This is the version history page for Plex Media Server. You can return to the main page for this software by clicking here.
- Version 18.104.22.16895 (Sep 25, 2018)
- Version 22.214.171.12432 (Aug 27, 2018)
- Version 126.96.36.19991 (Aug 3, 2018)
- Version 188.8.131.5271 (Jul 20, 2018)
- Version 184.108.40.20654 (Jun 10, 2018)
- Version 220.127.116.1142 (Jun 8, 2018)
- Version 18.104.22.16823 (May 9, 2018)
- Version 22.214.171.12473 (Apr 20, 2018)
- Version 126.96.36.19929 (Apr 11, 2018)
- Version 188.8.131.5285 (Mar 23, 2018)
- Version 184.108.40.20629 (Mar 8, 2018)
- Version 220.127.116.1103 (Feb 20, 2018)
- Version 18.104.22.16802 (Dec 14, 2017)
- Version 22.214.171.12423 (Dec 7, 2017)
- Version 126.96.36.19960 (Nov 25, 2017)
- Version 1.9.6 (Nov 10, 2017)
- Version 1.9.4 (Oct 14, 2017)
- Version 1.9.2 (Sep 26, 2017)
- Version 1.9.1 (Sep 21, 2017)
- Version 1.8.4 (Sep 9, 2017)
- Version 1.8.1 (Aug 25, 2017)
- Version 1.5.7 (Jun 24, 2017)
- Version 1.5.6 (May 12, 2017)
- Version 1.5.5 (Apr 15, 2017)
- Version 1.5.4 (Apr 13, 2017)
- Version 1.5.3 (Apr 5, 2017)
- Version 1.4.4 (Mar 17, 2017)
- Version 1.4.3 (Mar 3, 2017)
- Version 1.3.4 (Feb 3, 2017)
- Version 1.3.2 (Dec 10, 2016)
- Version 1.2.7 (Nov 24, 2016)
- Version 1.2.6 (Nov 6, 2016)
- Version 1.1.4 (Sep 14, 2016)
- Version 1.1.3 (Sep 1, 2016)
- Version 1.0.3 (Jul 30, 2016)
- Version 1.0.2 (Jul 23, 2016)
- Version 1.0.0 (Jul 15, 2016)
- Version 0.9.16.6 (Jun 11, 2016)
- Version 0.9.16.4 (Apr 8, 2016)
- Version 0.9.16.3 (Mar 22, 2016)
- Version 0.9.16.2 (Mar 19, 2016)
- Version 0.9.15.6 (Mar 1, 2016)
- Version 9.15.4 (Feb 18, 2016)
- Version 0.9.14.6 (Dec 24, 2015)
- Version 0.9.12.19 (Nov 7, 2015)
- Version 0.9.12.18 (Oct 31, 2015)
- Version 0.9.12.13 (Oct 8, 2015)
- Version 0.9.12.12 (Sep 12, 2015)
- Version 0.9.12.8 (Aug 19, 2015)
- Version 0.9.12.4 (Jun 24, 2015)
- Version 0.9.12.3 (Jun 5, 2015)
- Version 0.9.12.1 (May 5, 2015)
- Version 0.9.12.0 (May 1, 2015)
- Version 0.9.11.16 (Mar 30, 2015)
- Version 0.9.11.7 (Feb 27, 2015)
- Version 0.9.11.4 (Nov 22, 2014)
- Version 0.9.9.14 (Oct 12, 2014)
- Version 0.9.9.7 (Mar 14, 2014)
- Version 0.9.9.5 (Feb 26, 2014)
- Version 0.9.8.18 (Dec 28, 2013)
- Version 0.9.8.17 (Dec 19, 2013)
- Version 0.9.8.14 (Dec 11, 2013)
- Version 0.9.8.10 (Oct 29, 2013)
- Version 0.9.8.6 (Sep 7, 2013)
- Version 0.9.8.5 (Aug 30, 2013)
- Version 0.9.8.4 (Aug 14, 2013)
- Version 0.9.8 (Jun 11, 2013)
- Version 0.9.7.19 (Apr 1, 2013)
- Version 0.9.7.17 (Mar 14, 2013)
- Version 0.9.7.12 (Feb 7, 2013)
- Version 0.9.7.11 (Jan 15, 2013)
- Version 0.9.7.9 (Jan 4, 2013)
- Version 0.9.7.7 (Dec 5, 2012)
- Version 0.9.6.9 (Sep 12, 2012)
- Version 0.9.6.8 (Aug 30, 2012)
- Version 0.9.6.6 (Aug 1, 2012)
- Version 0.9.6.5 (Jul 4, 2012)
- Version 0.9.6.4 (Jun 20, 2012)
- Version 0.9.6.3 (Jun 6, 2012)
- Version 0.9.5.3 (May 19, 2012)
- Version 0.9.5.2 (Nov 29, 2011)
- Version 0.9.3.4 (Jul 28, 2011)
- Version 0.9.2.7 (Apr 14, 2011)
- Version 0.9.2.6 (Mar 29, 2011)
- Version 0.9.2.5 (Mar 22, 2011)
- Version 0.9.2.3 (Mar 18, 2011)
- Version 0.9.1.13 (Dec 19, 2010)
- Version 0.9.1.9 (Dec 12, 2010)
- Version 0.9.1.2 (Nov 26, 2010)
- Version 0.9.1.1 (Oct 29, 2010)
- Version 0.9.1 (Oct 24, 2010)
- Version 0.9.10.0 (Oct 24, 2010)
- Version 0.9.0.21 ever-hotter-fixer (Sep 28, 2010)
- Version 0.9.0.21 Hotfix (Sep 25, 2010)
- Version 0.9.0.21 (Aug 31, 2010)
- Version 0.8.5 (Nov 20, 2009)
- Version 0.8.3 (Oct 27, 2009)
- Version 0.8.2 (Aug 11, 2009)
- Version 0.8.1 (May 24, 2009)
- Version 0.8.0 (May 12, 2009)
- Version 0.7.15 beta (Apr 24, 2009)
- Version 0.7.14 beta (Apr 8, 2009)
- Version 0.7.13 beta (Mar 11, 2009)
- Version 0.7.12 beta (Mar 4, 2009)
- Version 0.7.11 beta (Mar 3, 2009)
- Version 0.7.10 beta (Feb 27, 2009)
- Version 0.7.9 beta (Feb 25, 2009)
- Version 0.7.8 beta (Feb 22, 2009)
- Version 0.7.7 beta (Feb 8, 2009)
- Version 0.7.6 (Feb 6, 2009)
- Version 0.7.5 (Dec 28, 2008)
- Version 0.5.22 (Oct 31, 2008)
- Release Date: Sep 25, 2018
- (Live TV) If a tuner stops sending data or disconnects mid-stream, attempt to reconnect (#8989)
- (Web) Updated to 3.67.1
- Added tuner icons for HDHomeRun CONNECT Quatro and CONNECT Duo (#9029)
- (DVR) Avoid rare crash involving updating status from HDHomeRun tuners (#9045)
- (DVR) Modifying start/end time of in-progress recording will now correctly adjust the duration. (#7247)
- (Library) Playlists generated from custom filters would sometimes not show the correct items (#8017)
- (Sync) Smart playlists would not sync if all items were already synced (#7329)
- Fix for duplicate EventSource event processing that may have affected remote access availability. (#8853)
- Release Date: Aug 3, 2018
- (Streaming Brain) Added preference to treat WAN IP Address as on the LAN for bandwidth Limits (#8037)
- (Transcoder) Support 4K hardware decoding on macOS (#8806)
- (Web) Updated to 3.57.1
- (DVR) Support network tuner icons (#7552)
- (DVR) Users that no longer have a Plex Pass should no longer have access to the Recording Schedule and Guide (#8672)
- Allow picking a specific network address to bind to (#8492)
- Seek thumbnail timestamps could be off by a few seconds (#2569)
- Split Live TV quick links into two hubs.
- When remote access is disabled, don’t publish non-private addresses (#8751)
- Release Date: Jul 20, 2018
- (Synology) prevent 32-bit version from being installed on 64-bit NAS models (#8851)
- Release Date: Jun 10, 2018
- Release Date: Jun 8, 2018
- (Analysis) Channel layouts could be reported incorrectly for some DTS streams (#8549)
- (Transcoder) Conversion of remote content could fail on some x86_64 Linux systems (#8662)
- (Metadata) Missing artwork for some TV shows (#8473)
- Database backups could fail if the database contained certain sets of strings (#8655)
- Punctuation and non-ASCII strings sorted incorrectly in some cases (#8668)
- N.B. This will be released on Nvidia shield in the coming days.
- Release Date: May 9, 2018
- (Transcoder) Media with EAC3 audio could fail to transcode in some cases on Windows. (#8547)
- Release Date: Apr 20, 2018
- (DVR) Keep airings in US primetime from disappearing from the schedule on each refresh (#8448)
- Release Date: Apr 11, 2018
- (DVR) HTTP request cache should properly check for file expiration when requesting celeb/series data. (#8405)
- (DVR) Recordings that fail due to permissions issues shouldn't disappear from the schedule after a server restart (#8020)
- (DVR) Shows shouldn't disappear from the Program Guide for shared users if they're not shared certain library types (#8100)
- Plugged memory leak with starting and stopping jobs on Windows (#7618)
- Release Date: Mar 23, 2018
- (Movies) Improve matching with filenames containing recent things like "UHD".
- (Photos) New "Folder" sort type for photo libraries - will sort by name but keep folders and photo items separate.
- (Playback) Don't select teletext streams as subtitles automatically (#7739)
- (Web) Updated to 3.39.5
- Season premieres show up in On Deck even when they're outside the window (#8229)
- (Library) Library scans subsequent to first would not attempt to match unmatched items (#8282)
- (Photos) Filters with greater-than or less-than filters would not work properly on some libraries (#8258)
- (Photos) The "Name" sort for photo libraries was returning the incorrect parameters (#8165)
- (Type First) Fix TV Shows library hub ordering (#8260)
- (Windows) Files could fail to be deleted due to child processes inheriting duplicate handles (#7830)
- The server could become unresponsive in certain complex scenarios (#8220)
- Release Date: Mar 8, 2018
- (Analysis) Detect ATSC closed captions in video files (#7110)
- (Analysis) Distinguish HEVC codec tags to work around iOS platform limitation (#7882)
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.37.2
- (Companion) Resolve a rare crash
- (Hubs) "On Deck" and "Continue Watching" could appear empty when the "Weeks to Consider for On Deck" preference was set (#7305)
- (Photos) Re-scanning a photo section which had a significant amount of files renamed could lead to database lockups (#7653)
- (Photos) The folder structure in the photos view could sometimes become flattened (#8206)
- (Transcoder) The server could become unresponsive when playing via DASH (#8166)
- Avoid generating invalid XML when media contains invalid metadata (#8192).
