This is the version history page for DVDSubEdit, showing the last 20 software updates. You can return to the main page for this software by clicking here.
- Version 1.52 (Sep 7, 2011)
- Version 1.51 (Dec 11, 2009)
- Version 1.5022 (Jun 10, 2009)
- Version 1.501 (Mar 21, 2009)
- Version 1.5 (Sep 10, 2008)
- Version 1.41 (Jan 22, 2008)
- Version 1.4 (Nov 1, 2007)
- Version 1.38 (Mar 1, 2007)
- Version 1.37 (Dec 19, 2006)
- Version 1.36 (Nov 28, 2006)
- Version 1.34 (Sep 30, 2006)
- Version 1.33 (Jun 3, 2006)
- Version 1.322 (Apr 20, 2006)
- Version 1.32 (Apr 14, 2006)
- Version 1.3 (Mar 30, 2006)
- Version 1.2 (Mar 16, 2006)
- Version 1.1 (Mar 3, 2006)
- Version 1.0 Beta (Feb 21, 2006)
- Version 0.90 Beta (Feb 9, 2006)
- Version 0.85 Beta (Feb 1, 2006)
- Release Date: Sep 7, 2011
- Added code to save selected subpics as bitmap (code written by Uwe Kotyczka, thanks dude!).
- Added preference for drop-frame and non-drop-frame time display / saving.
- Fixed bug that caused "AutoClut" to be selected when sup files were opened even if the IFO was supplied.
- Release Date: Dec 11, 2009
- Added retiming for sup files.
- Added code to check that the auto clut does not have two identical
colors, and abort editing with external tool if it does.
- Added "invert selection" button.
- Added proper handling of "Delete" key in OCR edit box.
- Removed annoying warning about using autoclut when modifying subpics
with external tools and colors are ambiguous, and you're already using
- Added option in preference to disable "CLUT warning" during bitmap
export/import operations, when the bitmap only uses 3 colors.
- Added an option in preferences to show the absolute PTS time, or the
PTS relative to the first VOBU. It is customary in SUP file to display
the PTS relative to the first VOBU. However, in many cases, the absolute
PTS reflects the real display time of the subtitle in the movie.
- Added shortcut Ctrl-Shift-E to edit bitmap with external tool.
- Changed the default AutoClut colors so no two colors are identical.
- Made a change to fix problems arising with PAL subpics in NTSC
- Adjusted the area cut when removing words from subtitles.
- The play buttons are now disabled when loading a sup file.
- Sup files were sometimes created with a read-only flag. This is now
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash in some cases (e.g., only
changing force-start to normal-start) when saving.
- Fixed a problem that could cause DVDSE to hang when opening very
short VOB files.
- Fixed a problem with how buttons were displayed when not selected
and not activated.
- Fixed a few problems with start and end x/y values when
- The user manual has been updated for this version.
- Release Date: Jun 10, 2009
- Release Date: Mar 21, 2009
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash in some cases (e.g., only changing force-start to normal-start) when saving.
- Release Date: Sep 10, 2008
- Added support for real-time playback of video with audio and
subtitles. There are two new buttons that can be used to play the video
while displaying the subpictures. One plays the video normally, the other
one loops around the current subpic. There is a drop down in the
preferences for the frame-per-second adjustment, in case your machine is
running out of cycles when playing video (which is possible because
DVDSubEdit does not use the overlay buffer, and therefore consumes more
cycle than a normal video playback engine).
- Added support for VOB files larger than 1GB.
- Added an option to only select subpics that are fully transparent.
- Changed the behavior of the "Hide" button. Instead of making all
pixels transparent, it assigns all pixels to "background".
- Added better handling of non MPEG2 video (the video isn't displayed,
which avoids crashing!).
- Added an ini option (AutoForceDisplayVideo) to not automatically
display the video when opening VOBs etc.
- Finally fixed the problem of vertical moves by odd numbers of lines,
by swapping the top and bottom fields when the top field ends up below the
bottom field after a move. This should fix the problems with media player
classic and other players.
- Fixed a display problem that occurred when loading sup files with IFOs.
- Fixed a bug that occurred in the OCR when subtitles were present at
the top and at the bottom of the display, and one attempted to erase some
characters at the bottom.
