VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms (95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images.
I basically started VirtualDub in college to do some quick capture-and-encoding that I wanted done; from there it's basically grown into a more general utility that can trim and clean up video before exporting to tape or processing with another program. I released it on the web and others found it useful, so I've been tinkering around with its code ever since. If you have the time, please download and enjoy.
Modified versions of VirtualDub:
- VirtualDubMod - A popular modified version of VirtualDub with improved stream handling and other features
- VirtualDub MPEG-2 - modified to support MPEG-2/ASF/WMV input
For your VirtualDub questions, please refers to our VirtualDub Forum
, and let our resident experts answer them for you.
The official change log for version 1.8.6 (Build 30009) is as follows:
- [bugs fixed]
- Wheel scrolling in the Set Text Information dialog closes the edit control.
- Save Segmented AVI now works with VBR audio.
- Animated GIF export now fails with an error if the current output format is compressed or otherwise not supported.
- JobControl: Fixed crash when one machine attempts to run a job in distributed mode right when another machine deletes it.
- JobControl: The filter crop mode saved in jobs was opposite from selected. (This only affected YCbCr cropping.)
- Capture: Fixed crash when capture driver sends audio samples when DirectShow graph is not running.
- D3D: Fixed sporadic crash on lost device.
- D3D: Fixed Direct3D errors when display debug information is enabled and a video filter fails to initialize.
- Frameserver: Frame rate adjustments weren't always propagated correctly.
- [regressions fixed]
- Fixed crash when using fast/normal recompress mode without a video codec.
- Fixed divide by zero crash when loading video and a video filter in the list is unable to initialize.
- Changing the "source rate adjustment" option no longer invalidates the current selection.
- Rendering would loop endlessly if an error occurred during video compression and threaded compression was disabled.
- Disabling the "directly decode YCbCr formats" option works again.
- Filters: lMicrosecsPerFrame and lMicrosecsPerSrcFrame were reporting milliseconds (broken since 1.8.0).
- JobControl: Fixed case where a non-distributed "load job list" command can fail due to erroneously running distributed-mode code.
- JobControl: Fixed problem where dialog would suddenly close when editing job names.
- Script: Fixed crash when removing video filter from filter chain.
- DV: Audio decoding works again with NTSC DV files (broken since 1.8.4).
You may download this updated version of VirtualDub here