release Date: Oct 31, 2009
- Convert FrameRate fix (now takes decoder library from the DTS decoding tab)
- Convert FrameRate now allows 640kbit to be used for 5.1-channel DTS-to-AC3 conversion
- 1,79.2: Post Events maintenance release
- Release Date: Oct 2, 2009
- Post Events (Job/Batch) now available. Can run any file or play any sound file at the end of each job and/or at the end of a batch run.
- Exception Handling improved to catch errors encountered in MediaInfo.
- eac3to couldn't be specified if only AAC 5.1 conversion was enabled.
- Release Date: Sep 14, 2009
- Long-time elusive bug that could cause AudioConverter to hang in an infinite loop upon startup has now (hopefully) been squashed, thanks to the investigation by forum user boddy.
- Release Date: Sep 13, 2009
- Convert FrameRate should now work with multi-channel OGG audio tracks and with ASS subtitles as well (Untested - don't have a file to test either of these with)
- Release Date: Sep 12, 2009
- Convert FrameRate can now convert DTS tracks directly to AC3 (or preserve it as DTS if you have purchased Surcode DTS Encoder) while adjusting framerate.
- Convert FrameRate can now convert OGG tracks as well, either to AC3 or preserve it as OGG (if you have the OGG Encoder in the same directory as you have the OGG Decoder).
- Release Date: Sep 9, 2009
- Test version to try and fix the problem described in Post #334.
- Release Date: Sep 9, 2009
- OGG/VORBIS MultiChannel can now be converted to AC3 MultiChannel via the VORBIS tab. Only 6-channel (5.1) OGG/VORBIS audio tracks can be converted (as well as Stereo/Mono OGG). If someone has a multi-channel-but-not-5.1-OGG-soundtrack please PM me so that I can try to make conversion for this as well.
- Release Date: Sep 6, 2009
- Unattended mode now has the command line: AudioConverter RUN <SourceDir> <TargetDir> [<DoneDir>] [/DTS-] [/OGG-] [/ACC-] [/VERIFY-] [/ANIMATE-]:
<DoneDir> specifies a directory to which the converted files (the originals) are moved after being converted. If on the same drive they are simply moved. If on a different drive, the file is first copied, and if the operating system says "yes, it was copied", then the copy is verified to be identical to the original before the original is deleted. If any detectable errors (such as "Out of disk space", "Drive not ready", "Read error", etc.) occurs during the copying, the whole program halts with an error message.
/VERIFY- disables this additional verification step and the source file is simply deleted after being copied to the <DoneDir>.
/ANIMATE- disables mouse animations during AutoRun
- Release Date: Sep 3, 2009
- Unattended mode can now be run from command line: AudioConverter RUN [/DTS-] [/OGG-] [/ACC-]. See Post #313 for details.
- Release Date: Aug 26, 2009
- Conversion of FLAC audio can now selectively be turned on/off for Mono/Stereo and Multi-Channel FLAC sources.
- Conversion of FLAC audio with 3-5 channels are not possible with eac3to, so these tracks are ignored.
- Release Date: Aug 22, 2009
- FLAC audio can now be converted (both Multi-Channel and Stereo)
- When selecting a new source file, the target file specification will be updated with the same file name, preserving the output directory.
- Release Date: Jun 14, 2009
- V_MPEG2 now added to recognized video encodings
- Release Date: Jun 3, 2009
- Better visual feedback of problems in Re-sample and Convert FrameRate
- Release Date: Jun 2, 2009
- BitRate list in Re-sample AC3 Audio Tracks could become empty - now fixed.
- Release Date: May 26, 2009
- Double-double-quoting file names - now fixed.
- Release Date: May 25, 2009
- Now handles non-6ch DTS tracks as well via an intermediary .WAV file and by using Aften encoder
- Release Date: May 21, 2009
- AVI-Mux GUI produced .MKV files incompatible with AudioConverter - This has now been fixed
- Release Date: May 19, 2009
- VORBIS tab sheet now visible by default - All tab sheets can be disabled using /DTS-, /OGG- or /AAC-, respectively, on the command line.
- Program now flashes an error message trying to explain why it won't allow you to run the conversion
- Release Date: May 14, 2009
- Now properly handles 23.976fps-to-25fps conversions - Rounding error fixed.
- Release Date: May 3, 2009
- Now handles S_HDMV/PGS subtitle tracks (no processing is done - they are simply copied over to the new file).
- Release Date: May 3, 2009
- Now detects (and rejects) non-6ch DTS tracks (since eac3to can't handle them)
- Now detects even more invalid characters in file names/paths and warns about them
- Started incorporating the "Set DTS track as default track", but haven't finished it yet (it requires a major rewrite of the code that generates the command line to MKVMerge)
- Removed the options to convert OGG/VORBIS tracks (can for a limited time be re-enabled using /OGG command line switch)
- Release Date: Apr 21, 2009
- File->Re-sample AC3 audio tracks
Allows re-sampling of AC3 audio tracks to a lower (or higher Smile) bitrate for use on devices that can't handle 640kbit AC3 audio streams as used on BluRay.
- Support for intermediate .WAV files > 4 Gb
(-readtoeof switch in Aften)
- Release Date: Aug 24, 2008
- Release Date: Jul 18, 2008
- Release Date: Jun 8, 2008