- Certain ID3 tags in audio files resulted in titles with trailing "///" characters (#6577)
- Collections could appear in grid even when disabled in library (#8103)
- Fix an issue where loudness analysis was performed simultaneously on the same library (#8021)
- Fix loudness analysis on libraries taking up large amounts of memory (#8071)
- Release Date: Feb 20, 2018
- (Photos) Show recently favorited items in discovery hub (#8101)
- (DVR) Back-to-back recordings would sometimes lose the second recording (#8168)
- (DVR) Cancelling a recording when comskip is enabled shouldn't result in an error (#7926)
- (DVR) Episodes of the same show that air on the same day now record correctly (#6668)
- (DVR) Parsing of dates in EyeQ data could potentially fail if format changed (#8209)
- (Filters) Dates before Jan 1st 1970 would not work properly in some filter fields (#8077)
- (LiveTV) Crash when stopping LiveTV (#8169)
- (Photos) Autotagging for some items could become stuck in a throttled state (#8068)
- (Photos) Changes to EXIF date fields edited in certain applications would not get picked up correctly (#8125)
- (Photos) Photo albums in folder view will now show thumbs for Posters and Backgrounds when editing and will correctly retain changes between scans (#7947)
- (Photos) Show video items in Recently Added hub for photo sections (#8101)
- (Photos) Timeline entries before Jan 1 1970 would not be displayed consistently (#8152)
- (Streaming Brain) Could deadlock in certain circumstances when ABR was in use (#8124)
- (Transcoder) Playback could fail or behave erratically near the end of videos when Direct Streaming to certain clients (#8042)
- (Transcoder) Soft subtitles could sometimes fail to play on iOS/tvOS (#8022)
- Release Date: Dec 14, 2017
Plex Media Server 188.8.131.5202 is now available to everyone
(Photos) The timeline view could become inconsistent when dates are altered on items in the section (#7955)
Plex Media Server 184.108.40.20661 is now available to Plex Pass users in the Beta update channel
(Codecs) Previously downloaded codecs were not always automatically downloaded at server upgrade time (#7643)
(DVR) Add some extra safety around loading EPG data to avoid a couple of crashes (#7883)
(DVR) Recordings could hang if the tuner lost its signal lock (#7606)
(Hubs) Starting playback from certain hubs may fail (#7777)
(Photos) Videos added via Camera Upload have the wrong date on iOS (#7517).
(Streaming Brain) Playback involving transcodes of some channel content failed with bandwidth error (#7911)
(Streaming Brain) Subtitles could disappear at the end of the file while transcoding (#7922)
(Transcoder) Subtitles could be unnecessarily transcoded when streaming to Plex Media Player (#7598)
(MediaInspector) Not all date information was getting saved correctly after re-analysis (#7934)
- Release Date: Dec 7, 2017
Plex Media Server 220.127.116.1123 is now available to everyone
Plex Media Server 18.104.22.16823 is now available to Plex Pass users in the Beta update channel
(DVR) Commercial removal was enabled by default for recording schedules in some cases (#7898)
Plex Media Server 22.214.171.12416 is now available to Plex Pass users in the Beta update channel
(Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.27.1
(DVR) Added functionality to remove commercials from recorded content (#5633)
(Live) Added the ability to seek within an active recording, with client support (#7270)
(Transcoder) Support for hardware decoding of 10-bit HEVC (#7738)
(DVR) A server's first recording of LATM-packetized AAC could fail (#7875)
(DVR) An issue where poor-quality signal could cause recordings to "stick", reporting as 100% complete (#7606)
(DVR) New Episodes Tonight hub now correctly starts at 7pm local time (#7614)
(DVR) Recordings could hang if the tuner lost its signal lock (#7606)
(DVR) Some DVB subtitles weren't recorded (#7700)
(Extras) Fixed extras regression in previous release (#7821)
(Hubs) Speed up music and TV hubs.
(Metadata) Add support for absolute ordering in TV episode filenames (#7159)
(On Deck) Fix a fairly large slowdown introduced recently (#7824)
(Streaming Brain) Correct bitrate restricted playback of some channel content (#7452)
(Streaming Brain) Corrected playback when ABR is requested but server limits streams to 320kbps (#7706)
(Transcoder) Fixed soft subs not appearing in some cases (#7597)
(Transcoder) Hardware encoding had reduced quality on Windows with Intel GPUs in some cases (#7887)
- Release Date: Nov 25, 2017
Plex Media Server 126.96.36.19960 is now available to Plex Pass users in the Beta update channel
(Playback) Playback would end early on some devices
Plex Media Server 188.8.131.5241 is now available to Plex Pass users in the Beta update channel
(Transcoder) Support pruning old segments to reduce disk usage in DASH and HTTP transcodes (#7484)
(Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.26.2
(Android) Add missing library to the installer (#7716)
(Android) Fix green artifacts when transcoding to DASH (#7578)
(Diagnostics) Downloaded logs/databases now have correct timestamps (#5177)
(Diagnostics) The log file zip will now resepct the LogNumFiles preference (#7239)
(DVR) Deadlock when tuning live (#7684)
(DVR) Exclude duplicate/past airings on other channels in EPG data so they show in the timeline correctly. (#7699)
(DVR) Fix an issue that led to missing video streams in some cases (#7637)
(DVR) Keep Certain channel data from causing EPG to fail entirely for all channels (#7728)
(DVR) When changing folders in a library, recordings could fail (#6203)
(Extras) Use the right bitrate for extras. (#7678)
(Filters) Add ability to filter on audio/subtitle languages (#6401)
(Filters) Add writer/producer filters for movie libraries (#6401)
(Filters) Director, writer, and producer custom filters for TV libraries now work correctly (#6401)
(Hubs) A rare case where episodes from other libraries could be suggested on postplay screen. (#7703)
(Hubs) Don't show hubs with just one thing in them on show screens (#6353)
(Hubs) When changing the "include in dashboard" setting, dashboard wouldn't update (#7726)
(Hubs) When creating a playlist, ensure it shows up in RECENT PLAYLISTS even before playing.
(Hubs) When deleting a playlist, it could remain in the RECENT PLAYLISTS hub. (#7701)
(iOS) Crash restarting the server. (#7231)
(Library) Crash when attempting to download extras (#7713)
(Library) Crash when getting children of an unparented season (#7677)
(Library) When changing airing order, shows refresh automatically and thumb are correctly reset (#6465)
(Photos) Items in photo timelines will reflect the correct date now if the original date is altered and re-analyzed (#7557)
(Scanner) Corrected thumbnail generation on a section (#7764)
(Scheduled tasks) Sometimes nightly EPG refreshing task and others wouldn't run (#7719)
(Security) Library section information could be leaked to shared users (#6954)
(Stream Ready) Don't crash when falling back from a hardware encoding failure (#7568)
(Streaming Brain) Preserve soft subtitles in DASH Auto-Quality (#7597)
(Transcoder) A crash on certain FreeBSD configurations
(Transcoder) A crash when trying to use hardware transcoding in macOS 10.10 (#7692)
(Transcoder) A crash with certain subtitles in files with embedded fonts (#7436)
(Transcoder) Do not disable hardware decoding if hardware encoding fails on unsupported resolutions (#7646)
(Transcoder) Make dangerous transcoder prefs 'hidden' (#7536)
(Transcoder) Rare deadlock during playback (#7710)
(Transcoder) Video quality improvements when hardware encoding on Broadwell and Braswell devices (#6914)
- Release Date: Nov 10, 2017
- Release Date: Oct 14, 2017
Plex Media Server 1.9.4
- (Hubs) Opening a photo discovery hub may cause the server to crash (#7624)
- (DVR) A rare crash when using DVR or Live TV (#7632)
- (DVR) Radio channels should no longer crash PMS (#7229)
- (DVR) Video streams that were getting lost during recording have been found again (#7637)
Plex Media Server 1.9.3
- (Hubs) Massive speedup to discovery hubs via caching system
- (iOS) Allow syncing ALAC music without conversion.
- (Transcoder) Portrait videos would be stretched out when being transcoded (#7287)
- (Music) Artist album sorting was sometimes overridden incorrectly (#7349)
- (Network) Fallback to IPv4 only if IPv6 networking fails to setup (#7382)
- (Transcoder) Extracting chapter thumbnails could use significant memory (#7397)
- (Scanner) Some plexignore rules were not being applied for photo libraries (#5866)
- (DVR) Setups with multiple HDHomeRun tuners now properly tune on both (#7417)
- (Relay) Don't attempt to load ~/.ssh/config on macOS/Linux (#7528)
- Release Date: Sep 21, 2017
- (Crash Reporting) Preference to opt out of crash reporting
- (Transcoder) Deadlocks when performing concurrent static and streaming transcodes (#7554)
- Release Date: Sep 9, 2017
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.20.5
- (NAS) Asustor ARM builds would fail to start
- Release Date: Aug 25, 2017
- Release Date: Jun 24, 2017
- (Cloud Sync) Using Cloud Sync with Dropbox would have failed after June 28th (#7152)
- Release Date: May 12, 2017
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.4.1
- (Localization) Updated server translations
- (NAS) Synology x86_64 package support
- (NAS) Use /shares as the library root for WD MyCloud (#6678)
- (Playlists) 'Play All' may not play in the expected order (#5035 #5071)
- (Playlists) Thumnails may not be generated for smart playlists (#6459)
- (Search) Searches including an apostrophe would fail (#6585)
- (DVR) Recording timeslot preference could be off by one hour during DST (#5671)
- (DVR) End-padded recordings can terminate prematurely (#6284)
- (Metadata) TMDB API errors could cause PlexMovie agent failures
- (Network) Crashes when diagnosing with the connections endpoint (#5713)
- (Linux) Ubuntu/Fedora/CentOS systemd startup warnings (#6741)
- (Smart TV) Playback could fail when servers were not signed in (#6715)
- Release Date: Apr 15, 2017
- (Transcoder) Fix an issue with transcodes failing with long Windows user names. (#6709)
- Release Date: Apr 13, 2017
- (Transcoder) A/V sync issues when transcoding TrueHD audio
- (Transcoder) Transcodes could fail if the transcoder cache directory did not support filesystem change notifications (This is a fix for the known issue in 1.5.3, the workaround described above should no longer be necessary).
- Release Date: Apr 5, 2017
Plex Media Server 1.5.3 is now available to everyone.
Note: Some FreeNAS/BSD users using the Docker issues may experience issues with audio-transcoding. We are working on a fix, but a workaround is available at:
Plex Media Server 1.5.3 is now available for Plex Pass members.
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.2.1.
- (Photos) Large libraries could be slow to load under some circumstances
Plex Media Server 1.5.2 is now available for Plex Pass members.
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.2.0.
- (Network) Slower than expected streaming over fast connections with high latency. (#6548)
- (Transcoder) Playback failures during concurrent sessions (#6590)
- (DVR) Older SiliconDust HDHomerun tuners weren't being detected on FreeBSD.
- (Localization) Updated server translation text.
Plex Media Server 1.5.1 is now available for Plex Pass members.
(Transcoder) Changed codecs for AC3, EAC3 and TrueHD.
(DVR) Channel scans in non-US regions could return invalid options during DVR setup. (#6552)
(Scanner) Crashes during scanner shutdown. (#6463)
Plex Media Server 1.5.0 is now available for Plex Pass members.
(DVR) Support all SiliconDust HDHomerun tuners, including older generations.
(Media Flags) Updated bundle to 2017-02-27.
(TV) Add "Hide for single-season series" preference to library-level season settings. (#6349)
(DVR) Crash reading null data from OnConnect EPG. (#6516)
(DVR) Missing language name for Luba-Katanga. (#6402)
(TV) Playback issues with date-based episodes. (#6488)
(Updates) An update could be presented as being available, while being downloaded or installed. (#6374)
(Metadata) Improved classification of video resolution as 720p, 1080p, 4k, and 8k. (#2639)
(Metadata) Posters might be unnecessarily refreshed during local media agent refresh. (#6356)
(Transcoder) Don't use sampling rates above 48kHz when transcoding audio. (#6302)
(Database) Deadlocks optimizing databases under certain conditions. (#6461)
(Extras) Manually refreshing a movie could duplicate extras. (#6310)
- Release Date: Mar 17, 2017
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.1.1.
