The K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools. Codec is short for Compressor-Decompressor. Codecs are needed for encoding and decoding (playing) audio and video. The K-Lite Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly solution for playing all your movie files. With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play all the popular movie formats and even some rare formats.
The K-Lite Codec Pack has a couple of major advantages compared to other codec packs:
* It it always very up-to-date with the latest versions of the codecs.
* It is very user-friendly and the installation is fully customizable, meaning that you can install only those components that you really want.
* It's easy to make an unattended installation.
* It has been very well tested, so that the package doesn't contain any conflicting codecs. It tries to avoid potential problems with existing codecs and even fixes some problems.
* It is a very complete package, containing everything you need to play your movies.
* There are different packages. From small to extra-large.
There are three versions of the K-Lite Codec Pack: Basic, Standard and Full.
Basic contains only the most essential things. It contains everything you need to be able to play the two most popular and widespread formats, DivX and XviD. It is small enough to fit on a single floppy. Also great for including on your movie cds.
Standard contains everything you need to play all the most commonly used formats. This package should be enough for the average user.
Full contains even more codecs. It also has encoding support for various formats. This package is for power users and people who do their own encodings.
There was also a Mega version of the codec pack with basically everything, including the Real Alternative pack.
The official change log for version 3.6.2 is as follows:
- Updated ffdshow to revision 1714
- Updated Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder to version 220.127.116.116
- Updated DivX to version 6.8.0
- Updated madFLAC to version 1.5
- Updated Media Player Classic
- Updated FLV splitter
- Added option to use the DivX filter for decoding Xvid video
- Fixed "Reset to recommended settings" shortcut
- Now installs an older version of Haali Media Splitter on Windows 2000 because the latest version is incompatible with win2k
- No longer installs Indeo Audio Codec (iac25_32.ax) on Vista. It is incompatible with some programs
- Gabest MPEG splitter is no longer installed by default on Vista because the buggy Windows Explorer doesn't like this filter
- Enabled error message display for Haali Media Splitter
- The ffdshow whitelist is now enabled by default
- Minor changes
You may download this updated version here