- Fixed the wrong display of the number of MB scanned during the
scanning of a VOB file.
- Removed the "Not enough room for padding block" error (changed to a
warning in the log since it's not crucial anyway).
- When reloading from the MRU, the list of subpics is now updated as the
reloading takes place.
- Added better reporting of errors found in the subpic streams.
- If the user aborts while a vob file is being analyzed, the vob is no
longer put in the MRU.
- Fixed a (very old) bug that could cause a subpic that had been moved
down to cause a UI spillover when the background video wasn't displayed.
- Fixed a problem that could occur when no CLUT was found (no IFO file
- Fixed cosmetic problems related to showing or hiding the background
- Modified the way the subpic info is saved and loaded (for fast
reloading of previously scanned DVDs). This simplifies the code and the
file. As a result, the first time you run this version, none of your
recently-used files will be available for fast-reload.
- Fixed a bug in the "Save as sup file" function that prevented a new
sup file from being created.
- Added code to deal with a padding stream smack in the middle of our
subpic data, as seen in DVDs created by ConvertXtoDVD.
- Fixed a problem in the timecode display. The value didn't correspond
to the time shown in a player if the PTS of the first VOBU wasn't close to
- Release Date: Jan 22, 2008
- Fixed a serious bug that was introduced in version 1.40, which could cause errors in the saved subpic data if field 1 was encoded before field 0. Thanks r0lZ for finding the bug and providing the example!
- Fixed another serious bug that was introduced in version 1.40, which could also cause errors in the saved subpics! Thanks Comers for the help!
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when a sup file was dragged and dropped on the app.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a given VCID to appear multiple times in the VCID selection, when angles are present.
- Fixed the bad display of the button outlines in pan&scan and LB mode.
- Fixed a problem when editing bitmaps with SUP files, which could cause crashes.
- Added support for "Most Recently Used (MRU) files". The file menu now lets you quickly reload the last files you've previously loaded. A fast reload enables all normal functions, except for the retiming functions which require the files to be scanned from scratch.
- Implemented colorscheme display for menus. When displaying menu highlights, you can visualize the selected and activated states for each individual button. For now, use Ctrl-Q to toggle between selected and activated, and Ctrl-N / Ctrl-P to go to the next/previous button.
- During the in-place bitmap editing, if two pixels have the same color in the currently used CLUT, a message is issued, and CLUT changed to automatic. This is essential to ensure proper exporting/importing of subpic bitmaps.
- Command line support: passing a list of files now opens them all. This means you can now drag/drop a bunch of files on the app icon.
- Also added -A input command argument to let DVDSubEdit open the largest VTS (usually the movie). You can also pass video_ts.ifo (it has the same effect).
- Added a line 1/* in the VCID selector to select all vob cells with a given VOBID and any CELLID.
- Improved the error handling in the function to retime subpics.
- Subpics with bad commands are now better identified, and subsequently ignored (to avoid crashes).
- Release Date: Nov 1, 2007
- New export/import bitmap function: You can save the current subpic as a bitmap, (either 4-bit, or 24-bit). The subpic is saved ignoring transparencies, using the current CLUT.
- The bitmap size is the size of the video, and the subpic bitmap is placed as it would appear on a video display.
You can also import a bitmap into the current subpic. This will only work if there's enough room in the subpic packs to accomodate the encoded bitmap.
There is also a shortcut that saves the current subpic as a bitmap, opens your favorite bitmap editing tool, lets you edit it, then re-import it back into the subpic.
These functions make it possible to apply small changes to a subtitle, add things here and there, without the need to demux/remux the entire VOB files.
This is a HUGE time saver.
Be sure to read the doc (which has been updated) for details on this powerful new function.
- Changed the CLUT selection to a drop down with only 2 choices: The normal IFO CLUT, or the automatic CLUT (which attribute colors based on which pixel is used for text, background, outine and antialias). The old "Auto CLUT" wasn't useful at all.
- Clicking on a pixel type (such as "b" "p" "e1" or "e2") in the CLUT area temporarily shows that pixel with full opacity, hiding all other pixel types. This is very convenient to quickly see what pixel is used for the body of characters, for the background, etc.