- (DVR) Deadlock scheduling recordings. (#6468)
- (DVR) Deadlock recording while scanning photo libraries. (#6405)
- (DVR) Deadlock downloading EPG data. (#6504)
- (DVR) Issues recording content when remuxing to MKV from DVB-T/T2 sources. (#6498)
- (Streaming Brain) Rare deadlock estimating client bandwidth. (#6505)
- (DLNA) DLNA Server might start even when the setting was disabled. (#6469)
- (On Deck) On Deck episodes weren't showing for managed users with restrictions. (#6387)
- (Transcoder) Matroska streams were missing duration metadata (causing playback issues on Chrome and some LG TVs). (#6462)
- (Media Analysis) Audio format in MP4/M4V containers was incorrectly detected (causing playback issues on the Roku). (#6439)
- (Media Analysis) Excessive logging analyzing certain files. (#6339)
- (Media Analysis) Restore detection of header compression in Matroska containers. (#6460)
- Release Date: Mar 3, 2017
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.0.1.
- (macOS) Automatic updates from 1.4.2 were failing. (#6435)
- (Streaming Brain) Occasional crashes when per-user bandwidth limits were enabled. (#6427)
- (Subtitles) Issues playing soft subtitles with certain clients. (#6386)
- (Database) Performance issues or deadlocks optimizing the database while scanning photo libraries. (#6358)
- (Metadata) Preserve customized text fields when unmatching. (#4999)
- (Metadata) Display issues with cast members for certain shows. (#6117)
- (DLNA) Crash setting preferences when preference string in settings was corrupt. (#6421)
- Release Date: Feb 3, 2017
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 2.13.0
- (Media Flags) Updated bundle to 2016-12-22 (#6033)
- (DLNA) Crash browsing to certain photo library sections. (#5874)
- (Streaming Brain) Certain videos might transcode instead even when enough bandwidth was available to direct play. (#6085) (#6216)
- Release Date: Dec 10, 2016
- (NAS) Improve support for Western Digital MyCloud PR2100 and PR4100 devices.
- (Localization) Updated server translation text. (#5908)
- Release Date: Nov 24, 2016
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 2.10.10.
- (Media Flags) Updated bundle.
- Playback issues on Roku, iOS and other platforms. (#5715)
- Occasional server hangs during video playback. (#5505) (#5658)
Plex Media Server 1.2.6 is now available for everyone.
- (TV) Issues playing transcoded music on the PlayStation 4 and other TV and Web apps. (#5703)
Plex Media Server 1.2.5 is now available for everyone.
- (Music) Issues scanning premium music libraries. (#5684)
- (Metadata) Issues obtaining preview images from fanart.tv. (#5665)
- Release Date: Nov 6, 2016
- Release Date: Sep 14, 2016
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 2.8.1.
- (Nvidia Shield) Enable DLNA server. (#5013)
- (Security) Allow http requests using the server's machine name to authenticate using the "networks allowed without auth" preference. (#5270)
- Improved crash reporting infrastructure. (#4669)
- (LG) Connectivity problems when older LG MediaLink TVs connect to signed-in servers with whitelisted IP addresses. (#5271)
- (Ubuntu) Installation failures on certain VPS systems lacking /proc/1/comm. (#5300)
- (QNAP) Issues restarting PMS after unclean shutdown. (#5309)
- (Trailers) Plex Movie agent 'Use red band (restricted audiences) trailers when available' preference was being ignored when downloading trailers. (#5298)
- Enabling network logging in clients could cause the server to hang. (#5277)
- Spurious "Streaming session doesn't exist" errors when playing synced content on certain clients. (#5264)
- Release Date: Sep 1, 2016
IMPORTANT: With the security changes in version 1.1.0, if your Plex Media Server is signed in to a plex.tv account, then all of the apps you use must also be signed-in. If you use older apps that cannot authenticate (e.g. LG's MediaLink app), you can add the IP address of the device to the following advanced preference: Settings > Server > Network > List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth. (We strongly encourage apps to be signed in for improved security and enhanced functionality.)
(Media Flags) Update bundle.
(NAS) Non-ASCII characters were being encoded to XML incorrectly on certain ARM devices. (#5255)
(Android) Enforce h264 profile limitations correctly. (#5233)
- Release Date: Jul 30, 2016
- Crash handling certain requests from PS4 clients. (#4984)
- (OS X) Don't prevent the display from going to sleep.
- (Metadata) Issues obtaining data from TVDB, requiring server restart.
- (Metadata) Fallback to English TVDB searches when searching with another language fails. (#4933)
- (Metadata) Tracks and disc numbers in premium music libraries could be affected by bad tag data. (#4437)
- Release Date: Jul 23, 2016
- Save track offsets in music libraries that have opted in. (#3370)
- Updated Media Flags bundle.
- (OS X) Startup failures on some older versions of MacOS. (#4969)
- (Windows) DLNA server process might not have a firewall exemption. (#4136)
- (Claiming) Better error message if server claiming fails (#4907)
- (Linux) Fix migration script for users with custom app data directories. (#4808)
- (Linux) Improve Fedora/Ubuntu SELinux support. (#4808)
- (Metadata) Issues fetching metadata for Pokémon TV series. (#4966)
- (Metadata) Handle multiple directors returned from TVDB. (#4960)
- (Metadata) Fetch localized titles correctly using Plex Movie Agent. (#4963)
- Release Date: Jul 15, 2016
- Update Plex Web to 2.7.0.
- (Chromecast) Use opus instead of mp3 when transcoding music. (#4805)
- (Sync) Changed Sync database format. Downgrading to older Plex Media Server builds may cause Sync problems. (#3959)
- (Sync) Synced content wouldn't show up on iOS in some rare cases. See https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/175998/planned-features-known-issues/ (#3959)
- (Media Analysis) Crashes analyzing certain .wtv files. (#4789)
- (Network) Update plex.tv server information when port mapping fails. (#4758)
- (Metadata) Speed up album refreshes in some cases when using Last.fm agent.
- (Transcoder) Playback failures skipping to near end of video. (#4803)
- (Transcoder) Rare crashes with unreliable internet connections. (#4803)
- Release Date: Jun 11, 2016
- Release Date: Apr 8, 2016
- (Media Optimizer) Episodes from shows whose titles have trailing periods might be repeatedly reprocessed (on Windows).
- (Media Optimizer) Transcoded special episodes weren't following the naming convention.
- (Media Optimizer) Optimized versions could be automatically deleted while being watched.
- (Transcoder) Transcoder process crashes weren't being reliably detected on non-Windows platforms.
- (Transcoder) Issues transcoding music files with high sampling rates.
- (Transcoder) The highest quality audio encoder wasn't always selected with Direct Streaming disabled.
- (DLNA) Crashes entering movie sections with Samsung Smart TV DLNA client.
- (Windows) Show tray icon on recent Windows Insider Preview builds.
- (Windows) Overwrite older files more reliably during setup.
- (Metadata) Download higher quality artist posters from last.fm.
- (Metadata) Fix top tracks for music libraries.
- (Metadata) Missing Rotten Tomatoes metadata when movie has no trailers and language is not set to English
- (PS4) Certain images weren't being cached while browsing.
- (Web) Plex Pass privileges weren't being recognized on first sign-in.
- Issues with .plexignore files.
- Issues with playback from some unofficial Plex Channels.
- Release Date: Mar 22, 2016
- New installs weren't offering a simple way to sign into plex.tv.
- Transcoded music playback was failing on Playstation 3 and 4 apps.
- Release Date: Mar 19, 2016
- (NAS) Support Synology DS414j, DS416j and DSM 6.0 Beta
- (Windows) Occasional HTTP 500 errors when playing media.
- (NAS) Warn if the Synology DSM version is too old.
- (Transcoder) In rare cases, clients might see partial files when downloading segmented WebVTT subtitles.
- (Transcoder) Failures transcoding online content with limited media analysis info.
- (Transcoder) Don't select an unavailable media item for playback when another one is available.
- Release Date: Mar 1, 2016
- Release Date: Feb 18, 2016
Feb 16, 2016
Recognize JPEG 2000 files as photos.
Recognize WebVTT files as external subtitles.
(PS3, PS4) Incorrect aspect ratios transcoding anamorphic video.
(Chromecast) Remove 12Mbps video bitrate limit.
Remove folder view from library sections when user has restrictions.
Support unicode attributes scanning WMA files.
Recently Added hub items weren't always sorted correctly.
Feb 3, 2016
(Transcoder) Improve performance transcoding video to MP4 containers.
(Media Optimizer) Crash after video transcode with certain subtitle configurations.
(Sync)(Windows) Issues ensuring transcode directory is writable.
(Sync)(iOS) Improve accuracy of synced resolution and bitrate metadata.
Jan 22, 2016
(iOS) Sync soft subtitles to iOS clients.
Advanced preference to set the x264 preset used with background transcodes.
(Windows) Plex Media Server now requires the latest service pack or update, when installed on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
(Windows) Address installation errors on systems missing a required service pack or operating system update.
(Media Optimizer) Processing wouldn't always restart to handle newly-added library content.
(Sync) Sync item configuration changes weren't being picked up immediately.
(Sync) Watched items weren't being immediately removed from unwatched-only sync items.
(Sync) Unwatched-only sync items might not include specific unwatched items in some rare cases.
(Sync) Run Cloud Sync every 24 hours, in order to sync view counts to the cloud.
Popular tracks list for artists wasn't respecting sharing restrictions.
Netgear RN21x package no longer overwrites Preferences.xml on startup.
Incorrect auto-update download links in some rare cases.
Playback could fail to start on LG TVs in some rare cases.
Subtitles in 'mov_text' format might not transcode correctly.
Crash during episode post-play.
Jan 7, 2016
(Sync) Transcodes for iOS now include all audio streams from the source file.
(iOS/Apple TV) Support Direct Play for HLS streams from channels.
Support Synology DiskStation DS216play and DS716+ devices
(Windows) Resolved installer error "Another version of this product is already installed".
(Windows) Allow host PC to go to sleep.
(Windows) Transcoder errors with non-ASCII user names.
(Media Optimizer) Update default target max bitrates to 1080p/8Mbps (TV) and 720p/4Mbps (Mobile).
(Sync) Original item order wasn't preserved when processing items.
(Sync) Unwatched-only policies weren't working as expected for some sync items.
(Sync) Unwatched-only and limit policies weren't being applied to synced playlists.
(Sync) Cloud Sync stability improvements.
Improved accuracy and reliability of PubSub server selection.
In some cases, movie year was incorrectly being set to the file's creation time.
Playlist duration and item count could be incorrect in some cases.
Fixed a case where optimizing the database could hang the server.
Fixed crash on WD ARMv7 devices
Fixed favicon requests.
Dec 23, 2015
Allow overriding log file location using an environment variable, on non-Windows platforms.
Apple TV could display subtitle streams as English instead of the actual language.
(Media Optimizer) Display correct set of optimized videos for unwatched-only optimizations.
(Media Optimizer) Don't fail if the file system doesn't support creating a dot-prefixed directory.
Update plex.tv information when secure connections preference changes.
Browse errors in some clients after restricting music library sharing by album label.
In rare cases, newly added episodes might not receive correct metadata.
(Windows) Crash on startup if iTunes registry key is corrupted.
(Windows) Show DTS-HD media flag correctly.
Improved last.fm scrobble support.
