DVD Rebuilder is a DVD backup tool for making high quality DVD backups. DVD Rebuilder only works with unprotected/unencrypted discs.
From the Readme:
Over the course of the past couple of years DVD back up techniques have changed
dramatically. Newer "one click" programs have made backing up a DVD a fairly
simple process... but there is a significant trade-off. The quality that can
be attained by even the best of these programs is poor in comparison to original
techniques that used Cinemacraft Encoder, TMPEGENC, or other top-notch encoders.
The reason is simple. When using one of these encoders the picture is rebuilt
from scratch and optimized for the resulting bitrate. One-touch transcoders
usually drop DCT coefficients or change quantization info in order to lower the
bitrate. This can result in pixelation and poor overall picture.
But, man, they sure are convenient.
That's where DVD ReBuilder (DVD-RB) comes in. This program was built to bridge
the gap between the incredibly easy but limited "one-click" solutions and the
incredibly complex but high-quality methods of DVD back up.
Another advantage of DVD-RB when compared to older methods is that it doesn't
require access to an expensive authoring package. DVD-RB includes its own
reauthoring engine that reconstructs the DVD in a way compatible with its
During beta development (software testing associated with this new product) the Pro version is only released to those who contribute to the development through donations of either their time (extensive testing and reporting) or a monetary donation. These "VIPs" receive regular automatic updates via e-mail as new versions of DVD-RB Pro are released. When DVD-RB Pro is released as a final product (version 1.00), VIPs who have donated at least $10.00 (or equivalent time and effort) will become members of the DVD Rebuilder charter team -- and will receive version updates for the life of the product. Those waiting until official release will be required to pay the $29.95 commercial price (happening very soon).
For your DVD Rebuilder questions, feel free to post it in our DVD Rebuilder Forum
and let our resident experts answer them for you.
The official change log for version 0.98.2 is as follows:
- Made several important improvements to the authoring engine. Updated multiplexing and timing algorithms to more accurately adhere to standards.Made several bugfixes to the engine and corrected a situation in which runt VOBUs could be createdunder certain circumstances.
- Fixed a bug related to building of the reference frame index in the NavPack.
- Corrected a rare but possible "skipping" problem that could happen on certain players as a result of DVD-RB's handling of some recent HC versions.
- Improved recognition and handling procedures for STILL frames and scene changes.Reduced the likelihood of unnecessary segment breaks.This could improve processing speed and reduce complexity.
- Updated the encoder calling routine to enable scene detection during usage of HC Encoder.It defaulted to "off" in previous versions.
- Updated the installer to include HC Encoder v0.19.1.
- Other minor and cosmetic changes.
You may download this updated version here