- Added a slider to visualize any I-Frame within the duration of the subpic.
- Added a "Add Fade-in" function to add a fade to a subtitle. The fade-in lasts 1/8 of the total duration of the subtitle, and reaches the transparencies used in the original.
- Added a "Remove Fade-in" function to remove fade-ins.
- Added option in the preferences for the x-y crop borders.
- Added option in preferences to control how much larger the background rectangle is relative to the size of the subpic itself, when the "Crop Background" command is used.
- Added option in ini file to force vertical moves by even numbers of pixels. This is only useful for certain buggy players.
- Added rudimentary command line support: DVDSubEdit.exe FileName.VOB opens the single file FileName. Add -F to open the full domain.
- Added right-click context menu to command display area to save the subpic info for all selected subpics as a text file. This will allow complex searches in a text editor if desired.
- The zoom window can now show the subpic at a 1x or 2x magnification factor.
- The "apply to all" data is no longer reset after performing an "apply to all" operation. This will allow you to apply a set of modifications to all subpics in one stream, then again in another stream etc.
- If you attempt to change the duration of a subpic that has an infinite duration (no STP_DSPstop displaycommand), DVDSubEdit offers to add a STP_DSP command for you (which will enable you to adjust the duration).
- Added display of subpic number in its own stream (as opposed to in all streams).
- The goto function works as before if "All Streams" is selected. But if a particular stream is selected, it will go to subpic N in this stream.
- When changing the color index in a CLUT for a pixel type and applying to all, the change is now applied to all selected subpics, regardless of whether they use the same CLUT or not.
- Now using a better Y Cr Cb -> RGB mapping function, which yields a true white when Y=255 (Cr=Cb=0). Thanks r0lZ!
- Made the app return 0 upon exit, which gets rid of the warning you get if used as a tool in PGCEdit.
- In the hearing impaired removal code, any trailing space after "Man: " is now removed.
As well, times such as "8:30 pm" are no longer removed.
And text in all caps left of a colum as in "RADIO ANNOUNCER: " is also removed.
- The value displayed by the transparency slider when "all pixels" is selected now reflects the average of all *used* pixels (excluding the background).
- Fixed a transparency problem in the display (fully opaque subpics were not displayed as completely opaque)
- Fixed a problem with the duration slider that could occur if the PTS of the next subpic was smaller than the current one!
- The delay value in the DCSQT are now computed the right way (they point to a frame).
- When importing bitmaps, the commands are moved as far down as possible, and the data as far up as possible to make more room for the imported bitmap.
When adding a fade-in, the data is moved up to allow moving the commands up too (to make room for the fade).
- Release Date: Mar 1, 2007
- Improved the DCSQT selection mechanism:
- When selecting a DCSQT in a given subpic, the same DCSQT is selected
(if it exists!) in all selected SPUs.
- When making a modification to the transparency or color and applying
to all (or to another SPU), the same DCSQT is modified as in the
original, if it exists.
- If a given SPU does not have that DCSQT, it is not changed.
- Changing the transparency then pressing the Right or Left arrows
prevented applying the modification to all. Now fixed.
- Release Date: Dec 19, 2006
- The code to move the subpics by odd numbers of pixels is back in, and this time, it does work!
- Some people were having problems with a previous version that linked a missing export in kernel32.dll. This is now fixed.
- Release Date: Nov 28, 2006
- I reverted to not allowing moving subpics vertically by odd numbers of pixels, until I find the cause of the problems that some users are having..
- The subpic timecode is now updated after a re-timing operation.
- Release Date: Sep 30, 2006
- Pressing "Hide subpic" and applying to all didn't hide all subpics. This is now fixed.
- It's now possible to move subpics by odd numbers of pixels (imagine that!)..
- Release Date: Jun 3, 2006
- Added display of timing in the subpic info.
- Added ability to change the transparency or color in all DCSQT at
the same time.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when removing hearing impaired text.
- Fixed a crash that could happen upon startup on Win ME and Win 98.
- Added a quick fix for the startup crash problem. Put a line in your
ini file with NoSize=1 to avoid resizing the window on startup (which
causes a crash).