Remove an unused file that could trigger false positives from anti-virus scanners.
- Release Date: Dec 24, 2015
- Allow overriding log file location using an environment variable, on non-Windows platforms.
- Apple TV could display subtitle streams as English instead of the actual language.
- (Media Optimizer) Display correct set of optimized videos for unwatched-only optimizations.
- (Media Optimizer) Don't fail if the file system doesn't support creating a dot-prefixed directory.
- Update plex.tv information when secure connections preference changes.
- Browse errors in some clients after restricting music library sharing by album label.
- In rare cases, newly added episodes might not receive correct metadata.
- (Windows) Crash on startup if iTunes registry key is corrupted.
- (Windows) Show DTS-HD media flag correctly.
- Improved last.fm scrobble support.
- Remove an unused file that could trigger false positives from anti-virus scanners.
- Release Date: Nov 7, 2015
- Improved subtitle handling on Apple TV
- Improved Direct Play support on Apple TV
- Release Date: Oct 31, 2015
- Impove remote control reliability in certain cases.
- Improved audio codec handling for an unreleased app for an unreleased fruit-themed device.
- Check non-primary languages in OpenSubtitles agent.
- Release Date: Oct 8, 2015
- Fix a new issue where background artwork wasn't returned correctly in some cases.
- Sync: Fix an issue where sync item status wasn't updated.
- In some cases, extras weren't downloaded for movies.
- Release Date: Sep 12, 2015
- Upgraded the iLife channels (iTunes, iPhoto, and Aperture) so the new iOS app can use them.
- Add support for videos in iPhoto channel.
- A handful of fixes for Plex Companion (remote control) proxy for big-screen apps.
- Sync: Fix a large memory leak when syncing (thanks, sa2000!)
- Sync: Fix an issue when content synced but then the libraries weren't visible.
- Sync: Fix an issue when certain items failed to sync and got stuck at 50% (i.e. didn't download).
- Release Date: Aug 19, 2015
- Fixed some regressions in Linux and NAS packaging in 0.9.12.7.
- (OS X) Fix a case where deleting a media file failed.
- Fix for remote access in certain cases involving proxies.
- Release Date: Jun 24, 2015
- Enable remux on PPC plaforms.
- Tweak for HTTP request timer (thanks, sa2000!)
- Improvements to filesystem watching functionality.
- A rare issue where the transcoded video became extremely low resolution.
- More improvements to search with non-latin characters.
- Improved sorting by duration.
- (Linux) Fix for Ubuntu wuth Kernel earlier than 2.6.33
- (Sync) Various bug fixes.
- Release Date: Jun 5, 2015
- An issue editing tags with commas and other special characters.
- Track mood editing issue.
- Don't create duplicate playlists when importing from iTunes during first scan.
- Localization on Linux wasn't working.
- Improve reliablity of online presence detection.
- Crash on startup due to corrupted cache file (thanks, sa2000!)
- An issue where DASH streaming would fail if certain audio streams were selected.
- (Windows) User installs of Python could interfere.
- (Western Digital) Package improvements.
- (Ubuntu) Fix config path issue.
- (Ubuntu) Do not run systemctl on non systemd installs.
- (Sync) Logging improvements.
- (Sync) Analyze media items on-the-fly if needed.
- Release Date: May 5, 2015
- Enable iTunes importing code for UNIX; set advanced preference with path to library XML.
- Support for decade-based filtering for movies and albums.
- Add a hidden preference for sorting albums (AlbumSort, with default value "year:desc").
- Add a new library preference to tell scanner to respect media tags (for new libraries).
- A crash shortly after startup.
- (Linux) Crash on start.
- (Windows) Scanner might not pick up new media, or might stop in the middle.
- A few other crashes and minor stability issues.
- Release Date: May 1, 2015
- Korean and Hungarian translations.
- Massive speedups for HTTP server.
- Keep music in the library automatically refreshed via scheduled task.
- Added Similar Artists feature.
- Match and download metadata as we scan for movies and music.
- Added Recently Viewed Episodes hub.
- Add upcoming concert dates for artists.
- Music videos for tracks and artists. Vevo videos for Plex Pass.
- Plex Mix (Plex Pass only).
- Capture album year, and artwork (Plex Pass music scanner only) during scan.
- Added Continue Watching hub for home videos.
- Add sorting for TV shows based on number of unwatched episodes.
- Added multi-disc support in music libraries.
- Add two music video hubs for music libraries.
- Add a "throwback" hub for artists you haven’t listened to in X.
- Add track filter for moods (Plex Pass only).
- Add Track rating filter.
- Support for PS3/4 audio transcoding.
- Allow artists to have countries, allow filtering by country.
- Allow filtering albums by studio.
- Scan new media first.
- Improve background on-the-fly media analysis. Analyze albums on-the-fly.
- Add sorting by "Played At and "Play Count" for artists and albums.
- Strip diacriticals and macrons from sort titles and use for searching.
- Use filesystem times for “added at” during first scan.
- Import play counts during iTunes import.
- (API) Add director search provider to global search results.
- (API) Add group=X feature to the filtering language.
- (API) Support for batch editing, field autocompletion.
- (API) Support for deleting composite types (e.g. albums).
- (API) Support for computing common fields between multiple items.
- Be smarter about when to merge identical albums and when to separate.
- Fix recently played hubs to not return things with zero play count.
- (OS X) Fix an issue where App Nap could affect server performance.
- (Windows) iTunes latest 64-bit release was broken.
- Improve searching to start at word boundaries.
- Clear playlist composite when clearing playlist.
- Order various artists albums by name, other artists by year descending.
- Speed up various endpoints, including play queue creation.
- Fix a few hubs crashes.
- Don’t scan right away on filesystem changes when starting up.
- Delete unused tags and taggings during database maintenance.
- Many performance and stability improvements.
- Release Date: Mar 30, 2015
- Release Date: Feb 27, 2015
- Release Date: Nov 22, 2014
- Plex Home!
- Translations for Lithuanian, Brazilian, Danish.
- Multiuser and Now Playing available for everyone.
- Improved networking support on FreeBSD.
- New auto-update system for Windows & OS X.
- Workaround an issue with LG TVs rebooting.
- When viewing "More from" content, don't include original item.
- Fix a crash on start when upgrading from a much older version.
- Cleanup unused tags in the database.
- DLNA server setting takes effect immediately.
- Improved reliability around publishing server to the cloud.
- When setting On Deck window to 0 weeks, all the Recently Added hubs disappeared.
- Some AAC audio was not working with ChromeCast.
- Unassociated directories with similar names could get scanned.
- Issues with by-letter browsing when multibyte titles are present.
- Playlist from albums has tracks ordered by track index, not album.
- QNAP ARM builds supported again.
- Release Date: Oct 12, 2014
- Please refer to the Plex Media Server forum announcement thread, https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/62832-plex-media-server/, for a full list of changes
- Release Date: Mar 14, 2014
- (Synology) Fixed installation on DSM 5.0
- Fixed an issue where non-direct played Roku video took a long time to start.
- Fixed syncing RAW photos (for real).
- Release Date: Feb 26, 2014
- Fix a possible source of sleep prevention.
- Fix for playback of some channels with Chromecast.
- Transcoder fix for Chromecast.
- Release Date: Dec 28, 2013
- Release Date: Dec 19, 2013
- An issue where video played with Chromecast would freeze.
- Media analysis wouldn't work right on files with chapter tracks and subtitles.
(FreeBSD) Crashing of transcoder with subtitles.
- Include Popcorn Hour profile.
- Release Date: Dec 11, 2013
- Updated ffmpeg used in media analysis, should help in many ways.
- Track stream titles and codec ID in media analysis.
- Improve connectivity to myPlex.
- Massive improvements to Universal Transcoder quality. Fixes issues with artifacts.
- Increase audio bitrate at higher qualities.
- Failure to re-publish server after connectivity issue.
- Don't log passwords. For real.
- Subtitle encoding detection improved for eastern European languages.
- (DLNA) Improve photo rendering.
- (Sync) An issue with a bogus resource path.
- (Windows) Eliminate a number of crashes.
- Release Date: Oct 29, 2013
- In some cases (transient network glitches) the server could re-transcode all synced content, which could lead to iOS not being able to play it.
- An issue where the new fast scans could miss files when "multi-episode" files were present.
- An issue where the new fast scan wouldn't skip a directory it should.
- Crashes when streaming RTMP content.
- Release Date: Sep 7, 2013
- Transcoder support for the Plex Chrome app.
- Media index files are now available for all users, not just PlexPass members.
- Speed up scanning with database optimizations.
- Another fix for "Recently Viewed Shows".
- View settings are now stored per-account.
- Much less memory used when loading iTunes XML.
- Fix a few field-reported crashes.
- (Windows) Make sure taskbar icon is created.
- (Mac) Fix menu spinner not showing during a scan.
- (DLNA) Use correct MIME types for AAC.
- (DLNA) Update profiles for Bravia 2010 and 2012 models.
- Speed up remuxing H.264 from WTV files.
- (API) Media items on details endpoints weren't sorted correctly.
- Release Date: Aug 30, 2013
- Recently viewed shows was returning incorrect information.
- Scan subfolders in sorted order.
- Get rid of some annoying errors in the log.
- Sections that weren't shared could show up as shared.
- Allow stream selection for shared users on the Roku.
- Track view settings changes correctly from Plex Home Theater.
- A handful of field-reported crashes.
- Release Date: Aug 14, 2013
- Multi-user mode. All the users you share media with (inside and outside the house) get their own view of it (e.g. On Deck, view history) , and can select custom audio/subtitles. You can use it with children to restrict their access to certain parts of your library (this is only the first baby step towards parental controls). This feature is PlexPass only.
- Now Playing: A “control room” for your server, where you can see what everyone is watching. If you enable media index files, you can even see a super cool animation of fading thumbnails. This feature is also PlexPass only.
- Media Index Files: This option indexes your media and allows for graphical seeking. The Roku and Android apps make use of it. Also PlexPass only. Might make lesser computers cry while it’s actually indexing the files.
- Screenshot 2013 08 13 08 37 42
- HTTPS support: The media server listens on port 32443 for HTTPS connections.
- Prettier photo albums: We now auto-select a “cover” photo for your photo albums.
- DLNA fixes: There have been a large number of fixes to DLNA. It’s mo betta.
- Other random goodness: Tons of fixes. Copious performance improvements.
- Drobo 5N support: Got one of these beautiful new devices? Get your Plex on.
- Release Date: Jun 11, 2013
- Please refer to this blog post http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/06/04/plex-media-server-0-9-8-a-giant-step-towards-1-0/ for more information
- Release Date: Apr 1, 2013
- FIX: Explicitly close HTTP connections, fixes some issues with Android and PlexSync (e.g. Kindle Fire HD).
- FIX: Send back correct video size in HLS playlist, should fix (most) aspect ratio issues in Plex/Web.
- FIX: (Linux) Don't crash if PID file is corrupt.
- FIX: (Windows) Fix a possible issue running on older processors.
- FIX: (Transcoder) More resiliency to corrupt H.264 streams.
- FIX: (Transcoder) Fix some issues transcoding AVI files with H.264 video.
- FIX: (Synology) Fixed startup issue.
- Track whether H.264 has scaling matrixes during analysis, fixes playback failing on some High Profile files. Requires re-analysis.
- Capture MKV header compression during media analysis.
- (Transcoder) Support for burning TX3G subtitles.
- (Transcoder) Improve media analysis for PCM audio files.
