MythTV is a GPL licensed suite of programs that allow you to build the mythical home media convergence box on your own using Open Source software and operating systems.
MythTV is a GPL licensed suite of programs that allow you to build the
mythical home media convergence box on your own using Open Source software
and operating systems. MythTV is known to work on Linux and Mac OS X
(PowerPC and Intel). It does not run on Windows.
MythTV has a number of capabilities. The television portion allows you to
do the following:
- You may pause, fast-forward and rewind live Television.
- You may install multiple video capture cards to record more than one
program at a time.
- You can have multiple servers, each with multiple capture cards in
them. All servers are centrally managed and all programs are scheduled by the
- You can have multiple clients (called "frontends" in MythTV parlance),
each with a common view of all available programs. Any client can watch any
program that was recorded by any of the servers, assuming that they have the
hardware capabilities to view the content; a low-powered frontend will not
be able to watch HDTV, for example. Clients can be diskless and controlled
entirely by a remote control.
- You may use any combination of standard analog capture card, MPEG-2,
MJPEG, DVB, HDTV, USB and firewire capture devices. With appropriate
hardware, MythTV can control set top boxes, often found in digital cable and
satellite TV systems.
- Program Guide Data in North America is downloaded from Zap2It.com, a
subsidiary of Tribune Media Services. This free service is called
DataDirect, and provides MythTV almost two weeks of scheduling information.
Program Guide Data in other countries is obtained using XMLTV. MythTV uses
this information to create a schedule that maximizes the number of programs
that can be recorded if you don't have enough tuners.
- MythTV implements a UPNP server, so a UPNP client should automatically
see content from your MythTV system.
Other modules in MythTV include:
- MythArchive, a tool to create DVDs
- MythBrowser, a web browser
- MythControls, an application to configure your remote control
- MythDVD, a DVD viewer / ripper
- MythFlix, a Netflix module
- MythGallery, a picture-viewing application
- MythMusic, a music playing / ripping application which supports MP3
- MythNews, a RSS news grabber
- MythPhone, phone and videophone using SIP.
- MythVideo, a media-viewer for content not created within MythTV
- MythWeb, which allows you to control your MythTV system using a web
browser. With MythWeb, you can schedule and delete recordings, change
keybindings and more. With proper security, you may even schedule a program
over the Internet and have it immediately acted on by the scheduler.
Input Files: DVB