- Fixed a problem in the timing info saved in .srt files, thanks
mpucoder for the clarification.
- Cleaned up the GUI.
- Release Date: Apr 20, 2006
- Release Date: Apr 14, 2006
- Added slider to the retiming dialogs, and the preview shows the I-frame closest to target location for the current subpicture. The slider range can be changed in the preferences.
- You can now change the transparency of multipe pixels, and applly-to-all in just one shot (just like with color changes).
- Fixed the annoying interactions between "Ignore CLUT" and "Auto CLUT" check boxes.
- Cleaned up the way the "ShowVideo" check box behaves when loading VOBs and sups.
- The true bottom line detection is more reliable than before (hopefully!). Still not perfect.
- Added menu to open CoNS's hearing-impaired guide.
- If you cancel after changing the CLUT color, the original CLUT is now restored.
- Fixed a bug that was introduced in the previous version in the routine that detects brackets, which could cause good subtitles to be erased!
- Added a check to detect NTSC subpics in PAL video (that scenario previously crashed the app).
- Added a few error checks when loading subs, to avoid crashing when encountering malformed SPUs.
- Release Date: Mar 30, 2006
- Added ability to modify the IFO clut
directly from DVDSubEdit. Click a pixel tile, then shift-click in
the CLUT display.
- Added a "zoom" window that can show the
useful part of the bitmap with a 1:1 scaling.
- Added automatic selection of display mode when the user changes the
stream selection. This can be disabled in the .ini file.
- Added option to see OCR result on the original subpic (before any
modification). That's useful for checking what the Hearing-Impaired
removal tool does.
- Added checkbox in OCR setup to allow case-sensitive searches on OCR
- Added possibility to choose the default text and background colors
when in "AutoCLUT" mode.
- Added Preferences panel that includes general settings, OCR setup,
and Hearing-impaired tool setup. The panel now includes options to
change background color, alert if closed captions are found, and ask to
load IFOs when loading .sup files.
- Added OCR code to detect tied 'fl' 'ft' and 'fi'.
- The "Save all modifications" menu now also works for .sup files
(modifications are written back to the original .sup).
- Save all modifications now saves modification in *all* subpics (not
just the selected ones).
- Border settings are saved in the .ini file (C:\Documents and
Settings\YourName\Application Data\DVDSubEdit.ini). You can edit them to
change the default values.
- Fixed yet another stupid border problem with PAL movies.
- Fixed a few problem with the automatic recognition of
- Fixed a (rare) problem where the true subtitle bottom line was not
- Fixed a display mess-up when fast-reloading a PAL movie.
- Fixed an OCR problem that occured when some subpics were moved up.
- Fixed a bug that could cause operations on a subset of the SPUs to
- The built-in pdf user manual (F1) is more or less up to date.
- Release Date: Mar 16, 2006
- Added code to select an area in the OCR
output and erase it (both in the OCR output, and the bitmap).
- Added option to automatically remove text like "Man:" in subtitles
- Added option to adjust word detection in the OCR setup panel.
- Added Letterboxed and Pan&Scan video display
modes for 16:9 material.
- Added text in stream select to indicate which display mode(s) each
stream is intended for.
- Added option to only show forced subpics.
- Added a check box to show the I-frame closest to the selected SPU
end time (duration slider).
- Added a smarter check for figuring out the video format when
loading a .sup file.
- Added a warning in the log file if closed-captions are detected in
the MPEG stream.
- The function to remove hearing-impaired text now runs in its own
- Pressing Alt or Ctrl while dragging a subpic allows horizontal-only
or vertical-only moves.
- Fixed OCR problems. The list is too long to show.
- Fixed a crash that could happen in 1.1 if you moved a subpic all
the way down.
- Fixed a problem with the borders not adapting with PAL/NTSC video
- Fixed a scaling problem that cause the subpics to be slightly
cropped in no-video, full-screen mode.
- Fixed the safe-area values for the borders. Thanks to r0lZ for the
- Fixed the "keyboard input problem" (after a threaded operation (OCR
for example) the shortcuts didn't work).
- Fixed once and for all the progress dialog not disappearing if a
threaded operation finishes while the app is minimized.