- (Roku) Limit AAC to 256kbps, makes high bitrate files play.
- (Sync) Fix an issue which could result in clients (like Kepler) not downloading image resources when syncing.
- (Sync) Sync lists weren't getting downloaded on startup.
- (Sync) Fix sync breaking when items in single-item sync entries were deleted from the library.
- (Windows) Fix when moving database to a UNC path.
- Media analysis failed to capture MJPEG stream of chapter images.
- Fix for bogus bitrate on Media elements.
- Fix for new transcoder not working channels requiring headers.
- (Transcoder) Another major speedup, up to 2x or so, should be faster than old transcoder in nearly all cases.
- (Transcoder) Strip out metadata, fixes some files not playing when synced to Android devices.
- (Transcoder) Fix for seeking with external VOBSUBs.
- (Transcoder) Fix for resuming/seeking with external subtitles.
- (Transcoder) Fix for PGS subs not working on Windows.
- (Transcoder) Fix for audio never remuxing.
- (Transcoder) Transcode choosing AC3 for stereo rather than AAC.
- (Transcoder) Fix when transcoding DTS 5.1 to AAC 5.1.
- Release Date: Mar 14, 2013
- NEW: Auto-select forced subtitles. I don’t speak alien either.
- NEW: (API) More information passed back at root level to aid PlexSync clients.
- NEW: (API) Final transcode resolution passed back for transcode session endpoint.
- NEW: (API) Add a “transcoderVideo” flag at root if we support transcoding video.
- NEW: (API) Allow callers to specify a background color when transcoding to JPEG.
- NEW: (API) Add viewStateUpdatedAt for global OnDeck to allow sorting.
- NEW: (API) export library section UUIDs for PlexSync.
- NEW: (Android) Add FLAC as a direct play profile (syncing at less than “highest” will convert to MP3).
- NEW: Added device notifications for sync (in progress, item complete). Mostly helps Kepler.
- NEW: (PlexSync) Support for syncing show banners.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Massive speedups for the new transcoder in many scenarios (sync, streaming, seeking). It should be 2x to 3x faster (around 2x faster than the old transcoder), and will resolve many issues of stuttering and buffering some have seen.
- FIX: A bug where timed library updates might only happen every other interval.
- FIX: A major regression with subtitles causing transcoder to exit on certain OS X systems.
- FIX: A case where we didn’t allow the host system to sleep.
- FIX: Improvements to audio stream picking heuristics.
- FIX: A hang when WebKit transcodes failed.
- FIX: Some EAC3 streams showed up as “EC-3″.
- FIX: Use media analysis duration instead of likely meaningless metadata duration when possible.
- FIX: Improved elastic thread pool behavior, less pressure on thread creation/destruction.
- FIX: Fixed an issue where background color wasn’t correct in the image transcoder (fixes section icons on Roku).
- FIX: (OS X) Fix auto-update library failing under certain conditions.
- FIX: (OS X) Show Plex/Web preferences by default, option-click shows old Cocoa prefs.
- FIX: Improve Kepler transcoder profile, add Plex/Web profile.
- FIX: (ReadyNAS) Update packaging, fix temp folder path.
- FIX: (Ubuntu) Upstart fix.
- FIX: (Fedora) Fixes in scripts.
- FIX: (Roku) Improve profile, disable anamorphic video.
- FIX: (Kepler) Limit AAC to two channel, so 5.1 gets mixed down when streaming on mobile devices.
- FIX: (Kepler) Fix for anamorphic video displaying incorrectly.
- FIX: (Windows) Don’t let PYTHONPATH interfere with our Python. Fixes some startup issues.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Upgrade to ffmpeg 1.1.2
- FIX: (New transcoder) Allow specifying max bitrate.
- FIX: (New transcoder) MPEG4 inside AVI files didn’t work.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Allow for faster seeking for clients that support it.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Don’t send back blank segments when transcoder dies.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Allow other users access to transcode session information.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Use higher bitrate when converting other codecs to AAC.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Improve quality when transcoding interlaced content.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Greatly improved AAC audio quality.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Remove MP3 from iOS HLS transcode target.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Improved support for remuxing with multichannel audio.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Support transcoding between multi-channel formats.
- FIX: (New transcoder) We failed with some content due to scaling bug (Vimeo, TED).
- FIX: (New transcoder) Send more logs up to the media server to help diagnosing issues.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Fix an issue when remuxed videos failed or acted weirdly.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Fix issue with last character being missing in SRT subs.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Fix SRT subs showing tags.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Improve accuracy of bitrate in M3U8, helps Roku.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Improve bandwidth estimates for HLS.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Some indirect videos failed to play.
- FIX: (New transcoder) We were generating MPEGTS streams which occasionally made the Roku crash.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Improve reliability of new transcoder when resuming.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Some VOBSUB subtitles inside MKV files weren’t burned.
- FIX: (New transcoder) Some high bitrate stereo content failed to transcode.
- Release Date: Feb 7, 2013
- NEW: Greatly improved (Sync and Win8) transcoder subtitle burning: support SSA and SMI, fix crashes, fix subtitle sync when resuming video.
- FIX: Scanning TV shows near the root directory of a volume didn’t work reliably.
- FIX: Send Accept-Ranges: bytes HTTP header when answering requests for media. Fixes Win8 seeking in media.
- FIX: DTS audio inside MP4 container could be incorrectly identified as mp4a during media analysis.
- FIX: Transcoding certain media files could be pathologically slow. Thanks to Rodger for helping us diagnose the issue!
- FIX: Transcoding video audio from MP3 to AAC would fail in some rare cases.
- FIX: A/V sync issues transcoding Smooth Streaming to Windows 8 Store app.
- FIX: Actor thumbnails weren’t being offered correctly to sync clients.
- FIX: Removed unnecessary logging when running transcoder.
- FIX: Add more logging when Win8 app loopback exemption can’t be added.
- FIX: When a media asset is uploaded, it becomes the default.
- FIX: Sync item status could be prematurely reported as complete.
- FIX: Added iPad mini sync profile.
- NEW: (API) Allow converting SMI to SRT (format=srt).
- FIX: (Windows) Large log files when number of library paths exceeded 64.
- FIX: (Sync) A few issues with sync status not being reported correctly.
- FIX: (Transcoder) An A/V sync issue affecting Win8 app.
- Leveraging the new transcoder, and all these other fixes, is the latest update of Plex for Windows 8. It’s taken us a few releases, but at this point media playback support on the app is really super good, and it’s able to play lots of content with remuxing, which (given our support for throttling on the server side), means awesome quality video with minimal CPU usage. Lots of other new stuff, including more keyboard navigation and a cool media information popup, and many bug-fixes.
- Release Date: Jan 15, 2013
- FIX: Workaround for LG TVs rebooting.
- FIX: (Windows) Lots of CPU, giants logs in some cases.
- FIX: An issue scanning sections where the paths had trailing slashes (e.g. W:).
- FIX: MP4 files with DTS streams had them incorrectly identified as MP4a.
- FIX: (Sync) A few issues with sync status not being reported correctly.
- FIX: (Transcoder) An A/V sync issue affecting Windows 8 Plex app.
- Release Date: Jan 4, 2013
- NEW: Music sections support searching by album.
- NEW: Massive performance improvements for some DLNA streaming scenarios.
- NEW: Allow players to specify a protocol and respect their port.
- NEW: (API) Support for filtering movies by studio.
- NEW: (API) Support for sorting by last view date.
- NEW: (API) Added endpoints for uploading custom media assets (e.g. posters). Used by Plex/Web.
- FIX: Some cache control header updates.
- FIX: A few crashes.
- FIX: (Windows) Workaround for Win 8 security model preventing Plex for Windows 8 from connecting on same machine.
- FIX: (Windows) Crash on start.
- FIX: (Windows) 100% CPU when Plex for Windows 8 is running.
- FIX: (Transcoder) External SRT files with BOM marker weren’t getting rendered.
- FIX: (Transcoder) Faster startup.
- FIX: (PlexSync) Transcoder now handles anamorphic video properly.
- FIX: (PlexSync) Sometimes converted files could be bigger than source files.
- FIX: (PlexSync) Ratings directory was missing.
- FIX: (API) New /channels/arts endpoint which returns channel background art.
- FIX: (API) Resolutions filter can be itself filtered.
- FIX: (API) Don’t return empty studios.
- FIX: (API) Global on deck has mixed parents.
- FIX: (API) Make sure recently viewed channels have identifiers.
- FIX: (API) Fix incorrectly escaping JSON.
- FIX: (API) Fixes for media asset uploads, and select/lock upload.
- FIX: (API) Fix alphanumeric paging with non-alphanumeric characters.
- FIX: (DLNA) Hopeful fix for some heap corruption.
- FIX: Fixed a few (very) rare deadlocks.
- FIX: Fixed iTunes channel for iTunes 11.
- FIX: (Sync) iPad 4s weren’t using the right profile.
- FIX: (Transcoder) Faster starting for transcoded audio.
- FIX: (Transcoder) Fixes for RTMP with new transcoder.
- FIX: (Transcoder) Speed up WebKit transcoder starts.
- FIX: (Transcoder) Fix for some remuxing cases with Win8.
- We’re incredibly excited to be spending 2013 with you. Lots of really great stuff in the works!
- Release Date: Dec 5, 2012
- (Non OS X) Automatically merge movies when appropriate.
- Fix a crash if there are any unexpected files in the transcode directory.
- Fix a crash when scanning photos with certain EXIF data.
- (OS X) Fixed an evil crash which occurred roughly once every day.
- Don’t allow clients to cache segments, fixes IE10 video playback issue.
- A few crashes that could be caused by proxies getting in the middle between server and myPlex.
- (PlexSync) Added iPad 4 profile, fixed iPad 3 profile.
- (PlexSync) Sync transcoder now works on 32-bit CPUs on Snow Leopard.
- (PlexSync) Allow DirectPlay sync with subtitles (e.g. MP4/TTXT).
- (PlexSync) Scrobble and library media addition/deletion kicks off sync worker. Fixes sync of recently added items.
- (PlexSync) We skip over any invalid sync items instead of completely failing.
- (PlexSync) Fix failed downloads of art/posters in some cases.
- (PlexSync) Synced media subsections weren’t always in the right order.
- (PlexSync) Video bitrate limit on ‘highest’ quality was removed.
- (PlexSync) Fixed broken XML in some sync profiles
- (PlexSync) Fixed an issue where the sync profile name was not constructed correctly.
- (PlexSync) Work-around that the client sent the wrong model name
- (PlexSync) Some sync profiles contained invalid transcoder options
- (Linux) Pass along LANG variable, to assist agents who need to read filesystem.
- (Linux) Crash signing out of myPlex or un-publishing server.
- (Linux) Add the photo transcoder in for ARM architectures.
- (Linux) Fixes for start-up scripts on Fedora and ReadyNAS
- (Linux) Upgrade Sync Transcoder to support progress information.
- (API) Fixes to /firstCharacter filters
- (API) Allow filtering filters by resolution/unwatched, fixes filter issue.
- (API) Don’t limit tag queries by metadata type if we have condition passed in.
- (API) Fix when filtering on unwatched in /firstCharacter endpoint.
- (API) Allow filter endpoints to use type in queries (e.g. album genres).
- Release Date: Sep 12, 2012
- FIX: [OS X] An annoying crash on start (massive thanks to MarcFBR for helping us track this down).
- FIX: [Win] RTMP channels weren’t working.
- FIX: A few minor token-related bugs.
- FIX: An issue with Internet Explorer and the new Web Client.
