This is the version history page for MKVtools. You can return to the main page for this software by clicking here.
- Version 3.7.0 (Mar 22, 2018)
- Version 3.6.6 (Oct 2, 2017)
- Version 3.6.5 (May 24, 2017)
- Version 3.6.4 (Nov 22, 2016)
- Version 3.6.3 (Oct 23, 2016)
- Version 3.6.0 (Jul 12, 2016)
- Version 3.5.3 (Dec 7, 2015)
- Version 3.5.1 (Oct 25, 2015)
- Version 3.5.0 (Oct 20, 2015)
- Version 3.4.4 (Jun 24, 2014)
- Version 3.4.3 (Jun 1, 2014)
- Version 3.4.2 (Apr 25, 2014)
- Version 3.4.1 (Mar 3, 2014)
- Version 3.4 (Feb 23, 2014)
- Version 3.3.1 (Aug 10, 2013)
- Version 3.3.0 (Jul 29, 2013)
- Version 3.2.4 (Jan 31, 2013)
- Version 3.2.3 (Jan 15, 2013)
- Version 3.2.2 (Jan 5, 2013)
- Version 3.2.1 (Jan 1, 2013)
- Version 3.2 (Dec 10, 2012)
- Version 2.4.7 (Sep 3, 2011)
- Version 2.4.4 (Dec 15, 2010)
- Version 2.4.3 (Nov 16, 2010)
- Version 2.4.2 (Oct 19, 2010)
- Version 2.4.1 (Oct 13, 2010)
- Version 2.4 (Oct 7, 2010)
- Version 2.3.1 (Jul 14, 2010)
- Version 2.3 (Jul 7, 2010)
- Version 2.2.6 (Mar 16, 2010)
- Version 2.2.5 (Mar 7, 2010)
- Version 2.2.4 (Nov 24, 2009)
- Version 2.2.3 (Nov 24, 2009)
- Version 2.2.1 (Sep 2, 2009)
- Version 2.2 (Jul 22, 2009)
- Version 2.1 (Aug 19, 2008)
- Version 2.0 (Apr 28, 2008)
- Version 1.2 (Feb 3, 2008)
- Version 1.1 (Jan 15, 2008)
- Version 1.0.2 (Aug 23, 2007)
- Release Date: Mar 22, 2018
- Code updated to Swift 3
- Numerous High Sierra related bug fixes.
- Release Date: Oct 2, 2017
- Updated the ffmpeg binary to the latest version.
- The default audio option is set to pass thru if none is selected
- Release Date: May 24, 2017
- Updated/Improved the transfer of subtitles to SUBtools
- Fixed a bug that could cause an error when trying to mux in a subtitle file
- In the Settings Presets, the "Add 2-Ch. Track" now correctly uses the "If Stereo" bitrate
- Fixed a bug where log files were created for some processes regardless of preference settings
- Release Date: Nov 22, 2016
- Fixed a bug that prevented files from opening for some users.
- Release Date: Oct 23, 2016
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when a large number of files were edited
- Some minor GUI changes with the Edit Files tab functionality
- Added a Debug Mode option in preferences to turn on logging to the console app
- Release Date: Jul 12, 2016
- Updated to Swift 2
- High potential for random bugs
- Added a "Send Bug Report" option in the help menu
- Turned off compiler optimizations that would cause random crashing
- Added a pseudo store window to streamline the registration process
- Can now double click in the jobs queue to go to the output file
- Made various bug fixes with the "Q" popup
- Fixed various bugs with adding multiple files to the jobs queue
- Release Date: Dec 7, 2015
- Deleted a stray button matrix in the subtitle filter popup.
- Fixed a bug that could change the username when updating on systems with macports installed.
- Restored creation of default track titles.
- Release Date: Oct 25, 2015
- Fixed a bug that caused crashing on start up for some users.
- Release Date: Oct 20, 2015
- The preferences has changed so you will need to re-enter your registration code and other preferences.
- Most of the code updated to Swift
- Preference panel reorganized
- Fixed and improved handling of files with problem tracks
- Can now open eye tv packages
- Developer ID signing added to make gatekeeper happy
- Release Date: Jun 24, 2014
- Release Date: Jun 1, 2014
- Really fixed 2-pass encoding this time
- Fixed a bug that could freeze processes as "Queued" on systems earlier than 10.9.x
- Release Date: Apr 25, 2014
- Fixed bug that could cause some 2-pass conversions to fail
- Fixed a bug that could cause the app to crash during track extractions
- Fixed a bug that could prevent conversions from working properly after track extraction jobs
- Release Date: Mar 3, 2014
- Fixed a bug that could make the convert button be ignored after a group of files had been added to the job queue
- Fixed a bug that disabled the "Play" button
- Fixed a Watch Mode bug that would prevent some files from being added to the queue
- Release Date: Feb 23, 2014
- Can now send subtitles to SUBtools (must be v1.0.b6 or higher) and back for quick editing and formatting fixes
- Added a "Q" button to allow the user to view and manipulate individual files when a group of files are opened
- Users can now specify in preferences whether or not to use Dolby Pro Logic II when surround sound is down mixed to 2-channels
- Fixed a bug that made the app appear to lock up while the fontconfig cache was being initialized
- Improved handling of .ts files
- Multiple bug fixes to track identification which should reduce issues when opening files
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused audio bitrates to being ignored.