Version 1.0 Beta
- Release Date: Mar 3, 2006
- Added an OCR setup panel with options for OCR, and hearing-impaired text removal.
- Added menus to hide/erase hearing-impaired text in subtitles. The remaining text can be optionally re-centered or realigned.
- GOCR now recognizes (most?) music notes. They are marked as '#' in the output text.
- Added ability to move subpics with the mouse. Just grab and move!
- Improved the display mechanism, it is now much much faster.
- DVDSubEdit now lets you reload individual (or all) SPUs from a sup file (undo).
- The "Open vob file" dialog now allows selecting several vobs.
- The various save and open dialogs (vob, sup, ppm and srt) now independently remember their default directories. Very convenient.
- When opening a sup file, the dialog to optionally load the IFO now defaults to the same directory the sup file was in.
- Added "Go to" field to go to a specific spu (Ctrl-G).
- Fixed common 'o'->'Q', 'V'->'Y', 'z'->'_', ':'->'_' OCR mistakes.
- Improved the OCR speed when the subpic background occupies the full frame.
- The "save as txt" function now saves as a proper .srt file.
- Added a couple shortcuts (Home and End now go to first and last SPU in current selection).
- Added display of "percent done" in progress dialog.
- The built-in pdf doc (shortcut: F1) is (nearly) up-to-date.
- Fixed a bug that caused the small progress dialog to not close properly if the main window was minimized.
- Last but not least: The file version number now matches the actuall version number :D (this one for blutach!)
Version 0.90 Beta
- Release Date: Feb 21, 2006
- Added code to crop subpic to the bare minimum width, allowing horizontal moving. This can be applied to all in the usual manner.
- Added option to move subpics flush with the nearest border when using borders to move subpics vertically..
- The main window is now resizable. I cleaned up a lot of the display code, in an attempt to make things faster and cleaner.
- The main window can also be minimized, or maximized, imagine that! The size and position are saved from session to session.
- DVDSubEdit no longer needs the CLUT to identify the pixels used for the characters.
- Added a "Automatic CLUT" check box to show the main text pixels in white, and all others in black.
- Added option to load an IFO file after loading a SUP file (this one just for CoNS!).
- Improved the OCR code, especially with regards to identifying word boundaries.
- Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash if you fast reloaded a vob that was no longer there.
- Fixed the infamous "display freezes, app starts writing all over" bug! A brush wasn't being released....
- DVDSubEditno longer crashes if you quit while running the OCR function.
- The "save subpic to ppm" option was shrinking the subpicture by a factor 2. This has been fixed.
- Removed the trailing '\n' at the end of the last line in the OCR output display.
Version 0.85 Beta
- Release Date: Feb 9, 2006
- Added code to move subpics left and right when possible! This can only be done, for now, if the background does not cover the entire picture.
- Added menu to load and save sup files. Note: you can't reload an individual subpic in that mode, or perform any re-timing.
- Added option to quickly reload the last set of vob files (without re-scanning) (see the "File" menu). You can't re-time in that mode.
- Added shortcut (Ctrl-T) to run OCR on the current subpic.
- Improved OCR code to better handle italics, and to better recognize brackets.
- Entering a value in "duration" had no effect. This has been fixed.
- DVDSubEdit no longer complains about the full title not having been loaded if you drag/drop a complete set of VOBs and try to re-time.
- Fixed a bug in Beta 0.86-0.87 that caused "Apply to All" to not work well unless the vertical move slider was used.
- DVDSubEdit no longer crashes when it encounters a badly formed spu (missing packs for example).
- Release Date: Feb 1, 2006
- The UI has been reworked to make room for more features.
- Added option to change subpic colors. When applied to all, the color change is only applied to the subpics that share the same CLUT.
- Added Optical Character Recognition, using the amazing GOCR code by Joerg Schulenburg.
- Added option to select subpics based on OCR content.
- Added search field to seach for specific strings in the subpic's OCR output.
- Added "Save OCR results as text file".
- Ctrl-C now works in the command display area and the OCR display area.
- Added "Save subpic as PPM file".
- DVDSubEdit no longer refuses the open read-only files (but it refuses to save modifs!).