- Release Date: Aug 30, 2012
- Please refer to this blog post, http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/08/28/part-1-plex-media-server-v0-9-6-8/, for a list of what's new
- Release Date: Aug 1, 2012
- Please refer to this blog post, http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/07/31/plex-media-server-v0-9-6-6-plex-v0-9-5-4-plex-for-ios-v2-5/, for a list of what's new
- Release Date: Jul 4, 2012
- NEW: Massive performance improvements in scanning engine. We took things apart and put them back together again, and scanning should be much faster. Like much faster. You’ll notice it especially when scanning item-heavy sections like music. Speaking of music, we just pushed an much-improved Last.FM agent as well. Oh, and we also pushed a new Scanner which fixed an issue reading ID3 tags. So lots of love for music this release.
- NEW: Support for Virtual Scanners. Up until now, Plex Scanners have been limited to scanning the files directly, but with Virtual Scanners you can be much more creative. We’ve included an example (the Plex iTunes Scanner) which is a quick and easy way to scan in your iTunes collection much more quickly than using the regular music scanner. In under 50 lines of code, too.
- NEW: Other metadata loading/saving performance speedups.
- NEW: Location header exposed to CORS requests.
- NEW: Added a new advanced preference (TranscoderDefaultDuration) for specifying default duration for Flash/Silverlight videos. Useful for videos that exceed two hours in duration.
- NEW: Added a new advanced preference (TranscoderTempDirectory) for specifying the temporary directory for the transcoder. Useful for all those with SSD drives.
- NEW: (DLNA) Add support for device matching on serial number and manufacturer fields. Really, guys, did you implement the spec in a slightly different way on purpose? Just to mess with us?
- FIX: Music scans refreshed artists/albums for no good reason, again and again. Think of it like a nervous golden retriever which kept poking the dead squirrel. Bad dog. Sit. Stayyyy.
- FIX: Minor fixes and memory leaks in the Quicksilver transcoder.
- FIX: Do scanning depth-first instead of breadth-first. Details matter.
- FIX: Make sure we return not-deleted media items before deleted media, fixes iOS playback failure in some rare cases.
- FIX: Pass back the correct deletedAt time in the metadata item.
- FIX: Be careful not to overwrite good GUIDs, could lead to episodes losing poster/status when replacing SD ones with HD, e.g.
- FIX: A case where certain audio files could fail to analyze, causing repetitive analysis during audio scans. Points for persistence!
- FIX: Fixed a deadlock when calling into the system bundle early in startup.
- FIX: Fixed a hang scanning DVR-MS content. We’ve been doing lots of work lately to get those files to scan in properly, we’ll be pushing new scanner/agents shortly! Thanks, Ian, you know who you are.
- FIX: Pass more hints along to agents, useful for WTV work.
- FIX: Browsing by rating wasn’t exactly right.
- FIX: Failure to log in certain cases on OS X.
- FIX: (DLNA) Getting metadata can result in empty parent ID.
- FIX: (DLNA) Lack of posters on PS3 (really fixed this time, so sorry).
- FIX: (DLNA) Tweak to album art for XBoxes. (XBoxen?)
- Release Date: Jun 20, 2012
- NEW: Added a new advanced preference option to allow remote networks access to PMS without myPlex. You can designate a list of IP/netmasks which are allowed in. We’ll have more information about how to configure this here shortly.
- NEW: Add basic CORS support for web clients.
- NEW: (DLNA) Profile option to override device fields.
- NEW: (DLNA) DlnaDeviceDiscoveryInterval can now be set to 0 to disable device detection.
- NEW: (DLNA) Sections shared from remote servers now includes the server name.
- NEW: (DLNA) Support matching devices by other device properties than friendly name.
- NEW: (DLNA) Ship DLNA profiles with PMS builds instead of Framework builds.
- NEW: (DLNA) Emit icons using alternative resolutions.
- And a bunch of most excellent fixes:
- FIX: Skip publishing IP addresses from virtual interfaces.
- FIX: Be faster about extracting thumbnails.
- FIX: Fix the scanner hanging with 100% CPU scanning some evil AVIs.
- FIX: (Win) Fix crash when playing some Flash/Silverlight video.
- FIX: Notify HTTP clients that we close the connection.
- FIX: Only write the amount requested with HTTP range requests.
- FIX: Calculate bitrate for videos in a more accurate fashion.
- FIX: Scanner is smarter about need to reanalyze media.
- FIX: A few small memory leaks fixed in scanner.
- FIX: Crashes scanning some IMG/ISO files.
- FIX: Overeager timeout when waiting for transcoded content.
- FIX: iTunes plug-in crashes with invalid input key.
- FIX: (Linux) Crash related to VMware network interfaces.
- FIX: (Linux) rsync fixes.
- FIX: (Linux) DLNA crashes on certain systems with ancient compilers.
- FIX: (DLNA) Non-local servers will display server name along with section titles.
- FIX: (DLNA) PNs not being set for audio, fixes playback on PS3.
- FIX: (DLNA) Folders now show up in the folders view.
- FIX: (DLNA) Posters weren’t showing up on PS3.
- FIX: (DLNA) DLNA server now cleans up correctly when shutting down.
- FIX: (DLNA) Xbox now supports transcoded jpeg as icons and thumbnails.
- FIX: (DLNA) Set seek flags for audio/video (regression).
- FIX: (DLNA) Metadata for iTunes content now set properly.
- Release Date: Jun 6, 2012
- Please refer to this blog post, http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/06/04/plex-media-server-v0-9-6-3/, for a list of what's new
- Release Date: May 19, 2012
- Please refer to this blog post, http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/05/18/plex-media-server-v0-9-6-2-plex-v0-9-5-3/, for a list of what's new
- Release Date: Nov 29, 2011
- Please refer to this blog post, http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/11/28/plex-media-center-v9-5-2-smoked-wild-boar-edition/, for a list of what's new
- Release Date: Jul 28, 2011
- Please refer to this blog post, http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/07/28/plex-v0-9-3-4-mo-fixes-mo-barkley/, for a list of what's new
- Release Date: Apr 14, 2011
- Please refer to this blog post, http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/04/13/plex-v0-9-2-7-tweaks-and-fixes/, for a list of what's new
- Release Date: Mar 29, 2011
- Please refer to this blog post, http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/03/29/plex-v0-9-2-6-a-little-something-for-everyone/, for a list of what's new
- Release Date: Mar 22, 2011
- FIX: Scans wouldn’t bring in new content.
- FIX: Deleting the trash would crash the media server.
- FIX: The Media Server would crash on start if you had certain plug-ins installed with bogus XML.
- FIX: In certain cases, a scan would result in multiple movies showing the same name/poster.
- FIX: A few fixes for soft deletion, including merged movies not showing the /!\ icon.
- FIX: Changing the view type in Unwatched Shows would change the view type for episodes.
- FIX: Possible fix for an OS X Lion crash (Plex is still unsupported on Lion).
- FIX: Plex should now pick DTS/AC3 tracks over stereo when connected to a receiver.
- FIX: When you play a video via iOS application, screen saver is turned off on Plex.
- FIX: [Win] Issue with the transcoder, many videos wouldn’t play.
- FIX: [Win] Posters for seasons/episodes not displaying.
- FIX: [Win] Customization of application support directory wasn’t working.
- Release Date: Mar 18, 2011
- NEW: Universal Search.
- NEW: Direct Play and Direct Streaming for clients.
- NEW: Subtitle support in agents, and streaming subtitles from server to clients (SRT/SMI/SSA).
- NEW: Support for secure access via Web Media Manager.
- NEW: Turbo Scanning (option-click to do regular “deep” scan).
- NEW: Soft Deletion.
- NEW: Added the By Folder second level menu.
- NEW: Support for our Bonjour replacement, known as G’Day Mate (GDM). Easy discovery!
- NEW: [Win] Support for storing application support files anywhere.
- FIX: The “Add Application” button was broken.
- FIX: Don’t refresh metadata every two weeks.
- FIX: In rare cases a Python process would take 100% CPU.
- FIX: “Unwatched” section second title was incorrect.
- FIX: Browsing for subtitles on Plex for Mac client.
- FIX: Flash 10.1/10.2 works now.
- FIX: With newer Flash installed, PMS is not restarted after 5.1 audio (as Flash but was fixed).
- FIX: Refresh works with local media agent even if media isn’t matched (for subs, posters).
- FIX: [Win] Various crashes (shutdown, during scans)
- FIX: [Win] Issue with dialogs popping up asking you to insert drive.
- FIX: [Win] Updated to latest transcoder, fixing lots of issues.
- FIX: [Win] Make sure we don’t conflict with installed Pythons.
- FIX: [Win] Lack of season/episode posters.
- FIX: Movies with ratings of 10 don’t show up under “5 stars”
- FIX: Any “phantom” media in the database is whacked after a scan.
- FIX: Don’t let the machine sleep while transcoding.
- FIX: Empty machine name crash.
- FIX: Support for audio playback from Android with security enabled.
- FIX: Add countries and producers tags to metadata models.
- FIX: Media is downloaded on metadata refresh, and always kept around.
- Release Date: Dec 19, 2010
- FIX: Media thumbnailing functionality was broken. Totally my fault, we’ve been making builds of Plex Media Server for other platforms (*hint hint wink wink*) and I accidentally left it disabled in the OS X build. Whoops.
- FIX: Minor fixes for Plex ffmpeg (MPEG-TS memory leak, fix for Blu Ray subtitles).
- FIX: There was an issue starting some MP4 streams in plug-ins (e.g. Earth Touch and MSNBC). Thanks to Sander for helping us diagnose the issue and test the fix!
- FIX: Unmatching an item wasn’t resetting posters and other graphics correctly.
- FIX: Second level movie sections weren’t showing custom backgrounds.
- FIX: On occasion, secondary lists of sections would show up without a background (thanks, Scott!)
- Release Date: Dec 12, 2010
- Release Date: Nov 26, 2010
- NEW: Allow sorting based on date added.
- NEW: Keyboard accelerators for clipboard operations.
- NEW: Optional dock icon (set in Preferences).
- NEW: Home movies section works much better: ratings/view status/resume is now remembered, and of course you can edit all the metadata.
- FIX: Resume offset/view status now remembered for media even if it’s not matched.
- FIX: Stuttering issue with VIDEO_TS media, previously released in hot-fix form.
- FIX: Recently Viewed Shows wasn’t working.
- FIX: Lower CPU usage when refreshing TV shows.
- FIX: Seasons/episodes views weren’t getting graphics from the media server.
- FIX: Cases where a scan failed and we deleted lots of media out of the library.
- FIX: Crash in the scanner with a bogus AVI file.
- FIX: Posters/art not appearing when searching for movies.
- FIX: Tweaks in Plex to hopefully not “lose” sections and plug-ins (more fixes forthcoming).
- Release Date: Oct 29, 2010
- FIX: Metadata wasn't loading in some cases ("Strange, no title" error).
- FIX: Aspect ratio with SD content with HW decode was sometimes wrong.
- FIX: Support for resuming and picking one of multiple items.
- FIX: iTunes uses less CPU reading new XML, and is available while read is happening in the background.
- FIX: When a scanner fix corrects a episode's date, the change is now picked up with a refresh.
- FIX: Hang hitting 'i' for a stacked video.
- FIX: Some support for watched status and stacked files.
- FIX: Update the ffmpeg version, should help with stuttering in some cases.
- FIX: Playing VIDEO_TS folders with non-english characters in the path.