- Fixed bug that prevented the "add 2-ch. track" from being applied
- Add the option to "keep" originals in presets
- Fixed bug that ignored times for splitting
- Threading related bug fixes that could cause freezes.
- Numerous Mavericks bug fixes
- Release Date: Aug 10, 2013
- Fixed a preventing the preferences panel from opening in OS X 10.6
- Release Date: Jul 29, 2013
- The bulk of the processing code has been updated to match the improvements in MP4tools
- A number of improvements to burning subtitles (e.g., internal pgs should now be supported)
- Code for identifying tracks has been updated to reduce some "MP4tools could not identify ..." messages.
- Added code to produce error log files for occurrences of "MP4tools could not identify ..." messages.
- Improved handling of M2TS/MTS/TS videos
- The Edit Tracks Tab has been removed. Most of it's functionality was redundant (Extract Tracks is now in the MP4 tab).
- Fixed a bug that could cause 2-pass encoding to fail
- Various bug fixes
- Release Date: Jan 31, 2013
- Fixed a bug that prevented the "Split" button from being enabled in Snow Leopard
- Fixed some permission issues that could effect users on computers with mulitple accounts
- Release Date: Jan 15, 2013
- Fixed a bug that sometimes occurred when multiple audio tracks were selected
- Fixed a bug that could cause MKVtools to crash during the muxing step
- Release Date: Jan 5, 2013
- Numerous watch mode fixes
- Release Date: Jan 1, 2013
- Fixed bug that would potentially freeze the application
- Improved and expanded watch mode
- subfolders are now "watched"
- watched files are no longer moved to a processing folder
- Numerous fixes to the setting presets
- Presets options now includes "None" for the video track
- Expanded filtering capabilities for the selections presets
- Release Date: Dec 10, 2012
- Code has been completely rewritten from applescript to Obj-C so the chance of lingering bugs is high :-).
- Improved general responsiveness of application
- Fixed bug causing the app to crash when multiple files were queued.
- Numerous fixes and improvements to joining.
- Joining (2 files max) can now be tested in the non-registered version. Open a file and then use the Add File button to add a file to join.
- Added checks for volume permissions and disk space
- Resolved registration issue with systems where macports had overwritten "user 501"
- Windows can be re-sized.
- Release Date: Sep 3, 2011
- Release Date: Dec 15, 2010
- Improved processing of vorbis audio tracks.
- Enabled processing of flac audio tracks.
- Enabled processing of Wavpack audio tracks.
- Improved conversion of avi videos.
- Fixed a bug where audio would not be converted to 2-Ch. for xbox.
- Various bug fixes.
- Release Date: Nov 16, 2010
- Fixed error that sometimes occured when opening the preferences window.
- Improved processing of hard subtitles.
- Improved processing of soft subtitles for iPhone/iPod, iPad and Apple TV
- SSA/ASS subtitles will now be converted to a format that can me muxed into .m4v videos.
- Files destined for iTunes are given an .m4v extension.
- Fixed potential errors when deleting tracks from MP4 files.
- Fixed potential errors when deleting tracks from MKV files.
- Various minor bug fixes
- Release Date: Oct 19, 2010
- New binaries for mencoder, mplayer, and mkvextract. Let me know if they're working OK.
- Should be able to extract (but not burn) pgs subtitle tracks into .sup files
- MKVtools now recognizes and can re-encode videos with VC-1 video track often found in makeMKV videos.
- Splitting by time interval is again an option.
- Release Date: Oct 13, 2010
- Multiple audio tracks should now be identifiable on Apple devices.
- New version of mp4box should do a better job of muxing files larger that 4GB.
- Release Date: Oct 7, 2010
- Major changes to the user interface.
- Improved handling of non-mkv videos.
- MKVtools will recognize MKV videos that have been created with header removal compression, which can cause problems with conversion and hardware/software playback. MKVtools can create a copy of these videos with this header compression removed.
- Can now add tracks from external files (e.g., subtitle files, audio tracks, ...) to the file to be processed.
- Can now extract and delete tracks from mp4 files.
- AVI videos can now be scaled.
- Users have the option to create mp4 files with dual audio (e.g., 5.1 track for apple TV and stereo for iphone)
- When able, MKVtools will now launch multiple threads.