- Release Date: Oct 24, 2010
- NEW: Cast information restored to movie information dialog in Plex for Mac.
- NEW: Ability to choose a specific piece of media to watch (e.g. HD, SD) if you have multiple media items. (You can disable this in Preferences > Video.
- NEW: Added back “By Albums” in iTunes plug-in. Sometimes all you need is a little more cowbell.
- NEW: Allow splitting apart TV Shows and Movies in the media manager. You can see an example here.
- NEW: Added an “Unwatched” section for Movies and TV Shows.
- NEW: Added “By Album” in music library sections.
- NEW: Allow browsing for on-disk graphics (posters/art) in the Media Manager.
- NEW: Support for volume control in new remote control protocol.
- NEW: Display number of items for each piece of media (e.g. if you have SD and HD versions of a movie). If you sort by items descending it’s a good way to see if you have any duplicated media (Reveal in Finder will show all of them) or if the agents have mistakenly matched two different pieces of media to the same thing. Yes, I’m really this disorganized, or at least I was until now!
- NEW: Searching for matches in the media manager is now asynchronous and can be cancelled. Death to beach balls!
- NEW: In Preferences > Transcoding, we’ve added an option to offer higher bitrates over 3G.
- NEW: In Preferences > Library, you can optimize your database.
- FIX: That dratted issue with posters and art continually re-downloading off the Internet. The Plex Media Server is now the single entity that downloads the graphics, and all the clients request from it. Expirations have been fixed, and other improvements around caching have been made. The bottom line is that, while not perfect, it should be much, much better. N.B. As part of this change, it’s of course going to have to download everything one last time in order to transition over to this new scheme.
- FIX: Leopard crash on start (thanks, Ryan!). Also a crash on start when your computer didn’t have a name. And a few other crashes on start.
- FIX: Stuttering playback (mostly with HD media). In some cases the cache size was being set incorrectly based on bad analysis, and this could lead to stutters during playback.
- FIX: Anamorphic videos fix for iOS. Additionally, anamorphic MP4 files play correctly on Plex for Mac (thanks, Ryan!).
- FIX: High CPU usage during scan, which could cause stuttering during playback as well.
- FIX: Plug-ins could go missing in Plex when starting at same time as PMS.
- FIX: We now quit the Scanner if the Media Server quits.
- FIX: When detecting a rename, we upload location the in the database, otherwise media gets whacked when removing old location.
- FIX: When a duplicate episode was found, it lost the “addedAt” time (making it disappear from “recently added”).
- FIX: Allow backspace to exit the weather section, preferences, and a few other places where you could get stuck with the iOS app.
- FIX: The “-1″ year issue in list view.
- FIX: Better handling of locked database file.
- FIX: In certain cases, stacked movies were not played in the right order.
- FIX: Sometimes partial fanart files were displayed, leading to corrupted images being displayed.
- FIX: Better handling for audio/video distinguishing in iTunes for foreign languages.
- FIX: Allow changing metadata agent settings when there are no sections.
- FIX: Video podcasts passed back as Video elements instead of Track.
- FIX: Hebrew subtitles were displaying punctuation incorrectly.
- FIX: The word “dvdmedia” was displayed at the end of the movie title.
- FIX: Occasionally startup issues could result in agents not showing up, improve the recovery from this.
- FIX: Issue on startup, due to space in home folder.
- FIX: Videos stopping randomly in the middle of play.
- FIX: A few tweaks to the Media Server’s menu bar, to make canceling a library refresh possible, and to make it harder to accidentally start one.
- FIX: iTunes/iLife plug-ins mysteriously disappearing.
- FIX: Lots of crashes while scanning and analyzing media, including some MP3s.
- FIX: The Media Server starts (and installs) on a machine without Internet.
- FIX: We fixed a .BUP/.IFO ordering issue which could cause a crash when playing a VIDEO_TS movie. You’ll need to remove and add the section to fix the ordering (but you won’t lose view state/progress doing so).
- FIX: A buffer overflow issue reported by d1dn0t, which also caused crashes when navigating into some plug-ins.
- FIX: Adding library sections from the command line wasn’t working (thanks, Atrus!).
- FIX: The library would occasionally refresh continually.
- FIX: Crash of the iOS app near the end of a video.
Version 0.9.0.21 ever-hotter-fixer
- Release Date: Oct 24, 2010
- Please refer to this blog post: http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/10/23/plex-v0-9-1/ on a full list of changes
Version 0.9.0.21 Hotfix
- Release Date: Sep 28, 2010
- FIX: Occasional crash on start.
- FIX: Issue with TV/Movie search/updates hanging.
- FIX: A rare issue where the server would get stuck exiting, and required a reboot (which seems like an OS X issue).
- FIX: GUI weirdness using the new asynchronous “fix match” dialog.
- Release Date: Sep 25, 2010
- Please refer to this blog post for more information: http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/09/24/plex-media-server-hot-fix-released/
- Release Date: Aug 31, 2010
- Please refer to this blog post for more information: http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/08/30/plexnine-has-been-released/
- Release Date: Nov 20, 2009
- NEW: Plug-in preferences show up on the context menu for the plug-in itself.
- NEW: Auto-sourcing of remote Plex Media Server iLife plug-ins. Let’s say you have a laptop with iTunes music, or your wife’s iMac has iPhoto on it. No longer do you have to manually add the sources, or wonder if they’ll work when you click on them. With the new version, sources add and remove themselves auto-magically thanks to Bonjour. Make sure you install the new Plex Media Server on the remote machines.
- FIX: A bug where Plex and the Plex Media Server could get out of sync and display the wrong contents for a directory.
- FIX: An issue when stopping music playback, where the GUI “clicks” don’t restore and the playing track is still selected.
- FIX: Photo thumbnails were broken for plug-ins (thanks to orr721 for the report!)
- FIX: Hitting the menu button during a blank slideshow causes a crash. (thank to Majkel and other for the report!)
- FIX: When a track fails to play, Plex jumps into (blank) Now Playing screen anyway.
- FIX: Sometimes the photo screensaver started going “crazy fast”.
- FIX: The new remote code logged too much.
- FIX: The duration didn’t show up in plug-ins.
- FIX: You weren’t returned to the main menu correctly from items added to your Favorites, or direct links to plug-ins in the Music section. Existing favorites will need to be removed and re-added. (James)
- FIX: The iTunes plug-in now sorts artists by the “sort artist” field in iTunes. This one is for Scott!
- FIX: Crashes with WebKit plug-ins that appear in the Music section.
- FIX: PlexHelper occasionally stopped responding (or responded incorrectly) to button presses.
- FIX: Sometimes Plex didn’t start after the first run. Believe it or not, this was an OS X bug, now worked around.
- FIX: Plex hung when using the mouse wheel to scroll through text (thanks to hqrs for the report!)
- FIX: Changed the servers in the TVDB scraper to use the load balanced ones. (many thanks to kruisje for the fix!)
- FIX: Fixed a crash loading some RAW files.
- FIX: DTS-to-AC3 was broken in the last release. Thanks to our audio doctor Ryan who fixed it and improved the AC3 trancoding in the process.
- FIX: When you select “previous track” it now does the right thing with streamed content: moving to the start of the track or the previous track depending on how far along the track is (awesome, James!)
- Release Date: Oct 27, 2009
- NEW: James revamped Plex shutdown options, adding a beautiful UI that allows quitting, sleeping, or powering off after a specified time. Check out the screencast below to see it in action.
- NEW: One of the longest-running complaints about Plex has been the low volume when listening to downmixed 5.1 audio. We’ve added three levels of dynamic range compression (in Preferences > System > Audio): Normal, Large, and Huge. These settings apply only to AC3 and DTS downmixed audio, and the Large and Huge settings can introduce (usually subliminal) clipping. This one is for you, Aayush!
- NEW: Captions for iPhoto photos, and EXIF comment tag also used for captions.
- NEW: We’re using Felix’s new Apple Remote code (thanks to Evan for integrating it!). This provides, as Apple would say “improved compatibility”. One note: we recommend using the Candelair driver even on Leopard, because it can help resolve cases in which the Apple Remote loses exclusive access with the Apple driver.
- NEW: Toggle full screen option on dock menu (thanks to Billy Joe).
- NEW: Support for one-click install of plug-ins. You can now easily install plug-ins off the web without having to copy files all over the place.
- NEW: Support for auto-refresh in directories.
- NEW: Context menus in plug-ins.
- NEW: Rating support for plug-ins, with support for community/system ratings as well as user ratings. This feature was used to great effect by David B in the upcoming update of our Netflix plug-in. Here’s an unrated movie and us rating it via the context menu item.
- NEW: Upgrade Plex WebKit libraries to 4.0.3.
- NEW: Allow passing back User Agent (makes Apple Movie Trailers work again).
- FIX: On Snow Leopard, 5.1 audio had issues. We’ve cleaned up the code, fixed the problems, and it now runs great on 10.6. Many thanks to Ryan for all his work on this one.
- FIX: We fixed an issue with the new caching system that could cause some MKVs and other files to stutter when played over the network.
- FIX: Video playlists work again.
- FIX: Multi-part videos display thumbnails again.
- FIX: Crash reading GPS EXIF data from photos.
- FIX: Fix for crash when displaying subtitles (Thanks, Billy J!)
- FIX: A few crashes in the Media Server (custom iTunes genre artwork, and playing Netflix movies).
- FIX: First WebKit play on a fresh install didn’t work.
- FIX: App Store would sometimes not show up on a fresh install.
- FIX: GForce visualizer for iTunes causes Plex to crash.
- FIX: TVDB image issue (thanks to Poldi!)
- FIX: Posters issue in IMDB scraper (thanks, Jay!) and issue with cast lists (thanks to Todd G!)
- FIX: DTS downmixing method reverted to use libdts. People who listen on headphone *may* be happier.
- FIX: Make keyboard backlight feature optional (James). You can access this setting in the advanced Cocoa preferences area under the Videos tab.
- Release Date: Aug 11, 2009
- NEW: Allow Plex Media Server photo sources to be used for the slideshow screensaver. It’s kind of nice to have a subfolder of Web Gallery of Art as your screensaver, your date will be impressed.
- NEW: This has been a popular request for those of you without surround receivers. We’ve added a new setting that links OS X sound volume with Plex sound volume. This means that you can use your Apple Remote for *all* of your volume changes, including all the WebKit plug-ins. (For those of you with surround receivers, you’ll continue to use your receiver’s remote for all of your volume changes.)
- NEW: This is one that’s bothered me for ages. Setting the cache size in Megabytes is really silly, because the amount you want to cache depends on the bandwidth of the content. For example, if you set it high, your Apple Movie Trailers might play without stuttering, but then that low bandwidth FLV would take forever to buffer. With this version, we’re introducing Bandwidth-based Caching®, which dynamically adjusts the size of the cache depending on the needs of the stream. The result: lower bandwidth streams start faster, and higher bandwidth streams play with less stuttering. Also as a consequence, the cache settings now look quite a bit more simple. You simply specify the number of seconds of media that you would like to cache.
- NEW: Greatly improved responsiveness when browsing. Things like entering or leaving a big list of items (e.g. iTunes artists list) that could hang the entire interface for 5-15 seconds are now instant.
- NEW: Thanks to James, the keyboard backlight turns off during videos playing so you can grope your date more easily.
- NEW: Maverick214 on the forums submitted a great patch for displaying the end time for videos. Always nice to know how much longer you’re going to be tortured watching So You Think You Can Dance.
- NEW: We’ve added a “Shuffle” context menu item for the photos area.
- NEW: Do you like having your cake and eating it too? Do you like the Now Playing screen, but wish you could induce epileptic fits in your pets with the visualizer at the same time? Luckily for you, Scott was stuck on a plane, armed with a laptop and he hacked together this perfect marriage. Not for you? Simply select the “Hide Now Playing in Visualizer” in the Skin settings.
- NEW: Improved Snow Leopard support. There are still a few glitches, but Plex now runs quite well on the new kitty.
- NEW: James cleaned up the shutdown options for Plex. In the skin settings, you can select which of Quit, Sleep, or Shut Down appears on the main menu. If you want to access the other choices, you simply hit “right” to pick another option. If you have your Harmony remote mapped to something custom, you can use the actions Plex.Quit, Plex.SleepSystem, and Plex.ShutDownSystem.
- NEW: We display error messages when an item fails to play (as opposed to silently returning to the menu).
- Along with all these additions, we’ve fixed quite a few bugs:
- FIX: Manually added PMS sources can be removed via context menu (James).
- FIX: The default folder for the slide show was set to “F:/” (#303)
- FIX: Fixed an issue when Auto-Subtitles are enabled, we weren’t allowing manual activation of other subtitles if they were automatically disabled.
- FIX: Crash in the Media Server in iTunes plug-in.
- FIX: James made some minor tweaks to menu/keyboard handling, so that the ‘Move focus to the menu bar’ command (mapped to ^F2) works, and also ?W now closes the About window.
- FIX: We now scrobble to Last.fm as “Plex”.
- FIX: Thumbnails obtained from the Plex Media Server are all stored in their own directory, and given a limited time to live, so that you shouldn’t need to go manually whack icons or fanart any more. In addition, thumbnails created by the Plex Media Server with Quick Look are also only cached for a limited amount of time.
- FIX: Removed the System Info window, which really wasn’t doing much good (thanks to James).
- FIX: Disable cross-fading by default (also thanks to James).
- FIX: Fixed an error in the keymap (thanks to Mickey for reporting, and James for fixing).
- FIX: The Plex Media Server quit confirmation dialog didn’t always appear on top (James).
- FIX: Improved A/V sync, those with senses tuned to this sort of stuff should find it better behaved.
- FIX: iTunes visualizers didn’t show elapsed time (thanks to Daniel for reporting it).
- FIX: Resume point for videos is now saved when quitting.
- FIX: Years weren’t showing up in IMDB matches.
- FIX: On updates or restarts, PlexHelper (and thus Apple Remote) could stop working.
- FIX: If you had the Plex Media Server set to “Always running” it would not start on boot.
- FIX: A crash starting a zoomed MKV (with software upscaling enabled).
- FIX: A crash on startup with audio device changes.
- Also, we’ve worked on the interaction between Plex and the Media Server, as well as the Python Framework. James just pushed the official v1.0 to the store, and he’ll be blogging about all the great changes in the final release. Note that all plug-in caches and data will be reset because of changes to the encoding, which means that you will need to re-enter login data into some plug-ins (we apologize for this).
- NEW: We now support redirection from HTTP to RTMP, MMS, and WebKit streams.
- NEW: Site configurations can live inside plug-ins.
- NEW: We check for other Python files changing besides __init__.py inside of Contents/Code.
- NEW: Seek bars are allowed to specify small/large percentages to jump.
- NEW: Video items can specify bandwidth if they wish to override the automatically computed bandwidth (also useful for some FLV files where it’s not possible to extract it).
- NEW: You can pass back cookies from the Media Server to Plex, which is useful for accessing authenticated content.
- FIX: The Preferences item refreshes parent, useful for displaying/hiding sub-menus based on logged in status (James)
- FIX: String keys are now allowed for album media items.
- FIX: The Plex Media Server would crash if a site configuration moved to an unknown state.
- FIX: Showing a message dialog at the top level of a plug-in didn’t work right.
- FIX: The Media Server didn’t forward requests to the right plug-in when they shared a common prefix (James)
- Release Date: May 24, 2009
- Remember how when Windows 3.0 came out, it really sucked, and it wasn’t until 3.1 that Microsoft got things right? Well, I’d like to think of this release (download here) as being the “Windows 3.1″ release of Plex. We’ve fixed a lot of issues, and this version should be much more stable than the previous one. Additionally, the people who were staying with v0.7.13 because of issues with BluRay rips in subsequent versions can now download this version without fear.
- FIX: Idle CPU reduced greatly. On an iMac we went from 24% to around 9.8%. On a 1.83GHz Mini we went from 38% to 16%. Al Gore is happy.
- FIX: Hang when playing WebKit content after 5.1 content.
- FIX: A few issues causing App Store/plug-ins to disappear.
- FIX: Hang on exit (when Media Server Scrobbler was enabled).
- FIX: Cannot play/browse AC/DC (and other artists with funky names) from the iTunes library. Heavy metal fans rejoice!
- FIX: Scrobbling plays of AAC files to the Plex Media Server wasn’t working.
- FIX: Crash on start when Plex Media Server was run on a computer without Plex.
- FIX: Intermittant lack of audio when starting 5.1 videos when background music/themes was enabled. (We also disabling the fading, which was not helping.)
- FIX: VC-1 apparent regression in ffmpeg 0.5 which caused much higher CPU usage and related problems. Ryan and I resolved it by reverting to an earlier version of the codec. Thanks to Peter for bringing the issue to our attention, and to Aaron for help in tracking it down.
- FIX: View Slideshow context menu items weren’t enabled for top-level photo plug-ins.
- FIX: Jay and Isaac tweaked the default settings for IMDB to make sure the best quality posters are returned.
- FIX: James made some tweak to Now Playing. The flip time is now configurable in the Advanced Settings Cocoa UI (Make it flip every 5 seconds! Make your child and/or pets motion sick!) Additionally, the background is more in line with look of MediaStream.
- FIX: We’ve defaulted the automatic audio stream selection to false, as we think that default makes more sense (Thanks, Isaac! You can turn it off manually yourself in the video player preferences.) We also fixed an issue with the auto-selection of subtitles if the auto-selection of audio streams was disabled.
- FIX: We pulled the latest libdcr code which decodes RAW images (it fixes some pink-hue issues with newer cameras).
- FIX: As forum user “someone” reported, the German strings were botched in the previous version.
- FIX: Sébastien Vaast kindly send us updates to the French translation.
- FIX: Relative coordinates on “thumb” seek-bars were broken, many thanks to Robert Nio for reporting the issue and testing the fix.
- FIX: We pulled the latest XBMC UPnP code, in hopes this would help with some problems reported on the forums. We also pulled a fix related to the sendkey HTTP-API command, and a few other fixes.
Version 0.7.15 beta
- Release Date: May 12, 2009
- Please refer to this blog post on a full list of changes
Version 0.7.14 beta
- Release Date: Apr 24, 2009
- Please refer to this blog post on a full list of changes
Version 0.7.13 beta
- Release Date: Apr 8, 2009
- Please refer to this blog post on a full list of changes
Version 0.7.12 beta
- Release Date: Mar 11, 2009
- FIX: Hulu playback was broken when the site exploited a bug in our code, which has now been fixed.
- NEW: Support for variably-sized Flash/Silverlight content (and also for sizes changing on the fly). You can now specify negative values in the site configuration for cropping, mouse operations, and in seekbars. A negative X or width value indicates the number of pixels from the right, and a negative Y or height value specifies negative pixels from the bottom. (Specifying 0 for width/height means “the entire width/height”, this should help for sites such as Vimeo.)
- NEW: We’ve moved the Plex Python plug-in framework into a plug-in named Framework.bundle (great idea, James!). Among other things, this fixes the issue with the code signature breaking on the Plex Media Server and the Leopard firewall getting upset about it. This also allows us to have multiple concurrent versions of the framework for backwards compatibility. We take this sort of thing very seriously, as we want you to be able to write plug-ins without fear of them breaking with API changes.
Version 0.7.11 beta
- Release Date: Mar 4, 2009
- FIX: Silly regression which resulted in you being left in an empty directory after installing from the app store (and a few other cases).
- FIX: Improved compatibility with certain Flash sites.
Version 0.7.10 beta
- Release Date: Mar 3, 2009
- FIX: Crashes in Plex Media Server with Safari Adblocker and other similar plug-ins.
- FIX: Pulled a fix from XBMC for variable framerate FLV files (important for a new plug-in).
- FIX: Crashes in Apple Movie Trailers with 5.1 audio (integrated Ryan’s excellent audio fixes).
- FIX: Some of the menu shortcuts were broken (thanks to migueld for pointing this out).
- FIX: Some other crashes in Plex Media Server with badly behaved or misconfigured sites.
- FIX: Much improved Swedish translation, with many thanks to atrus.
- FIX: Updated to the latest Amazon scrapers (thanks to John Lockwood).
Version 0.7.9 beta
- Release Date: Feb 27, 2009
- We just pushed a new release out which improves compatibility with some Flash sites, and to go along with it, Scott prepared a new version of the Hulu plug-in with some nice enhancements, including more fanart, better thumbnails, flattened movie hierarchy, and more results returned for specific shows.
Besides the known issue of the Plex Media Server not working with Safari Adblocker, if a plug-in stops working, it’s likely that the structure of the site changed. This doesn’t happen very frequently with most sites, but it’s a definite possibility. When this occurs, an entity we call the “Campfire Robot” springs into action automatically and tracks us down to let us know, and shortly thereafter we can push an update.
As such, if a site stops working, the best thing to do is to check the App Store for updates. If you have automatic updates turned on, check your install history to see if an update got installed while you were getting coffee.
To answer your question, no, we rarely sleep.
Version 0.7.8 beta
- Release Date: Feb 25, 2009
- FIX: Fixed permissions on the Plex binary to allow non-administrative users to run.
- FIX: Tweaks to the skin for upcoming Plug-ins.
- FIX: Some crashes and leaks in the Media Server.
- FIX: Fixed the scrapers/NFO issue, this time for real (many thanks to Isaac for all the hard work on this one!). We also include the TMDB scraper again.
- FIX: A regression where only the first iPhoto album showed up.
- FIX: Improved compatibility with Flash sites for the Media Server.
Version 0.7.7 beta
- Release Date: Feb 22, 2009
- Please refer to this blog post for a full list of changes
- Release Date: Feb 8, 2009
- FIX: iPhoto events sort by date, not by name.
- FIX: Slow access to media, marking unwatched/watched, etc.
- FIX: The HTTP receive timeout was increased to 15 seconds, to hopefully allow TVDB time to respond. Thanks to Todd L on the forums for suggesting this fix.
- FIX: IFO files weren’t showing up in DVD video directories.
- FIX: The MediaStream “Info List” view mode was tweaked to make the list the same size and positioning vertically as the regular list view.
- Release Date: Feb 6, 2009
- Please refer to this blog post for a full list of changes
- Release Date: Dec 28, 2008
- FIX: The audio dropout issue which was introduced in 0.7.2 should now be fixed.
- FIX: The corrupted German MediaStream strings.
- FIX: File size reporting bug in HTTP API has really been fixed this time.
- FIX: Some tweaks to “album artist” tags in Plex Media Server iTunes module. Thanks to zanex for helping explain what was wrong.
- FIX: Certain videos (FLV, YouTube, 22KHz MP3 tracks) played back at double-speed. Thanks to Ryan for explaining how to fix this one.
- Release Date: Oct 31, 2008
- Please refer to this blog post to see what's new in this release