- Fixed numerous bugs with the mp4 editing capabilities of MKVtools.
- Improved tool tips and codec warnings.
- Numerous under the hood bug fixes and a general streamlining of code.
- tsMuxer control is gone. Sorry. It may return in future versions.
- Improved the downmixing of 5.1 DTS audio.
- Fixed issues with the editing of mp4 pixel aspect ratios.
- Improved adjustments of AVC profile levels.
- Fixed localization issues to led to "xxx is not a number" errors.
- Release Date: Jul 14, 2010
- Subtitles from external files should now be displayed properly.
- Release Date: Jul 7, 2010
- MKVtools now accepts any type of video file that mencoder can process (avi, mp4, ... but not VIDEO_TS folders). So you can, for example, now burn srt subtitles into an avi file.
- MKVtools is now intel-only and will probably not work on systems before 10.5. Sorry!
- Lots of rewritten code so lots of potential places for bugs :-).
- MKVtools can be used to control tsMuxer to create .m2ts videos for imroved PS3 playback
- Need to download tsMuxer from the beta page and select the install tsMuxer option from MKVtools' help menu
- Fixed a bug that might cause stuttering on large mp4 files.
- 5.1 DTS and 5.1 AAC audio is now converted to 5.1 AC3 audio for Apple TV and DivX certified DVD players.
- Downmixing of 5.1 DTS audio to stereo is improved.
- 5.1 AC3 and 5.1 DTS audio is now converted to 5.1 AAC audio for PS3
- Can now "burn" external subtitle files into the output.
- the subtitle file must have the same name and be in the same location as the video file.
- Improved presets in a "Quick Conversion" box with one button conversions. MKVtools will guess at the best settings for the selected hardware output.
- Enabled "tool tips" for contextual help
- New version of mp4box should fix a variety of issues.
- New preferences window and options.
- Release Date: Mar 16, 2010
- Fixed a bug that prevented subtitles from "burning" in some mp4 videos.
- Release Date: Mar 7, 2010
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused muxing to fail with mpeg4 encoding.
- Fixed various other issues with encoding using the mpeg4 codec.
- Improved the changing of AVC profile levels for playback on PS3/xbox 360/ Apple TV
- Fixed an error where unwanted subtitles would be burned into some videos.
- Improved the progress reporting of jobs.
- Release Date: Nov 24, 2009
- Fixed an bug that prevented the extraction of tracks in certain situations.
- Release Date: Nov 24, 2009
- Hacked together a fix for audio problems with mkv files containing vorbis audio.
- Resolved issues on systems using commas for decimal separators (i.e., 23.456,78 vs. 23,456.78) which caused the application to always ask for video duration and FPS.
- Upgraded to a newer version of mplayer
- Release Date: Sep 2, 2009
- Added Snow Leopard compatibility
- Release Date: Jul 22, 2009
- Hacked together a newer version of mencoder for faster encoding.
- Can now process DTS audio.
- (Intel only) Eliminated the 2GB limit for mp4 file creation (there may still be a 4GB limit)
- AC3 audio can now be passed through to mp4 files. Note that only limited players can handle these files. The extension is changed to .m4v which tricks quicktime and itunes into playing the files (w/ perian installed).
- Updated the components of MKVtoolnix (mkvextract and mkvmerge) to version 2.3
- Alerts should now timeout so that batch jobs will continue
- Improved the handling of profile levels
- Various bug fixes
- Release Date: Aug 19, 2008
- Includes conversion presets for Apple TV, PS3, and Xbox 360
- Added a pass through option for video tracks when converting to .mp4
- Added the capability to change the avc level of passed thru h264 videos to 4.1 which may trick your device into playing the video without the need to re-encode
- Added the capability delete the tracks from.mkv files
- Added the capability split .mkv files
- Added the capability join, mux, and change the pixel aspect ratio of .mp4 files
- Can now select multiple audio tracks when converting to .mp4 files.
- Improved error checking and warnings for codec incompatibilities
- Release Date: Apr 28, 2008
- Name changed to MKVtools
- Added the capability to convert to .mp4 files
- Includes a preset for simple conversion to iPod/iPhone playback
- Includes a preset for conversion to Apple TV (still in beta so need feedback)
- Processing speeds should be dramatically increased with better use of multi-core processors
- Provides warnings for incompatible codec combinations
- Does a better job of handling multiple files dragged to the processor window
- Release Date: Feb 3, 2008
- Improved handling of H.264/AC3 videos
- Added compatibility with Mac Os X 10.4
- Release Date: Jan 15, 2008
- Now compatible with Leopard.
- Mplayer is now universal binary.
- Release Date: Aug 23, 2007
- Updated Mkvextract to v.2.0.0
- The help menu now include links to help page on this site